No announcement yet.

The drugs and the parents who allow their kids to be put on the drugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The lack of reluctance is a huge issue. I'm sure many parents struggle with putting their kids on meds, but almost all the parents I've known look at it like a right of passage. Once one mom in a group gets their son on something, the rest of them sprint to the doctor asking what they can prescribe for their own.

I've got family who look for every reason to get their kids on something new. Even when I was younger and dealt with friends/classmates. If one kid in the family was on something, you could guarantee they all were.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
      How is it out of context?
      If all drunk drivers have been drinking when they have an accident is that out of context as well?
      Lol
      Well all school shooters use guns… so that must be the common root cause.
      Correlation does not always imply causation.

Your drunk driver analogy is close. But was it the alcohol itself, or did the driver have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol, ie. alcoholism, that hindered their ability to make a rational decision?

Mental disorders are real, mental health is not unlike any other disease we deal with, it is both easier and more profitable to treat the symptoms rather than the cause. I believe adhd and other childhood disorders are real, but I don’t believe that throwing what is essentially Meth at a kid is the right course of action. But it’s much easier than removing screen time and limiting sugar intake and teaching a boy to channel his energy into something worthy.

They do not tell you how physically dependent you become on these drugs. Don’t believe me? I have a friend who was an opiate addict and the symptoms of getting off their anti depressant was almost as challenging as quitting opioids.

I watch my sister in law deal with this with 2 of her 3 boys. And clearly they are both “wired differently”, but I also firmly believe that had she and her husband patented differently the outcome would be better. For instance they don’t spank because “it sets him off”, well no *****… some horses are harder to break than others. They missed their opportunity, when he was spitting in his mom’s face at age 4, he should have been snatched up, bent across their knee and paddled solidly. But that’s not what they did. Consequently, last weekend while we were visiting, he “had a tantrum” (he turns 10 in a couple of weeks) and kicked a hole in his wall.

Comment

There is nothing wrong if your kid requires drugs like riddlin. The problem is parents that are too lazy to parent so they put their kids on it before every other avenue has been exhausted.

The pills are the symptom of poor parenting in a lot of cases. Not every case. But a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post

Your drunk driver analogy is close. But was it the alcohol itself, or did the driver have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol, ie. alcoholism, that hindered their ability to make a rational decision?

Mental disorders are real, mental health is not unlike any other disease we deal with, it is both easier and more profitable to treat the symptoms rather than the cause. I believe adhd and other childhood disorders are real, but I don’t believe that throwing what is essentially Meth at a kid is the right course of action. But it’s much easier than removing screen time and limiting sugar intake and teaching a boy to channel his energy into something worthy.

They do not tell you how physically dependent you become on these drugs. Don’t believe me? I have a friend who was an opiate addict and the symptoms of getting off their anti depressant was almost as challenging as quitting opioids.

I watch my sister in law deal with this with 2 of her 3 boys. And clearly they are both “wired differently”, but I also firmly believe that had she and her husband patented differently the outcome would be better. For instance they don’t spank because “it sets him off”, well no *****… some horses are harder to break than others. They missed their opportunity, when he was spitting in his mom’s face at age 4, he should have been snatched up, bent across their knee and paddled solidly. But that’s not what they did. Consequently, last weekend while we were visiting, he “had a tantrum” (he turns 10 in a couple of weeks) and kicked a hole in his wall.
          Couldn't agree more. If I had done that at that age, there would have been a much bigger hole in the wall next to the one I kicked, where my parents threw me through the wall.

Comment

Even crazy Tom tried to warn us.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRXZ0oant6Q"]Tom Cruise calls out Matt Lauer about prescription drugs on live TV - YouTube[/ame]
            Last edited by LWC; 06-06-2022, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post

I agree for the most part. The difference in the kid on meds and the drunk driver is that in most instances the alcoholic made themselves an alcoholic so the consequences are their own. Most of these kids are placed on drugs by adults “ for their own good” as very young kids. They don’t have a real choice until they are 18. If your mind Is in a constant altered state forced on you by someone else I don’t know how that kid is ultimately responsible for his actions. Absolutely parents suck the last 20-40 years and there truly are evil kids but I’d argue that many young men would make better decisions if allowed to do so. I had a call one night at around 11 pm. This 13 did not want to take his drugs. He said he had been on them for a few months. I asked why he didn’t not want to take them and he said they make me want to kill myself and they make me mean. I’m just a fireman so nothing I could do. I told his parent what he said and that’s all I could do. I still wonder what happen to him.
              I’m only trying to make one point and that is that the possible link of these drugs and death must be visited and studied.

Comment

Adderall is one that I’ve seen abused a TON in people my age and I’m sure younger people as well.

People get dependent on it and at the end of the day, it’s a mind altering chemical not entirely different from good ole methamphetamine.

It’s become so common that people don’t even think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                  Adderall is one that I’ve seen abused a TON in people my age and I’m sure younger people as well.

People get dependent on it and at the end of the day, it’s a mind altering chemical not entirely different from good ole methamphetamine.

It’s become so common that people don’t even think about it.
                  Legal meth is all it is, and just because you're kid is add\adhd, doesn't mean it's ok because "it affects them differently".

Comment

I prolly had all those things when I was a kid but a leather belt healed me of most of them

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                      I prolly had all those things when I was a kid but a leather belt healed me of most of them
                      Well, what do you know? Same thing happened to me. Of course nowadays if a parent does the old woodshed treatment to a kid the parent goes to prison.

Comment

Working...
                      X