Ashli Babbit's lawyer responds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ashli Babbit's lawyer responds

I will preface this by saying she was in the wrong - she and others who stormed the Capital should be arrested. What disturbs me most about this is the lack of transparency about the shooting. The government has not said who did it or why deadly force was warranted. It seems from video and witnesses that she was not a threat and was given no direct command to stop from any of the 5-6 officers close by before one decided to shoot her. This was the lawyer's statement after it was announced that no charges would be filed:

“The shooting of Ashli Babbitt on January 6, 2021 by an unidentified U.S. Capitol Police Officer was an unjustified use of deadly force which violated her constitutional rights,” said attorney Terrell N. Roberts, III, of Roberts & Woods in Riverdale, Md. It is clear from video footage that Ashli did not pose a danger to the officer, or any other person, when she was shot. Ashli was unarmed. She did not assault anyone. She did not threaten to harm anyone. There was no excuse for taking her life,” he added.

Roberts said that it’s “a universal law enforcement standard” that police officers are not supposed to use more force than is required to subdue a suspect or “accomplish a lawful purpose,” noting that Babbitt was small in stature at 5′ 2″ tall and 110 pounds and speculating that she could have been arrested “by a single officer with a set of handcuffs.”

“At the time of the shooting, there were over a half-dozen police officers in close proximity to the Speaker’s door where Ashli was standing. Some of those officers had just allowed protesters access to the door by stepping aside,” the attorney added.

“Other officers, dressed in full tactical gear, stood among the protesters just a few feet behind the door. Still, others stood casually at the opposite end of the Speaker’s Lobby, unconcerned with the activities of Ashli and the protesters around her. All of these officers were in a position to have aided in the apprehension of Ashli if it was necessary. Given her background as a 14-year veteran of the Air Force, it is likely that Ashli would have complied with simple verbal commands, thereby making the use of any force unnecessary,” he added. Roberts noted further that the officer who shot her never made any attempt to actually arrest her, “nor did he call on his fellow officers to arrest her.” Rather, he simply fired at her, striking her in the chest, an account corroborated by people who were there at the time, as well as video of the incident.

“Witnesses confirm that the officer did not give Ashli a single verbal warning prior to firing. In fact, Ashli was not even aware that the officer was present, as he was located in the doorway of a room off to the side of her field of vision,” Roberts said.

“To date, the officer who shot Ashli has not been identified. Neither the Capitol Police nor any other governmental authority has given an account of the facts surrounding the shooting,” he continued.

There has been no official explanation or justification for the use of lethal force in this matter. This lack of transparency impedes the public scrutiny which is necessary to hold government officials accountable in a free society. It also interferes with the ability of Ashli’s family to obtain justice for their loss,” he stated, pledging that his law firm will continue its investigation of the incident and pledging “appropriate legal action” when the probe is completed.

“We call upon the Capitol Police as well as the United States Congress to make public the facts and circumstances of Ashli’s shooting,” Roberts said.

Sad deal. I stand firmly with the police but this case is severely lacking in information and transparency. Where's the media outcry for police brutality in this case? I think we all know.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan C View Post
      Sad deal. I stand firmly with the police but this case is severely lacking in information and transparency. Where's the media outcry for police brutality in this case? I think we all know.
      I think the outcry ends when crawling through windows of the Capitol? Maybe

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan C View Post
        I agree completely, the situation sure appears to be an unreasonable use of force. At the very least, the lack of any transparency whatsoever should frighten every American to their core. Does anyone truly believe the National Guardsmen who are still present in Washington is not being done for reasons other than "security"? It is a show of force by the dems, plain and simple. This country is in extremely perilous times, literally teetering on the brink of blowing wide open with the radical dems running rough shot over the constitution, cancel culture, racial division, and literal terrorist organizations looting and burning our country down city by city. I'm very worried for our Country and its citizens.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
          If that is the case, then why aren't thugs that are burning down building being executed on the streets by officers that are standing by?

Full disclosure: I have not followed any of this info/case or any news networks but only based my judgment on the original post info.

Comment

I don't believe the reasonableness standard established in Graham v. Connor goes out the window that easy. I may be wrong, maybe there is some additional federal law that allows the use of deadly force in this case, I have not heard any explanation on how this would have been justified.

Comment

Yet cities burn because men are killed while committing crimes...

Comment

Originally posted by Lostacresranch View Post
                Yet cities burn because men are killed while committing crimes...
                How many cities have actually gone away due to burning recently? How many city streets have been lost to the riots/looting?

I mean, I know of an incident in Tulsa that involved a few hundred folks.

Comment

Thanks for bringing up Graham v. Conner . These discussions would be a lot more intelligent if people would take the small amount of time to get on the internet and read the following case briefs in order . Tennessee v. Garner - Graham v. Conner - Mistead v. Kibler. Add Onkyo v. Fernandez to the list .

Comment

If there is something specific to the Capital police use of force rules that gives them the right to shoot anyone who is in the capital building without permission, I would like to know that.

Comment

She was in the wrong, stupid games, stupid tricks I get that. But I do feel like she was unjustly singled out for execution.

Also, what if BLM had breached the capital during their riot/protest and one of them were shot by the capital police?

Comment

No Jer wrong- They should release their procedures and what justifies the use of deadly force for that situation. If it exists then Im good with it- Ive said in other thread or this one - if the use of Deadly Force is called for by their policy and SOPs then it is justified.

Comment

Only if you are white. What if she was black? I bet your opinion would change.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                            I will preface this by saying she was in the wrong - she and others who stormed the Capital should be arrested. .[/I]
                            This is what I cannot reconcile re "Storming". I have seen countless videos of them being let in. One where Capitol Police Officers said "we agree with you" or something to that effect.

A Capitol police officer was seen politely holding the door for pro-Trump protesters to walk out of the building after causing mayhem that forced lawmakers to barricade themselves inside.

How can you be invited in and then killed by the very same agency?
                            Last edited by Ætheling; 04-16-2021, 11:24 AM.

Comment

?????????

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJiKVpHlLcU"]Capitol Police Waving People to go In - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                              X