• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rtp View Post
    what in the cornbread hell!
    :d:d:d

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
      Doug, my mother is Creole/Mulatoo but that is considered black per the old Black Codes. She was not invited to attend the white school in St. James Parish, La.! She was not allowed to vote! She could not drink from certain water fountains! 50/50 is deemed black, just the way it is. People of mixed race don't have to choose or get to choose, it is basically the one drop rule from our history books. Right or wrong that is why folks you have dealt with say they are black.........it is not worth the fight.
      Oh, my maternal grandmother was a "Mammie" on the Graunyard Plantation. We have posted pictures of her in that 20 year role on Ancestry.com. She was also dearly loved by the eight Graunyard children she raised as well. The few living children tell my mother that all the time when they cross paths in Vacherie, La. My mom smiles gingerly and moves on as she says a silent prayer. Lets not confuse that role at that plantation with one of stature, grace, respect and advancement. The families look at it much differently.

Per your questions:
      There is no such thing as a Black National Anthem. That is basically the term/nickname of what the song "Lift Every Voice & Sing" evolved into over time/decades.......during the heart of sanctioned segregation. Nobody truly knows who gave it the nickname of the Black National Anthem. It was written as a poem......just like Francis Scott Key. It was turned into a HYMN (Lift Every Voice & Sing) and evolved many years after that because of the inspiration it evoked during the darkest days post reconstruction. It has nothing against America or other races in it. Just a hymnal song that obviously most folks never knew existed.
      Your 2nd question was answered by another THBer concerning the 3rd stanza. Nobody sings that stanza and/or don't even know it existed in the original poem/lyrics.
      Lastly per the NFL. I do consider it pandering and not addressing other NFLPU issues around concussions, pensions, health benefits, etc. Those are huge issues that affect all 1,400 current roster members for a LIFETIME. It appears a huge swath of the players & ex players are coming to that same conclusion. I am more than confident that the NFL has worked the bean counters for weeks to determine how this could possibly affect the bottom line. I surmise they are comfortable with the projected P&L Statement.......or they dang sure would not be considering it as an option!

^^^Truth!

Doesn't change the perspective for me however. No sports organization, team or player should interject their politics in conjunction to the sport/organization they are paid to play sports with. Professional sports is entertainment for me, or it was. Now sports and specifically the NFL is just another mouthpiece for the left and anti-American rhetoric and I'll not support it. I don't matter to them and I'll not make any difference to them, but I will make a difference to me and what goes on in my house.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        ^^^Truth!

Doesn't change the perspective for me however. No sports organization, team or player should interject their politics in conjunction to the sport/organization they are paid to play sports with. Professional sports is entertainment for me, or it was. Now sports and specifically the NFL is just another mouthpiece for the left and anti-American rhetoric and I'll not support it. I don't matter to them and I'll not make any difference to them, but I will make a difference to me and what goes on in my house.

Could not agree more. I have deleted all my fantasy football apps and will not play again.

It seems sports used to be the political escape. In the last few years it has become the stage it reminds me of Hollywood with deniro, Pitt, Klooney, etc. Hollywood cannot even make anything new that people want to see. Becuase people can’t stand those left leaning people.

Lebron James has done me in on any basketball. King , I don’t think so there is only one King and it’s not him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          ^^^Truth!

Ain't nothing wrong with that Charlie! It is a pastime, it aint oxygen. Each person still has a choice in the matter to tune-in or tune-out. Hit them in the pocketbook.
          I did have the same attitude around sports but it changed "somewhat" in the last 25 years or so.
          For example: Jessie Owens was hailed for smashing Hitler's Olympians in the 30's.....that was used as a political statement by Uncle Sam. Joe Louis smashing Max Smelling (sp), .......that was used as a political statement by Uncle Sam. Cassius Clay pounding his way thru the communist opponents on his Olympic wins was hailed by Uncle Sam also.
          All were HERO moments of our national strength.........plus many other's examples.
          Then when we talk about the raised fists of John Carlos & Tommie Smith it was a HUGE negative to Uncle Sam but it was politics to support the cause these men lived within......right or wrong. When, Muhammed Ali refused to join the military during the Vietnam War it was a HUGE negative to Uncle Sam but it was politics & religion to support the cause he believed in......right or wrong.
          No matter where we stand on all of the details around each example they are all political in nature..........right or wrong!
          What I am saying......in modern times sports has always been tinged politically.
          Heck, the National Anthem was not always played before sporting events or at least not within all leagues/stadiums. Moreover, the players were seldom on the field or on the court when the anthem was played. Not out of disrespect that was just not part of the "pomp & circumstance" of the event. From what i can figure it got normalized when the military did a huge government contract to increase recruiting numbers for our armed forces. The national anthem became the norm......which was good! Politics has invaded our lives and I try to recognize it for what it is. Right or Wrong!

Comment

I'm done with the NFL. Hopefully there will be a lot more not watching the NFL and they get DEFUNDED.

Comment

Doug, my mother is Creole/Mulatoo but that is considered black per the old Black Codes. She was not invited to attend the white school in St. James Parish, La.! She was not allowed to vote! She could not drink from certain water fountains! 50/50 is deemed black, just the way it is. People of mixed race don't have to choose or get to choose, it is basically the one drop rule from our history books. Right or wrong that is why folks you have dealt with say they are black.........it is not worth the fight.
              Oh, my maternal grandmother was a "Mammie" on the Graunyard Plantation. We have posted pictures of her in that 20 year role on Ancestry.com. She was also dearly loved by the eight Graunyard children she raised as well. The few living children tell my mother that all the time when they cross paths in Vacherie, La. My mom smiles gingerly and moves on as she says a silent prayer. Lets not confuse that role at that plantation with one of stature, grace, respect and advancement. The families look at it much differently.

Per your questions:
              There is no such thing as a Black National Anthem. That is basically the term/nickname of what the song "Lift Every Voice & Sing" evolved into over time/decades.......during the heart of sanctioned segregation. Nobody truly knows who gave it the nickname of the Black National Anthem. It was written as a poem......just like Francis Scott Key. It was turned into a HYMN (Lift Every Voice & Sing) and evolved many years after that because of the inspiration it evoked during the darkest days post reconstruction. It has nothing against America or other races in it. Just a hymnal song that obviously most folks never knew existed.
              Your 2nd question was answered by another THBer concerning the 3rd stanza. Nobody sings that stanza and/or don't even know it existed in the original poem/lyrics.
              Lastly per the NFL. I do consider it pandering and not addressing other NFLPU issues around concussions, pensions, health benefits, etc. Those are huge issues that affect all 1,400 current roster members for a LIFETIME. It appears a huge swath of the players & ex players are coming to that same conclusion. I am more than confident that the NFL has worked the bean counters for weeks to determine how this could possibly affect the bottom line. I surmise they are comfortable with the projected P&L Statement.......or they dang sure would not be considering it as an option!

Oscar I understand. I have seen the "Blacks eat in the back and Blacks only drink out of this water fountain"! Completely wrong in every aspect then and now. It just pains me to see people acting they way they are today. color should not matter no matter for what in sports, jobs and lives period!

Like I said, being raised with a Black Nanny who meant the world to me as a baby and young boy, it pains me to see the racial division. I absolutely never saw her as a Black person and after going to school from elementary thru college with Black students, friends and fellow athletes, stuff that is going on today is a hard pill to swallow!

Comment

Absolutely Doug! We have been around each other a few times and race, color and creed has never been the slightest concern. You are salt of the earth brother and I stand by your side any day and twice on Sunday! This too shall pass. We have issues but I truly believe we will come out the other side a "more perfect union!"[emoji1258]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                  I didn’t find a thread on this topic, so I apologize if this has already been batted around.

I’ve tried not to let this bug me. At 1st I thought it was satire.... but alas it’s not.
                  I have questions.

How does a group have a national anthem and yet no sovereign nation?
                  What isn’t uplifting about America’s national anthem?
                  Is the NFL actually going to placate to this BS?
                  Please post political and non-hunting current events to this forum. Personal attacks and disrespect in posting will not be tolerated.

Comment

Per your questions:
                    Oscar, I’ve never met you, but respect you and your no nonsense and unbiased perspective. Having said that, surely you can see the 3rd stanza in the entire context of the song and understand it is referencing the dire situation the Revolutionaries found themselves in and the hope yielded by the flag.

Furthermore the word immediately before slave is hireling. There are ZERO Black labor slaves in America today (there are likely sex slaves, but that’s ‘nother discussion). There are however, roughly 280+ million or 70% of Americans who are employees, or hirelings.... should we be butt hurt and in the streets acting like temperamental children over the use of that word?

Comment

Absolutely Doug! We have been around each other a few times and race, color and creed has never been the slightest concern. You are salt of the earth brother and I stand by your side any day and twice on Sunday! This too shall pass. We have issues but I truly believe we will come out the other side a "more perfect union!"[emoji1258]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                      Thank you Oscar for the kind words. Hopefully by living 6 hours closer, we can get together a little more often! Also, I will stand shoulder to shoulder with you for whatever reason to help in whatever way is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                        What about the German national anthem. I like Beer by Tom T Hall.

I approve of this message.[emoji481]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                            It’s called capitulation to a Marxist organization. It really is amazing how easy it has become for evil to make CEO’s bend over and kiss its feet. I’ll never see a dip**** kneel again. I’ll never hear that stupid *** black anthem and I’ll never spend a penny on anything with a professional sports logo of any type on it.
                            Amen

Comment

I used to watch sports to enjoy something simple and pure. A a few hours of leisure and escape from work and the stresses of life. Sports have now become the very thing I was trying to take a break from,
                              I think I'll just go fishing.

Comment

Working...
                              X