Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
    So it’s a marijuana issue?

Does that also apply to guns, knives, no arrest for speeding tickets, no more than a $200 fine for traffic citation, etc.?

I wonder if you took a poll on TBH asking:

A. Do you want the cities to control whether you can have a gun on you, a knife on your person, the police can arrest you for speeding, the police can have quotas, the city can set as much fine a wish, including jail time for a traffic citation, etc.

B. Do you wish to have the state limit a city’s authority?

I wonder how that would play out.

I will leave this quote from Mather Byles leading up to the American Revolution:
    "Which is better, to be ruled by one tyrant three thousand miles away or by three thousand tyrants one mile away?"
    Without a constitution guaranteeing the important rights neither government is one Texans would want to live under. You could ask question A and substitute state for cities and get the same answer.

Comment

FTR, I just used those scenarios as examples. I'm not a fan of MJ legalization until they develop an accurate way of testing drivers under the influence.

Comment

Can you just imagine driving across a metromess like DFW or Houston and the laws were completely different in each suburb you passed thru. Some that outlawed guns and some that outlawed smoking in your own vehicle or having a cell phone turned on or even the color of the vehicle you were allowed to drive thru that city. I know the examples are ridiculous but whatever the whole mess would be FUBAR.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
          Can you just imagine driving across a metromess like DFW or Houston and the laws were completely different in each suburb you passed thru. Some that outlawed guns and some that outlawed smoking in your own vehicle or having a cell phone turned on or even the color of the vehicle you were allowed to drive thru that city. I know the examples are ridiculous but whatever the whole mess would be FUBAR.
          Unfortunately your examples aren’t ridiculous.

Yes, it would be a mess. Wait until a city can determine who owns a gun, who is allowed a drivers license, if you can carry a pocket knife in public (which started riots across the country because of such a Baltimore, MD city ordinance), traffic fine limits, etc.

Some ideas genuinely sound good. Then if we start thinking the idea out, it might not result in the outcome desired.

Comment

Again, we have this now with the United States of America. Is that a ridiculous idea that you can drive across the country through states with completely different laws in each one? Nope all that's needed to prevent such ridiculous laws is a solid constitution. With one, autonomy for counties and cities would prevent Texas from becoming California. Because if/when the liberals do add enough bodies to the major cities, they will be forcing ridiculous laws down the throats of every county and city/town. And Texans will be the ones involved in the mass exodus to places like Oklahoma.
            Last edited by donpablo; 05-15-2023, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
              Again, we have this now with the United States of America. Is that a ridiculous idea that you can drive across the country through states with completely different laws in each one? Nope all that's needed to prevent such ridiculous laws is a solid constitution. With one, autonomy for counties and cities would prevent Texas from becoming California. Because if/when the liberals do add enough bodies to the major cities, they will be forcing ridiculous laws down the throats of every county and city/town. And Texans will be the ones involved in the mass exodus to places like Oklahoma.
              You are equating driving across Texas to Oklahoma and maybe several hours later, into Missouri with driving across 20 jurisdictions in DCW in 30 minutes.

Toss in, the federal government has a whole list of restrictions of what states can do. It starts off with the Bill of Rights and goes on from there.

You mentioned driving across the country but again that is from the United States having a Constitution and laws saying another state cannot stop you doing so. Again you have the large government telling the states that they can’t restrict travel. Citizens of Louisiana can’t legally stop Texans from driving across their state. It is not because Louisiana is being nice because the United States federal government has said they can’t do it.

It know you have made your decision so I guess that is the hill you will die on. I think that most people would not want autonomous cities acting essentially with state like authority.

What next, HOAs or government housing authorities making their own laws?

This thread started out as a question of an electoral college type election for (I guess) the governor but now it has become, let’s have a free for all hodgepodge of laws across 254 counties and who knows how many cities.

If you think that one centralized government is bad, wait until there is 657 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                You are equating driving across Texas to Oklahoma and maybe several hours later, into Missouri with driving across 20 jurisdictions in DCW in 30 minutes.

Toss in, the federal government has a whole list of restrictions of what states can do. It starts off with the Bill of Rights and goes on from there.

You mentioned driving across the country but again that is from the United States having a Constitution and laws saying another state cannot stop you doing so. Again you have the large government telling the states that they can’t restrict travel. Citizens of Louisiana can’t legally stop Texans from driving across their state. It is not because Louisiana is being nice because the United States federal government has said they can’t do it.

It know you have made your decision so I guess that is the hill you will die on. I think that most people would not want autonomous cities acting essentially with state like authority.

What next, HOAs or government housing authorities making their own laws?

This thread started out as a question of an electoral college type election for (I guess) the governor but now it has become, let’s have a free for all hodgepodge of laws across 254 counties and who knows how many cities.

If you think that one centralized government is bad, wait until there is 657 of them.
                You Sir, are a depository of legal wisdom that I admire and respect and I appreciate your posts. But I'm afraid you will not change your mind and I will not change yours. I wish our state government was set up the way our federal government and I know that it is not. Our states' rights are what saves us from the current idiocy that has infected our federal government. I try not to be a pessimist but I cannot help but wish we had some similar protection from the state government. I pray we will never see the day when they (the state legislature) find themselves in the same state of mind as those we are dealing with in the federal government now. If we ever do though, you might understand where I was coming from. God bless you. And thank you for your insight over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                  I pray we will never see the day when they (the state legislature) find themselves in the same state of mind as those we are dealing with in the federal government now.

This is exactly what outside money from people like Soros and big tech is trying to do. They start with prosecutors and DA's and on up the line. Turning Texas blue is their number one target. They know if they can turn Texas Blue they will have their dictatorship. A red Texas is the #1 obstacle against the liberal establishment. If Texas falls they all fall.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                    This is exactly what outside money from people like Soros and big tech is trying to do. They start with prosecutors and DA's and on up the line. Turning Texas blue is their number one target. They know if they can turn Texas Blue they will have their dictatorship. A red Texas is the #1 obstacle against the liberal establishment. If Texas falls they all fall.

Yep!

Comment

Working...
                    X