Turning a skull I found into european mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning a skull I found into european mount

I found a blacktail fork-horn shed last weekend, and decided since it was in
    good shape, dry and bleached out by not eaten by critters, to do something with
    it. I took pictures as I went along.

Step 1: soak for a couple days in a pail with water from my pool (for some
    chlorine in it) to loosen up remaining brain/spinal cord and other stuff inside
    that could only smell bad in the future. I found a piece of threaded 1/4-20 rod
    worked great for dislodging and removing the stuff inside the brain cavity.
    Pressure washed as much as I could get out, and also did the antler to remove
    dirt- leaving them white.

Step 2: Using some plumbers epoxy stick (I love that stuff for a thousand
    different projects and repairs) I pushed it inside the skull wherever 2 pieces
    of the bone where loose and moving around. No picture, but when I was done it
    was not visible from the outside, and the skull was much stronger mechanically.
    Glued the teeth in using some fletching glue.

Step 3: Masking taped the horns at the bottom, wrapped the rest in aluminum
    foil to keep paint off.

Step 4: Put on a heavy coat of BINS sealer/primer. Helps the paint stick and if
    there is any meat left behind, seals it in so it does not ever smell.

Step 5: Painted the skull black. I really like this black paint, it goes on a
    lot thicker than typical paint, dries to a satin finish, and gives the skull
    almost an appearance that it was dipped in a plastic coating, smoother than it
    was before.

Step 6: The antlers were white and I wanted darker/ natural. I tried some tung
    oil, but it did not darken them, so I went to some wood stain. I used a light
    maple stain, but they came out darker than I planned, but OK. When stained and
    a solid color, they did not look natural. So I sprayed some of the black paint
    on a paper towel, and then rubbed it into the antlers where I thought they'd
    naturally have the black from rubbing against trees. No science to, I did a
    little, looked at it, and did it again. Then I put a coat of tung oil, to give
    them a little shine.

Here's the final product- it did not come out bad for an hour's work and using
    up some cans of spray paint I had sitting on a shelf. I'm not sure what I'll do
    it next- maybe make a plaque to display on a wall.

Hope it helps somebody else do it.

Looks good. I never thought about using the epoxy from the inside. I will definately be using that trick

Comment

That looks pretty sharp - I like the dark horns.

Comment

I like the chlorine idea, gonna try this weeknd

Comment

nice tricks

Comment

Looks kinda evil... Im diggin it. Nice job.

Comment

Nice mount.

Comment

Nice job Bill

Comment

Looks cool!

Comment

I likes!!

Comment

Looks good. like you said great way to use up some old cans of spray paint!

Comment

pretty cool

Comment

Cool!

Comment

I'm thinking about putting a wooden dowel into the hole at the base of the skull with the front at an angle to be able to glue in securely then using that to mount to a plaque or weathered board for a wall mount.

I still don't know what I'll do with it- I have an 'understanding' with my wife as to new animal mounts in the house. I may hold this to donate as an item for some future benefit event- or bring to a Bownanza when I can get to one as a give away. Don't know.

Comment

Looks great!

back in the day, you could have left the foil on the antlers and stuck it on top of the tv set! lol

Comment

Working...
                              X