A Texas Star Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bohicawest View Post
    It is confusing but I tried it and the angles don't line up. We need more info beside the angles. If I need a jig show me. Also does the length of wood matter I am guessing and I am only working on the center star. Has the original person that posted been reading these posts?
    The jig is the 6th pic down on original post. It is a simple angled guide on a sled with a hold down clamp. The sled runs against a tablesaw fence. It will give you precisely the same angle every time. Multiple jigs can be made or an adjustable jig can be made for when you need to change the angle.

Comment

I guess I could try that but I am doing this all on my miter saw.

Comment

Wildthings, did you try it?

Comment

I am going to try something this weekend.

Comment

These are slick

Comment

Originally posted by Bohicawest View Post
              Wildthings, did you try it?
              Nope not yet - hopefully this weekend depending on the wife and grandkids and what their plans are that always includes me doing something LOL

Comment

Originally posted by WildThings View Post
                Nope not yet - hopefully this weekend depending on the wife and grandkids and what their plans are that always includes me doing something LOL

Great let me know how it turns out.

Comment

Wow someone really dug deep for this one, from June of 2010. My how time flys, I would be willing to help anyone build these when I get back in the Austin area, right now in Pyote yes Pyote lucky me.

Comment

Originally posted by thebowhunters View Post
                    Wow someone really dug deep for this one, from June of 2010. My how time flys, I would be willing to help anyone build these when I get back in the Austin area, right now in Pyote yes Pyote lucky me.

I think it was me. I want to build one of the inner stars but can't get the angles right I am using a miter saw. You use a table saw with a sled. Can you show me how you did that?

Comment

I can but not right now and cutting from the bottom with table saw and cutting from the top with miter saw just changes the left and right cuts. the angles are still the same. the first one i did was on a miter saw but I'm a table saw kind of guy. You can build bigger stars with a miter saw.

Comment

The important thing to note with a miter saw is that the angles on the gauge are in reference to 90 not zero. So a 10° angle on the miter saw is actually a 100 or 80° angle.

Comment

Well my problem I think is the 126 degree cut when I try and put it together there is a gap between 2 of the points. So what should I set my miter saw to so it will be correct? It looks to me it may be closer to 65 degree to line up.

Comment

I'm going to need a lot of caulk and paint.........

Comment

Your 126 angle should be created by a 18 and a 36 at opposing ends. If i were to make one on a miter saw i would probably draw a perfect star on single layer cardboard, cut out one of the 10 identical pieces for a pattern, mark my wood with that, and then i could see exactly what needed to happen to get the cuts with the miter saw. Me personally, i would cut just outside the lines and then sand to the line for a nice fit.

Comment

I made them just like that and they line up when laying flat but when putting together in 3d they don't.

Comment

Working...
                                X