No announcement yet.

Can Chauvin get a fair trial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is difficult to predict the fairness of his trial in the absence of knowing what his defense is or the evidence he has to support it. Between the body cam videos from the officers, cameras in police cars, and surveillance cameras in the vicinity, they should have everything his attorneys need to prove his case - if he is innocent.

I'm curious what people think would be evidence of innocence or really, anything less than manslaughter - and in light of the information that is out there now. What would have to be ignored for it to be considered an "unfair" trial? I'll admit I can't get past the apparent fact Floyd was known to be disarmed, on his stomach with his hands cuffed behind his back. There would have to serious evidence that the officer's actions did not cause Floyd's death. Even then, I would be left to wonder if Floyd would have lived if the officer had just listened to Floyd or the many pleas to just check his pulse.

Comment

Training records- past incidents in department and if this is common technique for control. Did he call for EMS immediately on radio and wait for them to take control. Cause of death. Lots of testimony will go into this trial. Training staff, use of force experts, Toxicology experts- chemist- prior medical reports of victim. Lots of things that will be revealed in court that is not public at this point. A lot has not even been investigated.
      If your on a jury and he called EMS immediately and his training records he was taught to gain and maintain control in this fashion could you incarcerate a man for following his training- There are a lot of guys out there in this nation that never get training once they leave the Academy. So his last handcuff and control training could be from 1999. Could have never recurved an update.

I know nothing in this case. Just not going to convict a man without a fair process
      Last edited by glen; 06-09-2020, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
        I think they really messed up when they cranked up the murder charge & will be more difficult to prove intent...bottom line it is going to come down to his lawyer & the picking of jurors. Involuntary would have been easier to stick & I may be all wet as I previously was thinking he has to be the fall guy or we'll have another round of riots, but with the murder he only needs one to not think it's a stretch.

Maybe someone can better explain the differences in the initial charges vs the ramped up but I'm 50/50 on this now.

I'm also curious what happens to others w/ two being rookies just days on the force.
        I felt the same on the OJ trial and have been watching for over charging ever since. OJ probobly woke up and said today I kill them. That is murder.
        That cop did not wake up and say today I will kill a black dude with my knee. The DA needs to back the charges down if he wants any kind of conviction....

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
          Murder is going to be hard to prove when the cause of death is heart attack or covid or fetanyl and so on and so forth
          Yep..
          What "actually" killed him should be the deciding factor, what ever is determined, not the media driven cause..

The timing of this entire ordeal and the obvious pre-planning of these mass riots sure does look suspicious..

Comment

8:46 minute trial and conviction.

Comment

At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if it plays out like this.

Overcharge

Intentionally screw up or barely try with the prosecution

Cop walks

"See! We told you the system is racist! Burn it all down some more!"

The sad part is, with that ploy they would likely get a lot of Republican "leadership" behind their ideas seeing how those cowards are already kowtowing.

Comment

Sad that any juror selected up there will have no clue what "beyond all reasonable doubt" means. Gonna take a miracle. Sad that the officer's whole life and service has to be wasted on some career criminal. These are the saddest times this country has ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                  Sad that any juror selected up there will have no clue what "beyond all reasonable doubt" means. Gonna take a miracle. Sad that the officer's whole life and service has to be wasted on some career criminal. These are the saddest times this country has ever seen.
                  Beyond ALL reasonable doubt? When did that become a thing? It is sad. Maybe don't use excessive force and kill folks in front of a crowd. That will help keep you out of jail.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                    I may get crucified but here goes. The man didn’t move, or barely moved, for the eight and some odd seconds of the video I saw. The officer was not struggling at all. Had his hand in his pocket and no problem keeping his balance. We literally found ourselves in our living room yelling at the officer on tv “get off his neck”! “Get off his neck “! He was subdued and cuffed. I know he had priors but still no excuse for this behavior.
                    And yes to Oscar’s point. I still believe in our country and despite all our faults and failures I wouldn’t live anywhere else. And I will continue to support l e. One horrible decision by one cop should not make every cop guilty. Like I said before: everybody hates cops and lawyers till you need one.
                    ^^^ Agree 100%

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

The 411 about them working together at the bar / security & disliking each other is starting to surface more...this will likely help the prosecution I'm guessing.

Comment

That officer made that decision for himself.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                          Beyond ALL reasonable doubt? When did that become a thing? It is sad. Maybe don't use excessive force and kill folks in front of a crowd. That will help keep you out of jail.
                          Proof that he will most likely NOT get a fair trial. You already have him convicted based on an edited video and have never seen the body camera footages. Defense will get their own autopsy and then there will be 3 reports that will all conflict in some way. Therein may lie some sort of doubt. But not to those who already have him convicted.

Comment

Proof that he will most likely NOT get a fair trial. You already have him convicted based on an edited video and have never seen the body camera footages. Defense will get their own autopsy and then there will be 3 reports that will all conflict in some way. Therein may lie some sort of doubt. But not to those who already have him convicted.
                            Truth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you mean "convicted" as opposed to "not guilty" of anything? Or do you mean "convicted as charged" as opposed to a lesser charge?

To be not guilty, wouldn't he pretty much have to prove that he was acting in self defense or that Floyd was in the throes of dying and nothing he could have done would have prevented it.

No one can convict him except the jury but it seems a very safe and logical conclusion that he is guilty of something serious.

Comment

Originally posted by ttechdallas View Post
                                Do you mean "convicted" as opposed to "not guilty" of anything? Or do you mean "convicted as charged" as opposed to a lesser charge?

To be not guilty, wouldn't he pretty much have to prove that he was acting in self defense or that Floyd was in the throes of dying and nothing he could have done would have prevented it.

No one can convict him except the jury but it seems a very safe and logical conclusion that he is guilty of something serious.
                                Or that the officers knee on the back of his neck was not the ACTUAL cause of death..

Comment

Working...
                                X