School shooters and psychiatric drugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School shooters and psychiatric drugs

Seems like something worth looking into.

39 school related acts of violence—school shooters and stabbings committed by individuals under the influence of psychiatric drugs that can cause violence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been making that point for many years because I read a similar article or study. That’s why when I hear about a mass murder or just a kid in general committing some side of horrific crime I want to know what they are on. And in a lot of cases if we are honest the peeps might not be to blame for their crimes. I mean a kid who is placed on these drugs by adults and can’t quite taking them really should not be held responsible for things he can’t control

Comment

And that's what gets these people life in prison after committing these acts of violence. Can't sentence them to death because they're mentally disturbed. Well no duh, they snapped for no reason and killed people. It's pretty obvious they're not mentally stable. How about keeping knives,bombs and other weapons out of the hands of these people? If you know they're crazy then maybe get them some help. But where? Loony bins don't really exist anymore. Seems like maybe they were a thing at one time for a reason.

But no we keep crazy sedated with drugs to the point that they become dependant on them. Eventually they don't work anymore and since they're just out mingling with the rest of society they can just kill whoever and they don't have a conscience about doing these things because they're either drugged up or not drugged up enough. You can't call crazy,crazy anymore. I don't know the technical term is and honestly I don't care. Crazy is crazy. Call it what it is and lock these people up until they're done being crazy. If they don't stop they don't get to play with the rest of the group.

I also think this mental illness stuff is a cop out as well. Oh he can't be put on death row he's nuts. What!?!?! Yeah exactly. That's kind of the point. You lock crazy people up BEFORE they kill people. Oh whoa, what a far out there idea. It just might work.....you know......kind of like the way it always did before. If I can figure it out you'd think other people would be smart enough to.

If you don't lock them up and your son or daughter is a psycho maybe a gun ain't the best Christmas gift. You know? If they're in garage taking apart leftover fireworks maybe check in on them. You know what I'm sayin? I know it might be a surprise that your kid is a freak but they just might be and as a parent it should be pretty easy to see.

"What are you doing there kiddo?"

"Taking black cats apart and making pipe bombs."

"Ok sport, when your done come take your Zoloft it's almost time for bed."

There's a lot of stupid when it comes to these school shooters. Most, if not every time someone or everyone knew the kid was a flippin weirdo. But they didn't say anything about it.
      Last edited by okrattler; 07-05-2022, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Also I don't know if over time people have just gotten dumber or what but it seems like it. Look at any mass murderer or pretty much any murderer in general. Physically look at their mug shot and tell me you couldn't tell that person was a goober. Have we gotten to the point as a species that our survival instincts suck that bad?

Last Summer I walked into the grocery store and the first person I saw was a Mexican dude with a bandanna over his face because, "covid." He had tattoos on his neck and parts of his face I could see. I stopped and thought to myself "Could I kill this guy right now if he tried to kill me? Nope, don't have a gun on me." I assumed he did and he looked like a frickin dumbass so I turned around and walked right back out. Took my business elsewhere. Do people not do that anymore? It's okay to judge people. Knowing when you could get dead is a good skill.

Seriously it's okay to question your surroundings. You know things like "Is that guy gay or is he trying to dye his hair to look like that theater shooter guy?" Or "Is that black guy over there getting aggressive or just using his normal voice because he doesn't have an inside voice?" You know.....stuff like that. I can tell just by seeing a face tattoo if I trust a person or not. Probably in less than one tenth of a second. For example if there's a tattoo on your face, I don't trust you.
        Last edited by okrattler; 07-05-2022, 02:23 AM.

Comment

I’m highly skeptical of the corollaries being drawn in this article. To suggest that the combination of antidepressants and stimulants can turn a fairly “normal” young person (almost always a male) into a psychotic rampage killer seems like big leap to me. Rather, I suspect these young people had mental or behavioral problems to begin with. Else why were they placed on these drugs to begin with.

I had the privilege of attending an event about twelve years ago at which Adm Bobby Inman, USN (Ret) was the keynote speaker. The topic of his address was based on what he saw as the five biggest threats to the U.S. and our way of life. One of the threats, he stated, was domestic terrorism. He went on to say that the profile of the domestic terrorist describes a young male (after puberty), who has grown up without the firm guidance of a strong male role model, who spends a lot of time on his computer in self-imposed isolation. Because of this, he never develops appropriate social skills nor coping skills, is anxious, angry, and frustrated, who is disenfranchised from normal society and, therefore, seeks confirmation from nameless, faceless predators on the internet who validate and inflame his rage.

The science shows that THESE are the conditions that spawn the domestic-terrorist-slash-rampage-killer more than the drugs.
          Last edited by ThisLadyHunts; 07-05-2022, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
            I’m highly skeptical of the corollaries being drawn in this article. To suggest that the combination of antidepressants and stimulants can turn a fairly “normal” young person (almost always a male) into a psychotic rampage killer seems like big leap to me. Rather, I suspect these young people had mental or behavioral problems to begin with. Else why were they placed on these drugs to begin with.

I had the privilege of attending an event about twelve years ago at which Adm Bobby Inman, USN (Ret) was the keynote speaker. The topic of his address was based on what he saw as the five biggest threats to the U.S. and our way of life. One of the threats, he stated, was domestic terrorism. He went on to say that the profile of the domestic terrorist describes a young male (after puberty), who has grown up without the firm guidance of a strong male role model, who spends a lot of time on his computer in self-imposed isolation. Because of this, he never develops appropriate social skills nor coping skills, is anxious, angry, and frustrated, who is disenfranchised from normal society and, therefore, seeks confirmation from nameless, faceless predators on the internet who validate and inflame his rage.

The science shows that THESE are the conditions that spawn the domestic-terrorist-slash-rampage-killer more than the drugs.
            Awesome post and info provided. I too am on the side of those kids were put on drugs for a reason.

Comment

Yeah seems like I’ve heard or seen similar study & correlation
              I’ve always said it’s hard to really do anything unless a valid with proof threat is made
              Sure you can identify some red flags but then you are stereotyping or profiling
              It’s hard to ever really predict what someone is truly capable of
              I don’t believe any professional can truly without a doubt say this person or that person will eventually snap & go on a mass shooting spree
              I don’t see how our judicial system will even allow it until after the fact
              First order of treatment for mental illness is medication & now we have some correlation related to these drugs. You think Big Pharma is going like this

Comment

Meh, I wouldn't blame an inanimate object like a pill, just like I don't blame a gun. I would blame terrible parenting, broken households, and no fathers in the home. I blame those who make excuses instead of making better decisions.

This Lady Hunts basically nailed it.

Comment

We are probably doomed based on this
                  My guess it’s a fairly high % of lacking social skills & inundated by technology via gaming, phones, iPads etc
                  My wife teaches first grade in a well known “very good” school district local to us and she has some stories of some of her kids & their home life as being troubling
                  I’ve heard others say that they believe many parents use the school system as a free baby sitter
                  Sad thing is the deterioration of the home life has been on steady decline

Comment

The medication is a chicken and egg debate. Was the kid unstable and therefore prescribed meds? Or did the meds create a waterfall effect? We do know from the med warning labels that anti depressants in teens can cause increased thoughts of suicide, so it’s not far fetched that adding a stimulant could create a more manic side effect, so it cannot be discounted.

But I tend to agree the absence of a strong mature male role model is a critics piece, one which our society refuses to look at because it’s generally anti masculinity and doing so could cause society to admit the importance of men.

A podcast I recently listened to described masculinity in developing young men as an electrical current. Electricity is a powerful source when properly directed, but dangerous when it is not directed (think a downed power line). Boys must be taught to harness their power, to conduct it with intent and purpose. Most of these boys have never been taught to direct their masculine power is a positive and constructive manner, the outcome is destructive

Comment

^^^ I’m impressed by Playa’s analogy

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                        Meh, I wouldn't blame an inanimate object like a pill, just like I don't blame a gun. I would blame terrible parenting, broken households, and no fathers in the home. I blame those who make excuses instead of making better decisions.

This Lady Hunts basically nailed it.

Not trying to argue at all, and I agree 100% with you, but let's say he was geetered out on meth, would you say the same?
                        I see all the time on here, people always want to blame the drugs.
                        "He was a pillar of society until meth got him"
                        "He was a great kid until weed got him"
                        Etc....
                        Like you I would never blame the drug, but firmly believe they do enhance things, whether for good or bad.
                        Adults it's not hard to blame them, they are trusted to make smart descisions.
                        Kids not so much, especially with all the chemicals their parents are running through them combined with a developing brain.

Comment

Too many baby makers, I won't even call them parents, that instead of fixing the real issue (bad behavior, lack of discipline, no father figure, kid actually has something else going on) just pump the child full of drugs to make them behave. The worst is when the kid suddenly stops taking the cocktail and loses it. Do the drugs make things worse in some cases? Sure. So do violent movies, video games, recreational drugs, any other scapegoat you can name. You can blame all those things, but these kids doing crazy things are on society and the adults, period.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                            Not trying to argue at all, and I agree 100% with you, but let's say he was geetered out on meth, would you say the same?
                            I see all the time on here, people always want to blame the drugs.
                            "He was a pillar of society until meth got him"
                            "He was a great kid until weed got him"
                            Etc....
                            Like you I would never blame the drug, but firmly believe they do enhance things, whether for good or bad.
                            Adults it's not hard to blame them, they are trusted to make smart descisions.
                            Kids not so much, especially with all the chemicals their parents are running through them combined with a developing brain.
                            In this hypothetical situation, a little digging almost always shows underlying problems. I've had multiple friends who were "good guys", who my parents told me I need to hang out with more instead of the crowd I kept (My crowd shot guns and went mudding way too much, which was expensive and we were poor).

Those "good guys" now work at fast food, big box stores, one is dead, and in general, have not lived as good of life as they could have. The one that died was a "good guy" who had to be killed by police after he attacked them. So I rarely believe folks if they say he was a "good guy".

On the other hand, my friends that were considered "bad influences" are now are mechanics, plumbers, PM for turnarounds, PM/Owner of a regional construction company, and multiple engineers at multiple car companies. They are still rough around the edges, and thank God for that.

Keep in mind, I consider my experience completely anecdotal, and may not be the experience of others. So I am probably jaded.

Comment

Because of this, he never develops appropriate social skills nor coping skills, is anxious, angry, and frustrated, who is disenfranchised from normal society and, therefore, seeks confirmation from nameless, faceless predators on the internet who validate and inflame his rage.

And I also believe that anti-gun groups and Dems have algorithms set up and people trolling the internet chatrooms looking for these people to do exactly what you mentioned in the last sentence. They "nameless, faceless predators convince the down and out person to engage in gun violence. This is part of their effort to convince others that we need more gun control.

Comment

Working...
                              X