Feeder Drum Corn Guage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder Drum Corn Guage

I haven't actually tested this idea, but here are my preliminary thoughts on how to make a sight glass for your metal feeder barrell.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	23825092

When I actually put one together, I'll take pics and do a step by step illustrated write up.

I did that on several feeders a few years back. Instead of putting a long strip down the side of the barrell - I just put as small circular "window" in each of the 3 sections of the barrell. Didn't work so well, once the inside of the window got coated with corn dust you couldn't see through it to tell where the corn was.

Trailboss

Comment

How big were your windows?

Comment

I am sure your company would be proud of you for taking the time to draw that while at work . Of course, I am just guessing you didnt do that on your lunch break!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I can't believe that you would even insinuate that I would do that at work!
          I do have the same software at home ... coulda done it last night, you know!

Comment

feeder corn guage

I was thinking about something like this as well. Instead I was going with something like the old water tanks with a float.

A fair sized flat weight would sit on top of the corn when full. The weight would be connected to a thin cable which would run thou a small hole with a gasket in the side of the barrel near the top. On the outside the cable would be connected to a small weight (marker) that would hang down the side of the barrel.

The lower the weight on the out side the higher the corn level. When corn is used the larger weight that sits on top would drop thus raising the outer weight to show the corn loss. You could paint lines on the side to indicate amounts left or just mentally think it is opposite.

Comment

Set one leg on a digital scale, and reset to zero with the feeder empty. Fill it and note the weight, then do the math to figure out how full it is each time you check.

Comment

With the weight apparatus, you'd have to dig it out of the bottom of the barrell each time you filled it, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                  I can't believe that you would even insinuate that I would do that at work!
                  I do have the same software at home ... coulda done it last night, you know!
                  Two words; YA RIGHT!

Comment

So ... at least I don't sit at work all day and read this forum!

Oh, wait a minute ... never mind!

Comment

The weight idea is good if a solid (semi solids such as corn) behaved as liquids, but as corn flows out of a barrel, a shaft filters from the top, all the sides funnel into that shaft...so I see a potential for the weight to plug the opening before the barrel empties.

Comment

I would use GE 100% sillicon Window and Gutter calking as a sealer. It's some of the best water resitant seam sealer I've found yet.

Comment

I am pretty lazy so I just use the knock knock method.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
                            I am pretty lazy so I just use the knock knock method.
                            As I sit here ashamed of my lack of skills I started to think the same thing! My knuckles tell me alot about feeder levels!

Comment

Who's there?

Comment

Working...
                              X