Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A clear look at the Covid death numbers (yes, another thread!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JFISHER View Post
    Perhaps, unless you consider the BILLIONS paid (by food companies, fast food giants etc. to PHDs) to make foods literally more "addictive"...
    And how things are lobbied to make fast food cheaper than healthy food...and fast food on every corner.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
      I don't know about other Texas cities but the DFW media never mentions how well Texas is doing in this battle as compared to other states. They only say things like "Covid-19 numbers continue to climb as Abbot eases restrictions."
      The Austin media pretty much has the mayor on daily to tell all us how dangerous the governor is and that they will do the smart thing a defy the governor if they see fit to shut everything down again.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
        Yep, appears we are 12th from my view on deaths per million. Not bad for the second most populated state.

FL and CA aren't too bad either. First thought is Democratic states are the main reason for higher numbers but CA kind of blows that out of the water. Then I thought maybe climate is huge factor but Louisiana kind of blows that out of the water. Population density is the probably the biggest factor. Then you add in all of the shady folks doing the testing and manipulating the numbers to their benefit. But CA is still an outlier.
        I think Cali and fla probably have much healthier populations than Louisiana and many the other states and could be why their numbers are better than average liberal run states.

Comment

Parker County Texas 143,000 residents, 25 Confirmed cases, 0 Deaths!

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
            Parker County Texas 143,000 residents, 25 Confirmed cases, 0 Deaths!
            Lock it down!!

Comment

Lord Jonathan Sumption is a well-respected British judge and historian, who has served as a Justice of the Supreme Court.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJPF5j129QQ"]Lord Sumption Calls Out BBC Reporter on UK Lockdown BBC News - YouTube[/ame]
              Last edited by LWC; 05-19-2020, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                You think they have a chart for flu death per million?
                Great question. I'd love to see this as well. Or similar chart for previous Corona viruses.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                  Deaths per million is one way to look at it but many in the press are making the claim that Covid-19 is deadlier than it is because there hasn't been enough people tested. AS more people are tested and shown to have had it and recovered the mortality rate will go down statistically- number deaths divided by number of confirmed cases times 100 gives mortality rate. The problem is that there seems to be a financial incentive to list deaths due to Corona virus when there is a difference between dying from corona virus and dying with corona virus. I don't mean to sound callous about it but the same population segment that are the most vulnerable to dying from the flu or pneumonia each year are the same segment that are the most vulnerable to corona virus but we all seem to bump around each year and get over the flu. I think once we have a good solid treatment for those that are sick with it or a vaccine that can be taken that gives everyone a false sense of security (how many have been vaccinated for the flu and end up getting it) then life will get back to normal.
                  Good points, all; particularly your point about vaccines. There will never be a vaccine for a "novel" virus because all novel viruses are new viruses. However, it is through continued and consistent exposure to these "bugs" in our environment that helps us acquire immunity.

Nevertheless, it is my hope that once a vaccine is created, people will have a better (albeit false) sense of security and maybe, just maybe, we can all lighten up on these stringent (and impractical, and ineffective) efforts to sterilize our environment.

The PatrĂ³n and I finally went to a restaurant yesterday and were told we needed to wear a mask anytime we got up from our table. The waiter nearly spilled my drink on me trying to place it on the table while remaining 6 feet away. Looked like he was doing some sort of gymnastics and failed to nail the dismount.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                    Lord Jonathan Sumption is a well-respected British judge and historian, who has served as a Justice of the Supreme Court.

Lord Sumption Calls Out BBC Reporter on UK Lockdown BBC News - YouTube
                    betcha he'd support a 2A if they had one.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                      betcha he'd support a 2A if they had one.
                      Yessir, bet he wishes they had one

Comment

Working...
                      X