Constitutional Carry in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad96 View Post
    Does this mean that, for the right to bear arms to be a proper constitutional right, the government cannot put any restrictions on it at all? To deliberately take an extreme example, should a convicted felon and diagnosed psychopath with a history of violence be allowed to purchase an M16 the day he or she gets out of jail?

This is a serious question. I'm not trying to score points in an argument, but wanting to understand both sides of this issue. I'm interested in your thoughts, not attacking your position.
    He can answer as well but in a long history of this conversation around here it is absolutely ok for a psychopath to legally purchase a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad96 View Post
      Does this mean that, for the right to bear arms to be a proper constitutional right, the government cannot put any restrictions on it at all? To deliberately take an extreme example, should a convicted felon and diagnosed psychopath with a history of violence be allowed to purchase an M16 the day he or she gets out of jail?

This is a serious question. I'm not trying to score points in an argument, but wanting to understand both sides of this issue. I'm interested in your thoughts, not attacking your position.

Not answering to him but it depends on if you are Constitutional originalist or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

A true psychotic individual no. His/her mental illness or disturbance is a medical condition they cannot control. But a felon can choose to put aside crime and criminal behavior and live an honest and productive life. If they do so I'm for reinstating them full citizenship rights.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

You can what if things all day. If a reasonable person that is currently eligible to be a gun owner under our current set of laws why make them jump through government hoops to exercise their rights.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
            You can what if things all day. If a reasonable person that is currently eligible to be a gun owner under our current set of laws why make them jump through government hoops to exercise their rights.
            You say "reasonable person" but how that gets interpreted will depend on the agenda.

Comment

I’m simply referring to our currently accepted standards. I’m all for less government in our lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                I think I understand your perspective. You're OK with having SOME restrictions on who can carry, just not with the current process of having to take a class, pay fees, carry a special license, etc.

I'm sure there are some people who would take the more extreme position that EVERYONE should be allowed to carry, no matter what.

I took the class, and learned a few things from it. Our instructor was actually pretty good. As with most government interactions, there's certainly room to streamline the whole process. And, as others have already said, the current proficiency test sets the bar really low. Anyone who just barely passed that test, I would prefer not to be shooting around me.

Comment

My point is only that there’s no need to reinvent the wheel. If what we have is working, it’s still going to work without a card in your wallet. Less government is a good thing in a world where they push for more government control of almost all aspects of life. I don’t guess I understand what your getting at Brad.

Comment

Hills,

My comments might have been confusing because I wasn't really arguing a position. I was first trying to clarify your position, and then just kind of thinking out loud.

When you first said, "It’s either a constitutional right or it’s a privilege granted by the government", I wasn't sure if you meant that there's NO room for the government to put any limitations on the right to bear arms. From your follow-up response, I understand that you're not saying that.

Moving on to offering my opinion, I didn't think that the LTC class was a total waste of time. And generally, I like the idea of people who carry guns in public having some knowledge of the law and basic firearms safety, plus at least some minimum level of proficiency with their firearms. But, any time you get the government involved in anything, they tend to be inefficient and power-grabby about it. So, I get why people don't like the current LTC system in TX.

Comment

It’s not that I don’t like it. Heck, I took the class the first year it was available. Then, I graduated the police academy and no longer needed the license. Now days I just don’t even think of it as an issue.

Comment

Well my Senator supports this bill kolkorst replied and fully supports constitutional carry rights for Texans. Thank God I at least have a level headed rep in both house and senate. Morrison supported this in the house vote.

Comment

I vowed to fully them in their next election Ann do everything I can to get them re-elected. This is an issue I am willing to back fully. We should have been 1st on this issue not 21st.
                          It feels very good when you have a majority of your reps support your values. We are doing something right in this area I think.
                          Last edited by dphillips62; 04-23-2021, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            Not allowing felons to vote IS an infringement on their rights. If they have served their time, are working and paying taxes they should have every right returned to them. Including their right to own firearms.

Maybe it has been answered but not voting for felons is part of their punishment. They might have paid their fine and they might have done their time but not voting in some states is part of the penalty.

There is no part of the Constitution or any amendments that are violated by punishing a felon by not allowing him to vote.
                            Last edited by tvc184; 04-23-2021, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I may get flamed for this but I don’t care. A felony charge for a violent crime should violate your constitutional rights to vote no if’s about it. I have additional rights that should be suspended if you don’t contribute NO VOTING for anything. So if you have received welfare no vote. You are not a contributing member of society. So you have no rights to contribute to the say so of government.

Comment

Why are we arguing about felons? Regardless of your stance on that, this Bill does not make it legal for a felon to carry a gun.

Let’s get back on track. You should still be contacting representatives.

Comment

Working...
                                X