how to feed deer and not bears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to feed deer and not bears

I hunt in oklahoma and last year i hung a feeder up in a tree . Well you know what happened the bear moved in and i did not see a deer until i had a encounter of the close kind and ran the bear off. What can i do to feed the deer and not the bears?

Originally posted by hunterman View Post
    I hunt in oklahoma and last year i hung a feeder up in a tree . Well you know what happened the bear moved in and i did not see a deer until i had a encounter of the close kind and ran the bear off. What can i do to feed the deer and not the bears?
    Shoot the bear.

Comment

Good question.

Comment

When you figure that out, let the rest of us know.

Eagle

Comment

they tore down 18 of 21 feeders on our Red River county lease. We used to whine about coons

Comment

Not a whole lot you can do to keep the bears out. Feed pens are ineffective. The only thing I can think of would be a electric fence like those made by Gallagher. I believe they are making models designed for feeders. They consist of a multiple strand vertical wire set up which allows the deer to jump over but other animals can't get through.

Comment

shoot the bear!

Comment

IDK theres no bears in south Texas , i would put an arrow in him though

Comment

Where I live & hunt (Maryland/West Virginia) we have almost as many bear as deer. What I do is build a "knee" brace out of aluminum & mount about 15 off the ground, on the side of a large tree. The "knee" brace sticks out about 5' off the tree. I then have (2) pulleys on the knee brace, one at the end (that my fedder hands from) & one close to the tree, then I take a boat winch & mount about chest high on the bottom of the tree. I use 1/8" cable from the winch up thru the pulleys & connect to the feeder, I.E. to raise & lower my feeder.....this way the bears cant climb the tree & tear up the feeder..... The deer in these parts arent affected by bear BUT they both wont feed at the same time...LOL
                  Another old trick (to scare off the bears) is to take a baloon, pour some white vinager in it, then finish blowing it up...smear peanut butter on the outside of it & hang it up where a bear has to stand up & reach over his head for it...when they go to grab it, it busts & splashes the vinager in their eyes, & he'll never be back! (the smell only spooks the deer for a few days)

Comment

Use "deer" corn, instead of regular corn..."deer" corn only attracts deer!?! (J/K of course) Good luck!

Seriously, when you say you had it "up in a tree", what do you mean, exactly? Did you use a pulley, a series of pulleys, rope just draped over a limb, etc?

Comment

Thanks for the advice I will try the knee brace method and pullies and hope for a bear rug if that dont work.

Comment

bear proofing feeder

hanging feeder from tree, wrap tree trunk with sheet metal high as u can, pop rivet together, paws slide rite off

Comment

Tag him and bag him. That's all there is too it.

Comment

Bear taste good too!

Comment

Working...
                            X