Game Hoist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by huntmaster
    Dale, is that a beer holder below the pivotpoint on yours?
    Originally posted by Dale Moser
    Yes sir.
    And you acted like I was crazy when I asked if those were beverage holders on your ladder stand!

Comment

They Don't Have Bottoms In'em!

Comment

Dale is that a glass of tea behind the beer holder????
        Thanks for the ideas guys

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          Hey Skeeter....is that Noah upset that you killed one of his matching pair of deer?
          That's funny, 'cause I was gonna suggest that Santa took out one of his sleigh team for a snack!

Nice work, guys.
          If I didn't think my opinion was right, then it wouldn't be my opinion. So, any other opinion must be wrong, therefore stupid.

Comment

I did my hoist a little different. It mounts in the bed. There is also a plate under the truck, these two plates sandwich the bed. The lower section slides through the tube on the bed rail and into the base plate.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	23816236
            There is the slide in lower section and then the jib.

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	23816237
            Lower section in place. That is a 1"5/8 cold roll rod as a swivel and break down point. The jib rotates on a plate rather than the tube itself. the plate has holes for a pin to lock the hoist in any direction.

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	23816238
            Everything in place.

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	23816239
            Inside view of the winch and control in it's holder.

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	23816244
            Side view of winch, pinned in place.

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	23816240
            Winch.

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	23816241
            Trolling motor plug.

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	23816242
            Trolling motor plug in bumper.

Name:	9.jpg
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	23816243
            In action.

Name:	Skinnin1.jpg
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	23816245
            The hoist is a one man setup and breaks down to store.

Comment

Those are some great designs! I love this new DIY section. So many ideas, so little time.

Comment

Here's one not built yet but in my head. It's combination game hoist/feeder filler. Please excuse the poor Cad program (Paint) and everything is sure not in proportion or even close to scale but yall get the idea. Also feel free to throw any suggestions my way.

My feeders are fairly tall and right now I stand on the bed rail and closed tailgate and can barely get the sack over.

I have a turn over gooseneck hitch so I figured to drop the ladder end into it to help stabilize it. Then pin it where it meets the platform.

Name:	untitled.JPG
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	23816362
                Here's a back view and I have two vertical pieces with drop down legs to add further stability.

Name:	back view.JPG
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	23816363

Over kill?
                Last edited by Cotton; 11-08-2006, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Built this one a few years ago. Kind of over did it though. I used 1/4" thick 2" tubing. It will probably pick up an elephant if the truck would handle it If I ever build another one, which I plan on doing I'm gonna use 11 gauge steel instead. I also made mine to swivel so you can load your animal into the back of the truck. Since I used 1/4 thick steel it didn't make it any waeker. I used a piece of solid round bar for the swivel part. The main thing I wanted was to be able to open the tailgate when using it. Many of the ones I found commercially available to buy didn't extend far enough for the tailgate to open.

I also use this break apart gambrel. It takes up a lot less room and will handle as much weight as any one piece steel gambrel and you can store it in a small bag.

Last edited by bzzboyz; 11-08-2006, 11:26 PM.

Comment

How tall are you'all making them above the tailgate or overall........I figured at least 3ft from the reciever on the truck and about 7ft height ?

Comment

Expressfish, It really depends. Do you want it to be tall enough to pick up feeders and possibly blinds(tripods)? Do you drive a short bed or long bed P/U? Mine originally was 3' from receiver to pivot point and the 6' jib. I like 6' because it will fit in the bed, if I drove a long bed my jib would probably be longer. I like to build more than I need and not need it than need it and not have it. I've seen the horizontal run on the jibs be anywhere from 2' to 4', depending on what you want. Mine in current configuration is 2'-1"-3/4 for the bottom slide in, 6'-0"-1/4 for the jib, 3'-11"-1/2 for the horizontal and 2'-9" from the ground for a grand total of 10'-11". There is really no wrong way to build one, other than building it too lite and trying to pick up too much.

Cotton, I like that design because I too have stood on the top of the tailgate and bed rails filling feeders and NOT liked it. I would put a pivot point(s) in the vertical run(s) just for folding up and storage. If you have to drive under trees to get from feeder to feeder, that thing would be a PITA to have to take down and put up each time. Leave the platform in the receiver hitch and lay down in the bed. Get to the feeder and stand back up and put your diagonal brace back in place and pin it. The piece in the gooseneck could be rotated out of the way left or right so the platform would lay in the back of the truck. I would definitely put the outriggers on that system. I would build that system a little lighter than a traditional game hoist (11ga) due to amount of steel in it.

You know a crank up winch would be a lot easier than building all this.

Comment

Good idea on the piviot. It would cost considerble more to convert all my excisting feeders than it would be to build this.

The above is a little over kill and I have a much simpler idea in mind that doesn't include a hoist or near as much metal. It just wouldn't be as much fun to build!

Besides I live by your signature line!
                        If more is better,then way too much is just about right!!

Comment

If it ain't no fun to build then it ain't worth building!!

Comment

gotta plan !!!!!!! 30bucks in material , can of krylon and away we go........

Comment

Thanks for all the great looking examples. Have any of you ever forgot and left it in the hitch when you headed home?

Comment

Cotton, just a thought. Chicken and I have often thought of building something extremely similar for the Slack Ranc. I would fore-go the 2 feet, in favor of a good heavy ratchet strap run from the top corner of the bed, up and around the platform and back to the other corner of the bed. I built a "prototype" of sorts one time and she was plenty stout that way.

It never occured to me to attach this rig to a hoist, but we very well may do his that way now.

Comment

Working...
                                X