Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do Baby Boomers blame their kids and grandkids instead of themselves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do Baby Boomers blame their kids and grandkids instead of themselves?

Im sure there are a lot of baby boomers on TBH, so thought I would pose this question. (I am one of the last Gen-X kids)

Considering that a child's behavior is a combination of genetics, taught behaviors, and up-bringing, why do I constantly hear Baby Boomers complaining about the younger generations vs blaming themselves for the dumpster fire this country is becoming?

Since the Boomers took the reins in the late 60s, debt has risen dramatically, work life balance has become skewed, college cost has increase 2580%, the middle class has been decimated, educations has become indoctrination, and first time homes have never been less affordable. We've also allowed the mental health and education of our boys to decline year after year.

Why is it the younger generations that are at fault, vs the people in charge that are raising them, setting policies, running the government, running industries, staying in the work force longer, forgetting the family, etc...

Annnnnnnd go. Let's try to keep things civil!

A very good (existential) question!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
      Im sure there are a lot of baby boomers on TBH, so thought I would pose this question. (I am one of the last Gen-X kids)

Considering that a child's behavior is a combination of genetics, taught behaviors, and up-bringing, why do I constantly hear Baby Boomers complaining about the younger generations vs blaming themselves for the dumpster fire this country is becoming?

Since the Boomers took the reins in the late 60s, debt has risen dramatically, work life balance has become skewed, college cost has increase 2580%, the middle class has been decimated, educations has become indoctrination, and first time homes have never been less affordable. We've also allowed the mental health and education of our boys to decline year after year.

Why is it the younger generations that are at fault, vs the people in charge that are raising them, setting policies, running the government, running industries, staying in the work force longer, forgetting the family, etc...

Now that you have indicted everybody between about 60 years old and 78 years old……

You think they are the problem in this country right now?

Strangely, much of the current legacy does not come from the baby boomers but from the silent generation before the baby boomers. It is some of what is called the greatest generation. The current welfare system and the “Great Society” that started us down the road toward government dependency and anything goes started before the baby boomers ever came into power. Lyndon Johnson who signed his Great Society legislation which of my opinion has destroyed the black community, certainly was not a baby boomer.

Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden for example are not baby boomers. Then you step up a couple of generations and you come up with The Squad containing the likes of AOC. I can promise you that baby boomers have no problem defining a woman, don’t think that junior high boys should be able to shower with girls because they are feeling feminine that day or taking away a cell phone is proper punishment.

The spiral downward in this country is not from generations but a political party or philosophy that has convinced a segment of people that the government is the solution to our problems when in truth, the government is our problem.

But do you honestly believe the people between 60 and almost 80 years old today are the ones pushing for men to compete against women by claiming that they are women, believes that the green new deal is the way forward immediately, etc.?

The new Supreme Court justice, Ketanji Brown Jackson, who cannot define what a woman is, is like you, a Gen Xer.

Comment

The problem in the 60,s was “tune in, turn on, and drop out”. The rise of liberals. I used to say the Lord’s Prayer in school as well as the Pledge of Allegiance. We all did. We removed God from our schools and liberalism filled the void. Poverty, crime, totalitarianism, and misery are hallmarks of the Democratic Party.

Comment

tvc184 definitely said it better, but all of the problems stem from the politicians IMO. Yes, we are responsible for electing them, but what they do once elected is out of our hands.

Comment

Dang ol be the change you want to see cmon

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
              Now that you have indicted everybody between about 60 years old and 78 years old……

You think they are the problem in this country right now?

Strangely, much of the current legacy does not come from the baby boomers but from the silent generation before the baby boomers. It is some of what is called the greatest generation. The current welfare system and the “Great Society” that started us down the road toward government dependency and anything goes started before the baby boomers ever came into power. Lyndon Johnson who signed his Great Society legislation which of my opinion has destroyed the black community, certainly was not a baby boomer.

Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden for example are not baby boomers. Then you step up a couple of generations and you come up with The Squad containing the likes of AOC. I can promise you that baby boomers have no problem defining a woman, don’t think that junior high boys should be able to shower with girls because they are feeling feminine that day or taking away a cell phone is proper punishment.

The spiral downward in this country is not from generations but a political party or philosophy that has convinced a segment of people that the government is the solution to our problems when in truth, the government is our problem.

But do you honestly believe the people between 60 and almost 80 years old today are the ones pushing for men to compete against women by claiming that they are women, believes that the green new deal is the way forward immediately, etc.?

The new Supreme Court justice, Ketanji Brown Jackson, who cannot define what a woman is, is like you, a Gen Xer.
              Very accurate assessment.

Comment

Here’s how I see it from a Gen Xer point of view.

Every generation wants for their kids to have it better than what they had it. There’s nothing wrong with that. However, as time goes by, no one generation since the “greatest generation” has experienced a massive hardship(the Great Depression). So the reason behind a lot of what the “greatest generation” tried to pass down has been lost. This is not just knowledge about how to deal with the hard times, but it is also handing out discipline, instilling morals, ect. As time has gone by, each generation has gotten further and further from what traditionally made this country great.

So I don’t see it as a single generation who is at fault but rather ALL generations hold some responsibility for the boat we are in. What I do see as a REALLY bad thing that is coming is with our economy, utilities, and goods availability. Very few people are truly self sufficient which is a trait that those who lived through the Great Depression had. The times we are living in right now are MUCH worse than what they were at the beginning of the Great Depression. We as a nation are about to experience what “hard times” really means.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                  The problem in the 60,s was “tune in, turn on, and drop out”. The rise of liberals. I used to say the Lord’s Prayer in school as well as the Pledge of Allegiance. We all did. We removed God from our schools and liberalism filled the void. Poverty, crime, totalitarianism, and misery are hallmarks of the Democratic Party.
                  I approve this message. We were allowed to actually mention Gods name in public in the 60 and 70s. And then came the train wreck. EVERYONE has rights now. I believe that we should only have 2 rights. The right to succeed or the right to fail based on our own beliefs, performance and lifestyles. But that’s just me. It doesn’t make me right and it doesn’t make me wrong.

Comment

For every right that's legislated a little bit of freedom is lost.

Comment

The greatest generation created "good times",
                      "good times" created soft men...., and here we are at "hard times".
                      Ease of life & a idle mind created this maelstrom, along with the passivity of the boomers.
                      Prior to the boomers, there was very little passivity vs post.
                      Imo

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post

I totally agree with you, Kevin. I've thought this for a long time. If one generation isn't raised right, and they are responsible for raising the next generation, then the next generation is going to be even worse off. And this spiral will just continue.

But if you think about it, placing all the blame on the previous generation pushes the blame game back indefinitely. Why didn't the baby boomers raise their kids right? Well, it's because they didn't know how, and they didn't know how because THEIR parents didn't raise THEM right. And why not? Well, because THEIR parents didn't teach THEM right. And back and back it goes.

Eventually, the only way out of this quagmire is for people who weren't raised right to take ownership of who they are and stop blaming other people for what they've become. People can simply DECIDE to pursue wisdom.

I highly recommend that everybody read the Proverbs once a year. There are all kinds of jewels in there addressing personal virtues, avoiding things like conceit, gossip, laziness, unfairness, etc.

Comment

Because it’s easier to look out the window than in the mirror.

Comment

My grandpa said he would rather be dead than live through another “great depression “.
                            It doesn’t have to be like this, if we had responsible adults running the country we wouldn’t be in this predicament.
                            Democrats have to go.
                            RINO’s have to go.
                            President Trump is a responsible adult.
                            Grandpa has been gone for over 20 years, but when he lived through it he was a young man and could farm, hunt and work at the gin for $1 a day.
                            They had hand dug water wells with a chain hoist on them so getting drinking water it wasn’t a problem getting water,I drank out of them many times growing up.

Comment

Adults should be able to think for themselves regardless of outside influences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X