Portable tripod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable tripod

I am wanting to build by own portable tripods for hunting areas where I can't have a permanent stand. I have looked at some of the ones available for sale, but I like building stuff and want to build my own. I am thinking of using a couple of climbing sticks for one leg and chain link fence top rail for the other two.

Has anybody else here built one that they wouldn't mind sharing some tips or techniques on. Pics would be very helpful also.

Thanks in Advance.

James, here's 3 of the 6 that we built earlier this year. They are basically a knock off of the South Texas Tripod. I used 1 1/2" EMT for the legs, 3/4" rebar for the steps and foot rests. The most difficult part of the build was fabricating the leg supports. I bent 1/4" flat bar and thru drilled it and the leg and fastened together with 3/4" x 3" grade 8 bolt. These tripods are 13' at eye level and quite portable. I've since added a padded rail around the chair that has a removable gun rest for bow hunting.
    Attached Files

Comment

Awesome, that is exactly what I am looking to build. I looked at theirs at the Extravaganza, too. I want to take something on my archery hunt at Mason Mountain, besides a pop up. I will post some pictures up when I get them built.

Comment

Can you post some up close picks of the tripods, I would like to try to build one?

Comment

PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you some higher resolution pics that you can zoom. Unfortunatly I don't have detailed pictures.

Comment

nice ace

Comment

any idea how much you got into each one?

Comment

This one breaks down so it can be transported as well. I can convert it from 9 feet tall to 15 feet.

Comment

Reel Screamer I've got around $110.00 out of pocket however I used quite a bit of scrap for the foot rest and seat assembly. The greatest expense was the legs, seat, fasteners, and camo duct tape.

Comment

Here's the kind I build.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here's a crude sketch of the tripod base assembly and seat assembly. I captured all that I could remember. You will need to play around with the base assembly height of the rod and pipe length on the seat assembly depending upon your height.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here's a crude sketch of the tripod base assembly and seat assembly. I captured all that I could remember. You will need to play around with the base assembly height of the rod and pipe length on the seat assembly depending upon your height.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Sweet, thanks Ace. I plan on building a couple soon. I will post up some pics when finished.

Comment

Aggiebush, my leges are 1 1/4" EMT and the part on the head that they slide into is 1 1/2" EMT that is 20" long. That way one stick of the 1 1/2 and six sticks of the 1 1/4 will make two blinds with no waste. Be sure to use 1/2" cold rolled for the steps as anything else will bend on you eventually.

The chair is made of 3/8" rebar and the swivel is a 3/4" all thread coupler on a piece of all thread rod welded to the plate on top of the head. I make a leg set for the chair to use in ground blinds. Here is what it looks like.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I gonna make some for my brother and I this year. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                              X