Rod Bearings .010
    Hi-Temp Head Gaskets
    Cast HD Pistons .030
    AMC Oil Pump kit (Bulltear)
    HRC gears (Bulltear)
    Nickel Oil Filter Adapter (Bulltear)
    Nickel Timing Cover (Bulltear)
    Oil Pan (Trans Dapt Slam Gard)
    Headers (Edelbrock Ceramic Coated Shorty's)
    Valve Covers (Legend Black Powder Coated) (Bulltear)
    Piston Rings
    Lifters
    Flow Kooler Water Pump

Sill need to pick up a few things:
    MSD 6AL
    MSD Distributor
    Plug Wires

Pics!!

Short block is assembled, the machinist said the long block would be finished first week of aug. Then it's time for the real fun.

the truck it's going into. back in 2000 when it was still running.

More to come, as the engine is completed, and the truck starts getting worked on.

-Matt

The motor sure looks good, it ought a run good... Keep the updates coming

Comment

Good fondation for project !!! Keep us posted .

Comment

Love the old J-10's.

Comment

nice truck, more pic's

Comment

nice project truck keep the pics coming

Comment

Cant wiat to see it finished

Comment

UPDATE!

Heads are done with valves, springs, roller rockers, & pushrods.

Enjoy.

-Matt

Comment

i'm getting excited for you

Comment

nice

Comment

now that thing should run good

Comment

Update!

The engine has left the machine shop, completed! Now to get it on my engine stand at work, and finish the details before I get it dropped back into the truck.

-Matt

Comment

Great project! I love the old J-trucks.

Is this going to be a streeter or something that you'll take off road?

If off road, I'd consider a different carb. The Edelbrocks are great in a street rod, but fuel tends to slosh and leak out of the bowls and they starve or flood out in bumpy or uneven terrain (it's scary when you stall when going downhill!) They do make an "off road kit" but performance gains are marginal at best.

The good ole Rochester Quadrajet is about as solid of an off road performer as you can get.

Some folks like the Holley Avenger carbs, but I think they're trot-line weights (I have no love or patience for anything Holley)

If you want drop-dead reliability, nothing beats fuel injection. There are loads to choose from, DIY, Howell, F.A.S.T., Edelbrock etc. The Howell kit is easy to install and tune, the FAST kit has so many options it's overwhelming at first. I've not installed a DIY or Edelbrock, so no feedback on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                            Great project! I love the old J-trucks.

Is this going to be a streeter or something that you'll take off road?

If off road, I'd consider a different carb. The Edelbrocks are great in a street rod, but fuel tends to slosh and leak out of the bowls and they starve or flood out in bumpy or uneven terrain (it's scary when you stall when going downhill!) They do make an "off road kit" but performance gains are marginal at best.

The good ole Rochester Quadrajet is about as solid of an off road performer as you can get.

Some folks like the Holley Avenger carbs, but I think they're trot-line weights (I have no love or patience for anything Holley)

If you want drop-dead reliability, nothing beats fuel injection. There are loads to choose from, DIY, Howell, F.A.S.T., Edelbrock etc. The Howell kit is easy to install and tune, the FAST kit has so many options it's overwhelming at first. I've not installed a DIY or Edelbrock, so no feedback on them.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm really looking to finish the build as a weekend driver/ duck truck (pull the duck boat to the lake). Not really looking to off-road a lot in it. I would love to go EFI, but I'm so far out on my budget already it's rediculous.

A few years down the road I might upgrade to aluminum port/polished heads and go EFI assuming I've got some other things finished on it.

At this point I need some help setting up the carb for the first start. (I understand you don't want to over crank a new cam/lifters) So any suggestions on getting it to fire up first try? I really don't have any patience for carbs either...

-Matt

Comment

who makes the carb? ( so we have a place to start)with all you are doing, the are some many bolt on EFI kits, I'd do that...

Comment

Working...
                              X