Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

ATF conducts surprise inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATF conducts surprise inspection

The homeowner was alerted there were trespassers on his property by motion detectors outside his front door. A live video feed from his doorbell camera showed three armed men wearing tactical vests, t-shirts and jeans. Two appeared to be ATF agents. The third was a Delaware State Police trooper. None wore body cameras.

The homeowner, who did not want his name used in this story, is a small businessman – a law-abiding citizen who even ATF acknowledged had done nothing wrong. He went to his front door hesitantly. He left his doorbell camera running to record the encounter.

The homeowner confronted the three men before they reached the door. “Can I help you?” he asked, stepping onto the porch.

The older ATF agent told him they were assigned to a task force investigating straw purchases. A straw purchase – a federal felony – occurs when someone buys a firearm on behalf of another person, who is unable to legally purchase a firearm themselves.

The agent said they were verifying that people who bought multiple firearms still had the guns in their possession. The homeowner had bought seven firearms since January 2022.

Read more about it here:
    The ATF didn’t have a shred of probable cause in this case. In fact, all they had was an internal email stating “make sure this guy’s got his guns.”

Without a warrant you can tell them to get off of your property.

Comment

Please post political and non-hunting current events to this forum. Personal attacks and disrespect in posting will not be tolerated.

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
        Without a warrant you can tell them to get off of your property.
        True. Then they’ll come back with one. Trash your house and shoot your dog. And maybe you and your family.

Comment

Where's the law stating I have to keep a gun for X amount of time. I've bought guns and realized I wanted something else and sold without ever shooting them.

Comment

There is no law stating you have to keep a gun for a certain time...the main take away from this is do not purchase two or more handguns and/or AR/AK styled like long guns (border states, thank you fast & furious) from the same dealer within 5 working / business days if you do not want your local CLEO & ATF to know.

The dealer is obligated by law to fill out the forms.

Comment

This can't be real.

Comment

I thought the ATF wasn't suppose to keep track of people purchasing guns?

Comment

By law, the atf had to be notified by the dealer due to the multiple gun form...atf was making sure he still had them in his possession & not a straw purchaser.

Pretty much the definition of their job...if they hadn't checked, he was a dirty buyer & the gun ended up in another mass shooting?? Folks would then be asking why they didn't even follow up after the forms were sent in.

Again, a multiple form sends one copy to chief of police or sheriff & atf with the makes, models & s/n's of what was purchased with the buyers info that was filled out on the 4473.

Comment

Its all part of the PLAN

Comment

I don't buy guns from FFLs anymore, just people like me. But, this kinda stuff makes me think about buying 5 ARs from Academy just to screw with the ATF. What are they gonna do?

Comment

Originally posted by 67olds442 View Post
                        This can't be real.
                        It is very real. Welcome to the USSA.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                          I don't buy guns from FFLs anymore, just people like me. But, this kinda stuff makes me think about buying 5 ARs from Academy just to screw with the ATF. What are they gonna do?
                          I dare ya!

Comment

I’ve been asked by dealer in past if I bought another pistol within 5 days as it creates more paperwork due to reporting. Just spread purchases out and done worry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Who decides if you are a “dirty buyer”? I’ve sold guns within 24 hours simply because I didn’t like the trigger !

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                              By law, the atf had to be notified by the dealer due to the multiple gun form...atf was making sure he still had them in his possession & not a straw purchaser.

Pretty much the definition of their job...if they hadn't checked, he was a dirty buyer & the gun ended up in another mass shooting?? Folks would then be asking why they didn't even follow up after the forms were sent in.

Again, a multiple form sends one copy to chief of police or sheriff & atf with the makes, models & s/n's of what was purchased with the buyers info that was filled out on the 4473.

Comment

Working...
                              X