A comparison of the beginning of the Great Depression and now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A comparison of the beginning of the Great Depression and now

In our technological times, we have the entire worlds knowledge at our fingertips. However, it can be so overwhelming that it is difficult to absorb all the information that is put in front of us. I’m no better at this than any of you, but I am seeing something happen more and more often that is disturbing to me. Normalcy bias is what it is called. This is what Wikipedia says about Normalcy Bias;

Normalcy bias, or normality bias, is a cognitive bias which leads people to disbelieve or minimize threat warnings. Consequently, individuals underestimate the likelihood of a disaster, when it might affect them, and its potential adverse effects. The normalcy bias causes many people to not adequately prepare for natural disasters, market crashes, and calamities caused by human error. About 70% of people reportedly display normalcy bias during a disaster.

Now let’s get into the meat and potatoes of this post.

We are entering another Great Depression, but this one coming up has all the signs of being MUCH worse than the last one. There will be those who say I am fear mongering, but it is my belief that they are just a victim of normalcy bias. It hasn’t ever been really really bad so it never will be is the mindset that they have. So, here is a comparison of the times at the beginning of the Great Depression compared to what we are experiencing right now.

Population:

In 1930 the United States had a population of 122 million.

Now we have a population of about 350 million, or close to 3 times as many.

Infrastructure spending:

In 1930 we were spending 0.9% of total GDP on infrastructure. This peaked at just over 1.1% to GDP in 1970(not counting the years during WWII). As of 2019, infrastructure spending was down to just 0.7% of GDP. So we are spending 0.2% less now than in 1930, but we have 3 times as many people.

Needless to say, our electrical infrastructure is in dire straits and as a country, already is having problems supporting the current population(look at all the recent electrical provider initiated blackouts in the Midwest for example).

Stores:

In 1930, the vast majority of stores were independently owned, and for the most part, stores focused on necessities.

Today the vast majority of stores are chain stores, and the vast majority of the merchandise in the stores are things that we don’t need, but we want.

Over the last few months, a disturbing trend has developed where these chain stores are reporting dismal earnings, major supply chain issues, and are even laying off employees. Stores can not stay open if they are loosing money. With no improvements in the supply chain on the horizon, how will these big chain stores stay open? Stores in smaller cities have the likelihood of closing before stores in big cities do.

Supply chain:

In 1930, we were for the most part, self sufficient. Imports and exports were about equal. Now however, we are a net importer with a vast majority of our needed goods being imported. WWII did not get going until 1939 whereas today we are already seeing a war, granted not a world war but it is one that has GREATLY adversely effected the supply of goods throughout the world.

Water:

The dust bowl did not start until 1934. So in 1930, there were no water shortages. Today we have Lake Mead at the verge of being considered dead pool. California has just stopped irrigation of some fruit and vegetable farms. The only way these farms can continue irrigation is if they have an old agreement with the state. This effects thousands of farms in California. About 2/3 of the vegetables, fruits, and nuts that we consume come from California. So how is that going to effect the availability of said food in stores in the months to come?

I’m not even going to get into the similarities and differences in the stock market from then and now. There are a few other differences that could be brought up, but solid numbers are hard to find. Like how many people had their own back yard garden in 1930 compared to now, how many people actually had electricity then verses now, ect.

One common theme keeps emerging though. We are seeing worse conditions now than what we saw at the beginning of the Great Depression. One really big difference between then and now is the skill set that people had back then verses the skill set people have now. Those skills are what helped people to make it through the Great Depression. Back then, manual labor is all people knew. There were no computers, no automation, and very few people had cars.

Now our economy is directly tied to the world’s economy, primarily due to our imports. When the worlds economy goes down hill, ours does too. There is nothing that we can do right now to stop this. We have been outsourcing so much over the last several decades that we do not have the manufacturing capability to fix this. In order to fix this problem, trillions of dollars would have to be spent to build factories. But who will work in those factories? We have a HUGE labor problem right now which they did not have at the beginning of the Great Depression. It was not until 1933 when unemployment peaked, which was a whole 3 years into the depression.

The above is not my opinion, it is all facts. So, it is not fear mongering. If facts scare you, then you need to reassess your situation. This is NOT the end of the world, but it does show that times are about to get REALLY tough. It is not too late to prepare for this, but it is getting more and more expensive to do so.

Start looking at your particular circumstances. Do you have a way to get water that is not from a public water source? Do you need refrigeration to keep meds cool? If you need refrigeration, what are your plans for an extended power outage? How about food? Wild game was almost eliminated during the Great Depression. With 3 times as many people, you can not rely on game. Do you have a garden? Now is the time to make mistakes. You don’t want to be making mistakes when your life and the lives of your family hang in the balance.

Prepare now my friends.

Good post

Comment

Dead on. The US is for all practical purposes, insolvent. If the USA was a company, they'd be out of business. History repeats itself and what is even more frightening is what it took to bring the country out of the Great Depression?

Comment

Their aim is to reduce our numbers, make anyone left suffer to the point where we will embrace their rule over us.

Comment

Originally posted by Let's go Brandon! View Post
          Their aim is to reduce our numbers, make anyone left suffer to the point where we will embrace their rule over us.
          They’re not doing a very good job of reducing numbers by leaving the gate open at our Southern border.

Comment

They'll turn us all into beggars 'cause they're easier to please.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m always prepared to take care of myself.
              Not doing the “sky is falling” thing. If that’s what you need to motivate you to be prepared, you do you.
              I’m interested, only mildly, in the social psychology of the doomsday thing. I think it plays on the same evolved tendency toward vigilance and fear that marketers and the media play on.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                I’m always prepared to take care of myself.
                Not doing the “sky is falling” thing. If that’s what you need to motivate you to be prepared, you do you.
                I’m interested, only mildly, in the social psychology of the doomsday thing. I think it plays on the same evolved tendency toward vigilance and fear that marketers and the media play on.

Umm….. did you read where I stated this is not the end of the world? It’s not doomsday. You should know all about the social psychology of it though as the libs are always screaming “THIS IS THE END!!!”.

Global cooling is gonna kill us!!
                Tax decreases are gonna bankrupt the nation!!
                Global warning is gonna kill us!!
                Global sea rise is gonna kill us!!
                The republicans are gonna put y’all back in chains!!
                The dark winter of the unvaccinated is upon us!!
                Ect.
                Ect.
                Ect.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                  They’re not doing a very good job of reducing numbers by leaving the gate open at our Southern border.
                  To be more specific, the numbers they want to reduce are the ones they cannot presently control. They're going to need slaves and useful idiots.

Comment

Biggest issue IMHO is that we have gotten fat and lazy as a society. You don’t see teenagers working, for example mowing lawns. This is what I observe anyways, it seems too many folks don’t want little Johny to have to work hard for anything.

Comment

Here are my sources for all of the info in case anyone would like to check for themselves:

This year, Chain Store Guide celebrates its 80th anniversary. In honor of this occasion, we are hosting a monthly series of editorials called "Chain Store Guide Throughout The Ages", starting this month with the 1930s.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                        Biggest issue IMHO is that we have gotten fat and lazy as a society. You don’t see teenagers working, for example mowing lawns. This is what I observe anyways, it seems too many folks don’t want little Johny to have to work hard for anything.
                        X2
                        The hard working generation is a dying generation
                        New generation = we want it now & we don’t expect to work hard for it

Comment

It's not time yet IMO.

My guess is the markets tank more after the FED raises another 75 basis points next month. Then the FED talks about holding off and seeing what happens...Markets put in an extreme rally like never before seen... Everyone (like 98% of us) think inflation has peaked and FED is now neutral so things slowly get better. And they do slowly get better for a while. How long is the question.

But I agree the USA is at the weakest point it's ever been. Wouldn't take a lot to break us at this point. But we can always print more money and hold off hyperinflation 5-10 more years.

Comment

Most people tend to think the market crash that helped spur the Great Depression happened in a very short period of time. While black Monday occurred on October 28th of 1929, the bottom was not hit till the summer of 1932. So it actually took almost 3 years and the DOW lost 89% of its peak.

For comparison, our current peak happened on January 5th at 36,952. Since then, it has dropped on June 17th down to 29,912. That’s a drop of a touch over 7,000 points, or about 20%. That’s not nearly as bad as what it was at the beginning of the Great Depression, but as I pointed out above, the fundamentals of our economy are a whole lot worse now than what it was back then, and we haven’t seen the worst of it yet.

Inflation is not over, and the true inflation rate is a LOT more than the official government number of over 8%. In order to bring inflation under control, we would have to have more goods than what demand for them is, and that is just not happening. If anything, imports have dropped due to countries banning certain exports, and due to the lockdowns that occurred recently in China. See, we don’t have a problem where we have too much money in people’s hands that is causing inflation(we did see this recently, but not right now), we are seeing a lack of goods and a lack of labor that is driving inflation. So until the labor problems are sorted out, and until the whole worlds supply chain is fixed, inflation is going to continue. If the FED were to increase the interest rate enough to get inflation under control, it would absolutely destroy the economy. This is because the true inflation rate is near 20%!

Hyperinflation is a term to describe rapid, excessive, and out of control price increases in an economy. While we have not seen widespread hyperinflation, we have seen it recently on a smaller scale. Remember lumber prices last summer? It was common to see 400% price increases in lumber, with some going up higher than that. You have to keep in mind that the items going up in price the fastest and most are NOT included in the government’s official inflation rate. So because the government doesn’t track it, does that mean it’s not happening? Of course not. But it is a way for economists and the government to paint a much better picture of the economy than what it actually is.

Keep in mind too that a lot of other factors are occurring now that we’re not present in 1929, and the Federal Reserve in 1929 was still in its infancy. Quantitative Easing has been a way for the FED to kick the can down the road, but roads do not go on forever. We are in really bad shape, economically speaking, and very few people are raising the alarm about it.

Sources:

On Black Monday, October 28, 1929, the Dow Jones Industrial Average declined nearly 13 percent. Federal Reserve leaders differed on how to respond to the event and support the financial system.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                              Good post
                              X2!

Comment

Working...
                              X