Project: Huntin Rig.....Codename: SCRAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project: Huntin Rig.....Codename: SCRAT

I bought this 4Runner about a month ago, been tinkering with it ever since. I incurred a couple extra expenses that I wasn't planning, but that's normaly the case I guess. My wife doesn't trust a vehicle without a name, so we're calling it Scrat, after the crazy little animal in the movie Ice Age.

The day I got it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	4runner1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	24786032

As you can see above, all these old 4Runners have the saggy butt look from the rear coils getting tired over time. I thought about taking them taken out and having them re-worked, or ordering new ones with a little lift. But I really wanted some "adjustability". Sometimes I haul a LOT of crap to the lease, and I plan on using a hitch rack for some of it which creates more saggy butt issues. The solution was clear, and relatively cheap at 85 bucks delivered.

AirLift air bags.......

Name:	Airbags.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	24786033

Nice and level.........running boards gone too!

Name:	Level.jpg
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	24786034

I replaced the CV boots, and shocks up front which made the ride MUCH better, along with some new shoes.

Name:	Shocksboots.jpg
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	24786036

Took it to the lease this weekend for the 1st shake down session and it performed flawlessly! If not for the mud, the absense of the front to back graphics would be more evident.

Name:	4runnermuddy.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	24786038

These wheels were on my dad's old Z-71 when he sold it and I made him take them off 1st, sure glad I did. They are Mickey Thompson Classics, I had them powdercoated last week and I think they look great with the 265/75/16 BFG Mud Terrains...they dig good too!

Name:	Mickey.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	24786035

The previous owner had a big stereo system in it, and when I got it the factory stereo was just settin in a "Cave" in the dash not even screwed in. Got the brackets and "Cubby hole" underneath off ebay and got everything bolted up right. I also replaced the A/C blower switch (thank you BillW), made me a custom John Daly 4wd shifter knob (thank you Heath), and I'm working on using this Fuller shifter knob that came out of our old Mack....complete with range selector and splitter switches. Also note aftermarket cupholder, air freshener, and parts store floormats.

Name:	Interior.jpg
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	24786037

Yet to come are rifle holders, custom bumpers, and possibly a roof rack with spare tire and Hi-lift jack mount, compressor, and more 12V plugs...

Got my sticker on too!

Name:	back.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	24786039

Budget is shot for now......but I already have the steel for the bumpers....Hmmmm???
    Last edited by Dale Moser; 11-09-2009, 11:37 AM.

I can not wait to ride in that beast!

Comment

Good looking ride Dale.

I missed a deal on a '91 about a month ago. Still kicking myself for not calling the guy earlier than I did.

Comment

Nice looking ride, Dale.

Comment

get rid of the chrome fender flares and door handles. maybe linex the whole thing inside and out after you get your bumpers? moneys the only thing holding you back, the skys the limit with projects like this

Comment

Well done Dale! What kind of mileage did you get with the new tires.

Comment

Originally posted by tmag592 View Post
              Well done Dale! What kind of mileage did you get with the new tires.
              Not sure yet, I was getting 16.25 consistantly with the 31X10.50s. I just had these tires put on Friday...literaly on the way to the lease.

Jackh, I've thought about taking off the flares just to see what it looks like.....if I don't like that look I think I'll rough'em up with some 100grit and black'em. The carpet is staying! I'm drivin the thing back and forth to work and the lease as well to save mileage on my other truck, so some creature comforts need to stay.

I'm not much of a mechanic, but this thing has been pretty fun, and easy to work on thus far. Also I have my own compressor and air tools now, which is a luxury I didn't have when I used to work on my truck in high school.

Comment

Congrats Dale!

Comment

Looks good Dale! Mad skilz as usual!

Comment

Gota love a good Yota! Them bad boys will last forever! Nice lookin' ride! Been wantin to get one myself.

Comment

No welding done yet? Blasphemy!

Comment

I've got to clean out dad's shop before the welding can start, I may start that tonight.

Comment

I'm diggin the cup holder, and the new tires man. Lookin good.

Comment

Lookin' good, Dale.

Comment

nice!

Comment

Working...
                              X