Camper Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camper Rebuild

Well, I am starting to rebuild my camper from ground up. I bought it for $500 a few years ago and it had a few leaks in it. I feel like this thing is going fall apart if I pull it down the road. It is 16' long, but since the wheels are centered (too far forward) I am just going to make it 12' long with a 4' porch on the back. I have tore it down to the trailer frame this week (the frame is in really good shape) and most of the wood was rotted so much you could stick your finger through it. My goal is to get it built to the point I can use it this season and then add some other stuff to it later.

I am just going to build it out of 2x2 and sheet metal. BTW I have a few things to get rid of if anyone wants it, I will list it in the classified. I am just going to put in 2 bunks, sink and a few shelfs. If any one has any suggestions or comments let me know, this is the first time to build a camper. Here is a pic of the camper before I started and I will post some pics as I go, and I hope to get it done before season starts.
    Attached Files

It might be a lot of work, But it's just about the right size.

Comment

The one that was in the Around the Campfire that was converted out of an enclosed trailer turned out nice. It might help you get some interior design help.

Comment

Keep the pics coming. My trailer's not much better. I'll probably be remodeling after season.

Comment

Sweet! Ive been wantin to remodel an old Airstream.

Ill be watchin!
          Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
          l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
          ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

A fellow I used to hunt with did this,except he used 1in square tubing on 16in centers and 1/2-5/8 plywood for the walls,double 3/4 for the floor....I wish he had it closer,the thing would withstand a bomb blast...no worries about hurricanes...tie it down and go in and watch TV...he built in a generator so it was self contained...cool and safe...few small barred windows,the bars are welded to the tubing supporting the walls, a steel door in a steel frame,so it will be good for the South Texas lease......
            Last edited by Winman; 07-09-2010, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Winman View Post
              A fellow I used to hunt with did this,except he used 1in square tubing on 16in centers and 1/2-5/8 plywood for the walls,double 3/4 for the floor....I wish he had it closer,the thing would withstand a bomb blast...no worries about hurricanes...tie it down and go in and watch TV...he built in a generator so it was self contained...cool and safe...few small barred windows,the bars are welded to the tubing supporting the walls, a steel door in a steel frame,so it will be good for the South Texas lease......
              Great idea...I just don't have that much time to put into it or a wire welder. I can do a stick frame a lot faster.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the upcoming pictures/ A buddy of Mine did the same thing with the 1" metal tube and that thing is strong as all get out.

Comment

Here it is stripped down to the trailer. I am going to strip the rust off of it and then paint it before I start building the cabin part.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
                    It might be a lot of work, But it's just about the right size.
                    x2

Comment

Not meaning to highjack your thread but I wonder if someone could make a car hauler trailer out of a camper frame

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 7 View Post
                        Not meaning to highjack your thread but I wonder if someone could make a car hauler trailer out of a camper frame
                        I would think it would work, I don't see why not

Comment

Looking good.

Comment

It looked fine the way it was... LOL

Comment

Made a little progress, may have to take a couple of vacation days to get work into it. Anyway, I ran som angle iron down the sides and the middle to make the floor a little more sturdy and put a coat of spray paint on it that I had laying around. I know I missed some spots and will put another coat before I start laying down the floor. I also need to run my wiring for the trailer light as well. Here are some more pics...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X