• Show
Clear All

Wow, that sucker is going to last forever

Looking real good so far

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

So nails or screws?????

When we built ours, we used nails, and within a year or two it was almost a weekly thing to have to walk out and screw up a plank or two. After claudette took care of the fence for us, during the cleanup process I found that the nailed pickets could be pulled apart with one hand, while the ones that we had gone back and screwed couldn't even be pried apart. The board would actually break before the screws would budge from the 2x4s.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletpusher View Post
          I used 2.5" ring shank galvanized nails on mine, with no rust streaking after 10 years. When you hang your gates hinges, don't use lag screws, they will loosen over time. Go ahead and get carriage bolts, drill through and bolt down. I sprayed all bolts, washers ,and nuts with clear Krylon. This really killed any chance of rust even starting.
          Take his advise about the lag screws My gate came lose today and I am having a pain trying to fix it. Idiots I paid to install it cut the 4X4 too short so I am thinking to do it right, I am going to have to dig out the 4X4 and set a longer one in there.

Not happy

Comment

Now that's my kind of fence.

Comment

I decided to go with screws, and even though it is taking much longer to put it up I believe it will the best decision in the long run. I have not made it to the gate design portion of this project yet, as I just got the corner stone pillar up and pickets across 1 side. Pics to come of the progress.

Comment

Here is one side, pillar complete and all the pickets up. Too bad this is the 52' section and I've got about 250' to go plus the gates.

Comment

wow, looks great

Comment

Looks Great, keep up the good work

Comment

WOW! That is going to be a stout fence! Looks great!

Comment

any more pics on this old post?

Comment

Dude nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like the extra fancy work. Nice.

Comment

Crazy to see this old thread coming back from the depths of the green screen. I actually finished that fence, moved a couple years later, and now have built a similar fence at my new location that is already a couple years old.

Comment

Working...
                              X