Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$15 minimum wage

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
    Manufacturing, construction, public works, just to name a few. If you don't know this already then you're out of touch with reality my friend. So just because you don't know anyone thats in that situation means its not true?

You’re definition of skilled labor is probably different than mine. If you’re not a job hopper and have stuck with any job in any of those professions for 10 years then you’re probably making more than $15 an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MBV77; 01-24-2021, 10:29 AM.

Comment

And I apologize for using the word ‘useless’ in the original post you called ludicrous. That was a bad choice. I’d bet that most jobs in skilled trades that pay below $15 an hour are entry level and for people that haven’t developed a skill set or learned the trade yet.

Comment

Originally posted by MBV77 View Post
        And I apologize for using the word ‘useless’ in the original post you called ludicrous. That was a bad choice. I’d bet that most jobs in skilled trades that pay below $15 an hour are entry level and for people that haven’t developed a skill set or learned the trade yet.

All three of those choice words were bad. I know of several people who bust their butt everyday and are sharp as tacks at what they do who don't make $15 an hour. I dont know where the money comes from up there north of Dallas but over here in northeast Texas you've gotta be self employed to make good money.
        Last edited by twistedmidnite; 01-24-2021, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
          LoL
          That means you're not expecting your employee to improve YOY if they are stuck in that state.
          Think about it, what type of business would you be running where am employee can be with you for 10 years and so be making less than $10 per hour?

Even if they worked at a hand car wash they need to be running the place and you should be paying them more than $15 an hour because they are worth more to you than that.
          At 10 years shouldn't they be like family?
          If not a very good friend.

Again, it says a lot about you all here.
          You think you're better than but this is actually showing how little you care for the next person.
          Two observations on this one.

First, a new unskilled hire at $10/ hr can work and train to be more productive and move up to earn $15/ hr. When the government says you just have to hire them at $15/ hr they are going to have to already be trained to produce more at $15/ hr or it isn’t worth it to hire them.

I guess that means the free colleges can just train them, but they could have been making $10/ hr and training.

Second point is a tangent, but the family and friends comment stuck out to me. It seems that in the ammo price gouging thread several people agree with you that basic laws of economics and capitalism should be suspended if one feels there is a friendship, acquaintance or other feelings involved, no matter what other circumstances there may be.

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
          It’s crazy to me to see people relying on a market to dictate something, when the tax payers have bailed out the “market” on multiple occasions.

There’s a socioeconomic issue with our system, and the rich 1% keep getting theirs and even more.

We have to find a way to tweak things.
          I think the argument most here are trying to make is that government interference in economics is bad. That would include the bailouts.

Bailouts turn capitalism into crony capitalism. The government helps the big guys and lets the little guys rot. I doubt there is a small business owner anywhere that agrees with that plan.

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
          What about the businesses that suck and receive tax breaks and bailouts?

There is more than one issue. The employee getting paid is a small portion of the issues.
          Correct! The common theme here is that government interference and manipulation causes the issues.

Comment

The folks this will have a huge negative effect on are the folks making $15-$17 an hour. Good will inflate in $$$. The folks that were making $9 just move up to $15. Guess what they will still be making $15-$17 an hour. I also read where McDonalds has been preparing for this and has full automated stores ready to go on-line. All new and remodel will be robitics. Dont have to pay robots min wage

Comment

All three of those choice words were bad. I know of several people who bust their butt everyday and are sharp as tacks at what they do who don't make $15 an hour. I dont know where the money comes from up there north of Dallas but over here in northeast Texas you've gotta be self employed to make good money.

Also if most of them are in ‘public works’ working for smaller municipalities, then yeah, maybe you’re making under $15. All the private sector companies are building and rebuilding your infrastructure and their employees are making $15+ an hour.

Comment

I’ll second this. Northeast Texas is a dead area. Making a good living involves living in a camper for most those folks. Plenty of trailer places willing to pay 12$ an hour for welders though...

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
                  I’ll second this. Northeast Texas is a dead area. Making a good living involves living in a camper for most those folks. Plenty of trailer places willing to pay 12$ an hour for welders though...

Then why not move? If you are a motivated person you tend to do what is necessary to achieve higher levels of living standards if that’s what you desire. Otherwise they are making what the market dictates. I’m guessing the cost of living is much cheaper there as well?
                  I don’t know if anyone that is skilled and makes less than $15 hr around the houston area and my family and friends are blue collar people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                    Then why not move? If you are a motivated person you tend to do what is necessary to achieve higher levels of living standards if that’s what you desire. Otherwise they are making what the market dictates. I’m guessing the cost of living is much cheaper there as well?
                    I don’t know if anyone that is skilled and makes less than $15 hr around the houston area and my family and friends are blue collar people.

I did. I moved closer to Texarkana where I’m originally from and do well for myself. But I worked with people who graduated from Tulsa welding school and they made the same amount as me during my time working for priefert.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                      I don't.
                      But I've worked with econometricians on billion dollar cases regarding "pass-through".

Just because the price of the screen on your iPhone triples does not mean Apple will triple the price of the iPhone or even increase the price at all.
                      There is a lot of absorption by the manufacturer that takes place.
                      What will happen is the business more than likely will take a haircut on profit margin
                      But they still will make a profit.

It's the price of doing business
                      Wow....SMDH.

Comment

It won't matter at the burger place because soon it will be a machine printing meat and assembling it and there will one or less employees at each location.

But the missing piece of inflation has been wage growth which has been missing even in light of negative interest rates and printing trillions. This may be the straw that breaks the camels back. I think Janet yellen is fairly moderate so hope those in charge will listen to the "experts". This smells of another "tax ourselves into prosperity" gimmick.

Comment

Originally posted by MBV77 View Post
                          Also if most of them are in ‘public works’ working for smaller municipalities, then yeah, maybe you’re making under $15. All the private sector companies are building and rebuilding your infrastructure and their employees are making $15+ an hour.

I scanned thru the building side of the prevailing wage website. I saw several trades that were $15 and under in my county. Im sure there's people in those trades making more but also less. I guess it just chapped my butt when you labeled everyone who makes under $15 as lazy and trash. Ill just leave it alone because "you're right".

Comment

So many white privileged supremacist on here.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post

Because this is home. Can you not have a nice standard of living making $15 or less? If you're happy with your way of life at $15 then why move? Sometimes believe it or not, life isn't about how much money you can make.

Comment

I scanned thru the building side of the prevailing wage website. I saw several trades that were $15 and under in my county. Im sure there's people in those trades making more but also less. I guess it just chapped my butt when you labeled everyone who makes under $15 as lazy and trash. Ill just leave it alone because "you're right".

I didn’t say ‘trash’....lazy, unmotivated, and useless I believe. I retracted ‘useless’ and I’ll retract ‘lazy’. Motivate and move. I’ll give you $17 or $18 right now without even asking you what your experience is in.

Comment

Working...
                                X