Any chance the college's of today survive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
    JMO. I think trade schools are going to get lots more students the next few years. A/C, Mechanics, welders, etc. Lots of these folks needed more than college graduates.

I think that is a major problem today. I own a construction business and I cannot keep or even tolerate a millennial to work for me.
    The kids of today have a completely different mindset. Most do not want to get hot or dirty. Most do not own a tape measure or tools. When I do come across a mid 20’s person with some snap from a different trade I always give them my card.
    The biggest challenge I see daily is common sense. Logical thinking skills are gone.

I am not sure what kind of young person it is going to take to learn a trade.

The day of the manual machinist is fading and now everyone wants to be a Cnc programmer. Plumbers, electricians, audio visual company’s have plenty of helpers but not many Journeyman due to it being a long road to achieve and the instant gratification generation does not want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
      I think that is a major problem today. I own a construction business and I cannot keep or even tolerate a millennial to work for me.
      The kids of today have a completely different mindset. Most do not want to get hot or dirty. Most do not own a tape measure or tools. When I do come across a mid 20’s person with some snap from a different trade I always give them my card.
      The biggest challenge I see daily is common sense. Logical thinking skills are gone.

I am not sure what kind of young person it is going to take to learn a trade.

The day of the manual machinist is fading and now everyone wants to be a Cnc programmer. Plumbers, electricians, audio visual company’s have plenty of helpers but not many Journeyman due to it being a long road to achieve and the instant gratification generation does not want it.

Very well described and based on my experience, accurate too.

Comment

scared to death my kids are going to be at home for the fall semester. I need them gone! LOL!

Comment

It’s really funny how all these liberal professors believe education is a right but none of them are taking pay cuts right now and tuition isn’t being cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The scope of Colleges has changed greatly in my 35 years of coaching and teaching at different places.

I will speak from an athletic stand point of recruiting students but it mirrors a traditional students view too.

Over the years the one thing that brings in all types of students and pushes them over the edge to pick your school are the sticks and bricks and new facilities or fluff as I call it. The bigger and nicer your dorms, cafeteria, student centers, stadiums, weight rooms, gyms, rec halls, lecture halls, class rooms, computers, labs and many other things I left off the list. The more students you attract. Then add faculty, staff, maintenance, grounds and wow!
            Those all cost a lot of money!

Then comes the new age of online delivery. Which I said 20 years ago would be the a dagger to what we had known as typical College.
            Online took off like a jet and and like a rocket especially in the past 4-5 months during covid.

Technology changes every 15 minutes. It is without a doubt the most expensive thing to keep up with in a school setting including Jr High and High school. Buy 400 new computers and program them all with the latest gizmos and thingamabobs and 2 years down the road they are yesterdays news. Time to buy again!

Now we are stuck with 50% of folks wanting ALL online learning and 50 % still wanting the traditional stick and brick college experience. Put all those things and many more I didn't think of together and you shouldn't wonder why College is expensive.

I have said it now for ten years or so. Get a 2 year certificate without much student loans and get a technical job in a heart beat paying $60-80k a year. Soft people don't pursue this concept. Gotta get dirty or sweaty working. Athletes and students on Academic scholarships cannot pursue this due to GPA's and hour requirements each semester.

Or get ya a 4-5 year degree then owe $150K in student loans and struggle to find a job making $45k. Lots of folks still like this Idea. Its easy, mommy and daddy will pay it. I'll study, party and see what comes out in the end.

Financial aid is a whole entire issue in it's self!

I could go on and on about this but I have to go check my online summer school class for Q and A's

Comment

I have two left in college at smaller-read more $$ private schools. There is no question college administrators are worried sh**less about the ramifications of going online. As my older son wisely put it, "why should I still attend this more expensive school if everything is online." He understands that the perceived value of smaller instructor-student ratios, more accessibility to actual professors v TA's, all goes away if online instruction is mandated. My checkbook agrees with him.

I recently had lunch with an administrator of a private, very expensive Dallas university. He said they are very, very concerned with students and parents recognizing the above issues and transferring out. Schools are scrambling to find ways to attract kids. For example, SMU is not requiring admissions tests for entrance into the 2020 fall MBA program.

My oldest graduated with an accounting degree, and just finished a double graduate degree with a MS in Accounting and and MBA in data analytics, the next two are following the same path. Interesting times for these guys.

But, today is no different than than things were 40 years ago. A degree in engineering, accounting, IT etc is well worth the expense. Social Justice, Sociology probably not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                I have two left in college at smaller-read more $$ private schools. There is no question college administrators are worried sh**less about the ramifications of going online. As my older son wisely put it, "why should I still attend this more expensive school if everything is online." He understands that the perceived value of smaller instructor-student ratios, more accessibility to actual professors v TA's, all goes away if online instruction is mandated. My checkbook agrees with him.

I recently had lunch with an administrator of a private, very expensive Dallas university. He said they are very, very concerned with students and parents recognizing the above issues and transferring out. Schools are scrambling to find ways to attract kids. For example, SMU is not requiring admissions tests for entrance into the 2020 fall MBA program.

My oldest graduated with an accounting degree, and just finished a double graduate degree with a MS in Accounting and and MBA in data analytics, the next two are following the same path. Interesting times for these guys.

But, today is no different than than things were 40 years ago. A degree in engineering, accounting, IT etc is well worth the expense. Social Justice, Sociology probably not so much.
                Well said.

I will also add that prestigious schools come with contacts and friendships that are hard to quantify from a monetary standpoint. If things are moved online, that perceived value is diminished considerably.

Comment

Get rid of govt guaranteed student debt and the whole system comes down overnight.

The colleges would really have to learn how to operate if this endless supply of money dried up. That I’d like to see.

Comment

Originally posted by rlb28 View Post
                    scared to death my kids are going to be at home for the fall semester. I need them gone! LOL!
                    HELLO!!! My wife is dropping our kiddo at the airport as I type. (Hopefully her Jeep starts when she lands at the ATL airport) She has been home since March springbreak. She finished the semester online and graduated in May (diploma showed up last week by courier) and hated every moment of online only.
                    Grad school in biomedical research starts in a few weeks and they have been non-committal if it will be online, classroom or a mixture. Makes it dang difficult for us to make decisions. She will need another apartment/townhouse/condo if it will be classroom or a mixture. If not sounds like she will pack up her Auburn apartment at the end of this month and head back to Texas, instead of getting a new place in Nashville. It is time for this virus to just "blow out of here!"
                    Originally posted by labman View Post

You got it!
                    I will say the ones going to Harvard, Yale, SMU, Rice, Tulane, Brown, Dartmouth, Drake, Vassar, Stanford, etc (by and large) and getting sketchy degrees are the ones getting the PhD's or Law Degrees down the road. They actually have a plan for that crushing debt.
                    Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                    Well said.

I will also add that prestigious schools come with contacts and friendships that are hard to quantify from a monetary standpoint. If things are moved online, that perceived value is diminished considerably.
                    Ding, ding, ding!

Comment

I will say the ones going to Harvard, Yale, SMU, Rice, Tulane, Brown, Dartmouth, Drake, Vassar, Stanford, etc (by and large) and getting sketchy degrees are the ones getting the PhD's or Law Degrees down the road. They actually have a plan for that crushing debt. Landrover, I messed up quote attribution here!

Man, isn't that the truth! The very ones I don't want teaching my kids, lol. After spending the weekend with my oldest, a couple of his buddies and associated girlfriends, things are not quite as bad as the MSM portrays it.

These guys and girls get it completely. They see the reality and insanity of current events. One girl in the group who I've known since she was a HS freshmen has always been the ultra liberal leftist. Post graduation and off the dole, now she's ALL about the free market, less taxes and regulations.

She did a better job than the rest explaining why the left's propsed high tax rates will kill the economy. I told her, you need to go girl!! Made me laugh, it's all about the maturation process. Working hard in school to get a great, well paying job changes a person's perspective, especially the part of seeing how much in tax is taken out of a paycheck.

Comment

Sounds like Trump may be taking some of hos advice on taxing colleges and removing the tax exempt status.

Comment

Another Corona miracle? I hated school ��

Comment

Starts a reform back on the ones pushing it. Love it. I agree that you should break down the costs as to many people graduate to find that the degree is sh!& and nobody needs 100 history majors. Hard to pay 100k of debt off making 25k a year

Comment

Working...
                            X