No announcement yet.

At least 9 members of American family killed in Mexico ambush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mexico is slated for 30k+ homicides this year & averages 100 per day...I don't know what the US is but I certainly would not say we are anywhere near the 'same' in any sort of fashion.

I would be a happy camper driving to the Canadian border...going south through mex to hit central america would not be the 'same' comfort level.

Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
      The same as HERE y’all act as if America doesn’t have 9 innocent women an children killed daily!? Y’all want to act as if mexico doesn’t have the same problems we do, and then call a man stupid cause he goes down there. Hate to bust yalls bubble but the same chit happens here as there. Just there it wide up to see since the government is so corrupt they don’t have to be discreet about it like here. Y’all are just being naive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      The murder rate in Mexico is 21.5 per 100,000 population. The murder rate in the US is 4.7 per 100,000 population.

NAIVE???????? LOL
      I do agree with you that everyone should just mind their own business and just let folks hunt where ever they want to hunt, including myself, but dude you try to way hard and spend too much energy defending that sh%t hole country.
      I've hunted there for 7 years and I have seen the bad side first hand and that was before it was even considered bad.. I have friends who also hunted over there for years and were robbed of everything that they had in their possession. Expensive custom guns with very expensive optics, Swarovski binos and spotting scopes, custom knives and every dime that they had on them or in their bags and anything else of value, and they were hunting with a highly reputable local outfitter..
      Candy coat it however you need to but its a seriously dangerous place to go and your life is at risk EVERYTIME you cross that river.. You cannot tell me that you do not pray that nothing happens while your there or that you do not breath a huge sigh of relief every time you cross that river back into Texas.. I know because I did the same thing..

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
        Why? Because I hold up a mirror when folks want to slam foreign govt for having the same lax attitude that our govt has?

Fact remains is that hundreds of ppl have been killed in ambush style mass murders over the last two years and what has the USA govt done about it?

Same thing that Mexico has done...
        the difference is that in the U.S. it was lone wolf shooters, so not much you can do to stop an individual hell bent on murder.

in Mexico it is organized crime and we and the Mexican gov't knows who is in it and doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
          The murder rate in Mexico is 21.5 per 100,000 population. The murder rate in the US is 4.7 per 100,000 population.

NAIVE???????? LOL
          I do agree with you that everyone should just mind their own business and just let folks hunt where ever they want to hunt, including myself, but dude you try to way hard and spend too much energy defending that sh%t hole country.
          I've hunted there for 7 years and I have seen the bad side first hand and that was before it was even considered bad.. I have friends who also hunted over there for years and were robbed of everything that they had in their possession. Expensive custom guns with very expensive optics, Swarovski binos and spotting scopes, custom knives and every dime that they had on them or in their bags and anything else of value, and they were hunting with a highly reputable local outfitter..
          Candy coat it however you need to but its a seriously dangerous place to go and your life is at risk EVERYTIME you cross that river.. You cannot tell me that you do not pray that nothing happens while your there or that you do not breath a huge sigh of relief every time you cross that river back into Texas.. I know because I did the same thing..

No I’m very aware there’s risk an i know there’s risk going to greenspoint too. I don’t defend mexico i defend the notion that just cause one mans not scared makes him stupid. Thank god some people still have a little push through the comfort zone! Just think of all the things man kind would’ve missed out on if he listened to everyone that said that’s dumb/a chance something happens. Once again I’ll live my life enjoying this world i could get killed in mexico you’re right, but i could also get killed at the self check out at Walmart. I’ll leave it to god when an where i go I’m going enjoy what i want where i want. You choose to run from it cause of your buddies got robbed flashing exspensive things around. Here’s a crazy story people with expensive stuff get robbed here too, you just FEEL safer it’s a false sense of security that you know and are COMFORTABLE with. I feel fine when i cross have a seen sketchy stuff yup have i seen sketchy stuff on bourbon st yup! Just over people callin other people stupid for goin. We’re not dumb we’re just not scared to do what we want and where we want.

Comment

No I’m very aware there’s risk an i know there’s risk going to greenspoint too. I don’t defend mexico i defend the notion that just cause one mans not scared makes him stupid. Thank god some people still have a little push through the comfort zone! Just think of all the things man kind would’ve missed out on if he listened to everyone that said that’s dumb/a chance something happens. Once again I’ll live my life enjoying this world i could get killed in mexico you’re right, but i could also get killed at the self check out at Walmart. I’ll leave it to god when an where i go I’m going enjoy what i want where i want. You choose to run from it cause of your buddies got robbed flashing exspensive things around. Here’s a crazy story people with expensive stuff get robbed here too, you just FEEL safer it’s a false sense of security that you know and are COMFORTABLE with. I feel fine when i cross have a seen sketchy stuff yup have i seen sketchy stuff on bourbon st yup! Just over people callin other people stupid for goin. We’re not dumb we’re just not scared to do what we want and where we want.

What did the twin babies do? Flashy scooby doo pacifiers?

Comment

Pretty good write up coming from a Mexica civilian who likely keeps an eye over his shoulder...I think Chivis is the main ram-rod of borderlandbeat??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Op-Ed: Lebaron family is more Mexican than American--and other points of contention

Op-Ed by Chivis Martinez Borderland Beat

Let it be known, I do not want to write this Op-Ed.

Covering the Lebaron massacre story, and moderating the over 1000 comments that followed has been eye-opening. Even to a long time narco-blogger such as myself.

I purposely posted reports from the U.S., Mexico and global contributions. I did this to provide differences in reporting, which I always find interesting.

The amount of racism, “whataboutisms”, Americans vs Mexicans, and now blame the victims are staggering.
              First point of misinformation was the spin… “9 Americans killed by Mexican Cartel”.

Say What??

OK, while technically correct, it is fundamentally incorrect. The Lebaron family is more Mexican citizen than American. One only has to understand that even after this tragedy, they are staying put, in their homeland of Mexico.

I saw two members of the Lebaron family giving interviews. I can’t recall one name but the other was Daniel. A question was asked of them if they would now move to “America”. Daniel seemed perplexed as to why one would ask such a question. “No. Mexico is our home, we have been here over 100 years."

And that’s the focal point of my argument. The Lebaron family is more Mexican citizen than American.

No one is getting that element correct. “Dual citizens” would be accurate, if one must.

Blame the victim

Of the 1000 comments I received, 28 wrote in about the family’s history of violence, although I am sure the majority has heard of troubles in the family. Those comments were from outside Mexico, and many pointed to a 12 year old documentary.

I chose not to post those comments, and chose not to focus on any trouble the family had in the past with some of their members. I felt it was ill-timed, and unnecessary. I know that the Mexican government and narcos would love the attention to be shifted from them onto the bad history of some members of the Lebaron family.

A popular west coast newspaper chose to focus on the criminal element of some of the members.

Narcos want to know where to send the thank you flowers.

Shameful.

And at least 28 followers of Borderland Beat latched on to this aspect of the story giving narcos a pass.

Yet, from Mexico we received 2 dozen comments from those who know the family personally or live close to them, they hail Julian Lebaron as a good man, a humanitarian, working for the people’s land rights.

One such comment:
              “My family is from Chihuahua not far from Galeana where the LeBaron family has a colony at. They are hardworking humble people I have personally met and interacted with many from their community. This was not La Linea because ALL of the heads of La Linea know and respect the family for their help and actions in the communities of that area. Either ways Mexico’s corrupt politicians will not let the U.S get involved because it will uncover a lot more than cartel activities. It will uncover lists and names of corrupt politicians. I agree with Trump on this one, you need a REAL military to take control because as sad as it is Mexico can’t or doesn’t want to deal with it.”

This is our time folks! World attention is on Mexico and the atrocities generated by organized crime, let’s not lose sight of this! We know these ghastly acts of violence happen on a regular basis in Mexico, Borderland Beat has faithfully reported as many as we could, but unless it is so monstrous, such as the 35 bodies dumped in Boca del Rio, Veracruz, it will not make the world stage.

By the way, the attorney general later said in an interview that those 35 were innocents unconnected to organized crime. Two men had minor offense records, one for stealing bricks.

They were used as props, they were easy pickings, compliant as the municipal police picked them up and delivered them to El Mencho’s CJNG enforcer group at the time calling themselves “Mata Zetas’ or Zeta killers.

It is much less messy for corrupt cops to pick up law abiding citizens for these showing kills. Shortly after the massacre, the entire force was terminated and the feds took over for a while.

However, if one looks for reporting the press outside Mexico, the reporting was not updated, or revised from the original premise of 35 Zetas killed and dumped in front of the World Trading Center.

Trump surprise

I was stunned when Trump’ tweet to AMLO was sent to me.

But I was not surprised at AMLO’s reply, the president who thinks hugs not guns is the answer.

For the record, he has implemented valuable programs, and I think it is only fair to give him his full term before judgement. BUT, I don’t think he will ever find another U.S. president willing to go hand and hand with Mexico to fight cartels.

It took me back to a time I was at my Coahuila office with my staff about 6 years ago. One of them asked me if it was true that the U.S. military was coming to Mexico to fight the narcos.

Apparently this was a rumor.

I said “No. That will never happen. Mexico is a sovereign nation, they would have to ask for help and then it would have to be approved in the U.S.”

She asked, “Why does Mexico have these problems and U.S. doesn’t?” (speaking in generalities of course)

I answered, “In my opinion, the absence of rule of law is directly related to the apathy of Mexico’s people. The populous accepts criminality as something that can’t be changed, thereby have insulated themselves by disinterest --- unless it happens to their family.”

“In the U.S people care. People become involved. People are willing to die for our freedom and welfare of our nation.”

“I don’t see that in Mexico. That is perplexing to me; We Mexicans are big-hearted, warm and loving souls by nature. Yet want nothing to do with fighting the evil of the nation. Oh the dichotomy.”

I would like to interject a bit of nervous laughter was the response. No one said it was not true.

A book I read “Manana Forever?: Mexico and the Mexicans” it illustrates how everyday behavior is altered when a Mexican national comes to the U.S. That even small things, such as assuring trash is deposited in a trash receptacle, because it is the right and lawful thing to do. For the majority there is a mind shift--- because it is expected.

“Just because they were white”

This is the complaint I received most often. And yes, there is some meat on that bone. History demonstrates little media interest in the victims of Mexico, but by placing the “American” label on the tragedy, and blonde, blue eyed faces, the story exploded.

However, one can’t lose sight of the prize. If you care about Mexico, care about the countless victims in Mexico, and the fact that narco violence is at an all-time high, and although he was not involved, that Mencho is the greatest security threat ever facing Mexico (I wrote this 5 years ago and not changed my opinion), and then we should welcome the attention, and grin and bear the flawed way that got us here.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                What did the twin babies do? Flashy scooby doo pacifiers?
                Guess they flashed the same thing the Sandy Hook 4 and 5 year olds did? Those Scooby Doo Pacifiers are dangerous.

None of it's right. And this wasn't some random killing.

Comment

chill...

I understand the allure as I did it for a decade but it's not worth it to me...farmdog & I have spent many a beer / yarn & understand one another just fine. I don't think he or anyone else is ignorant on the dangers involved going sotb & if it's worth it, then safe travels.

I'm biased as I worked in Reynosa for 15yrs & got to watch Mexico 'change' from what I once loved & now have to abandon...I got tailed by 4 armed gunmen leaving the Eaton facility heading back the pharr bridge. Entire US travel policy changed overnight after reporting to my boss & my manufacturing gig slowly came to an end. I've watched grown men who were my customers start tearing up at their desks because once it gets dark, you are holed up at home. No more movies, dinners, parks...it's over & why I resonate so much with the op-ed.

I disagree about the Mexican's indifference towards accepting the violence due to 'nimodo'...you give those people the 2nd amendment & they will take that country back in 2 years. I honestly feel this scares the govt more the narcos do & the fix will never really happen. We can go in & maybe make them a little politer as he is suggesting happen using this tragedy, but chivis is correct about the can of worms with the political connections. I don't see any changes w/ amlo??

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                    chill...

I understand the allure as I did it for a decade but it's not worth it to me...farmdog & I have spent many a beer / yarn & understand one another just fine. I don't think he or anyone else is ignorant on the dangers involved going sotb & if it's worth it, then safe travels.

I'm biased as I worked in Reynosa for 15yrs & got to watch Mexico 'change' from what I once loved & now have to abandon...I got tailed by 4 armed gunmen leaving the Eaton facility heading back the pharr bridge. Entire US travel policy changed overnight after reporting to my boss & my manufacturing gig slowly came to an end. I've watched grown men who were my customers start tearing up at their desks because once it gets dark, you are holed up at home. No more movies, dinners, parks...it's over & why I resonate so much with the op-ed.

I disagree about the Mexican's indifference towards accepting the violence due to 'nimodo'...you give those people the 2nd amendment & they will take that country back in 2 years. I honestly feel this scares the govt more the narcos do & the fix will never really happen. We can go in & maybe make them a little politer as he is suggesting happen using this tragedy, but chivis is correct about the can of worms with the political connections. I don't see any changes w/ amlo??
                    Artos many communities have already taken up arms and it's helped tremendously in their respective areas..... good take.... and I wish they'd give Mexican Citizens all guns ( except criminals, how you would figure this out I have no clue) ... it would transform that country.

Comment

I follow the armed civilian movement on the narco blogs...I'm fascinated with the culture I guess simply from being here for 50 years & ole mex being a part of my life??

Chivis is dead wrong & almost thought about posting my first ever comment on borderland eluding to my thoughts but didn't see a reason to start now. It will never happen, but do think it would work to some extent. Hell, the only reason they are polite over here is because of the 2nd...I don't sense any sort of less pride for one's country coming from the folks I discuss it with. Disgust, yes but less pride in their country vs the US?? I think that just comes instinctively. Their founding fathers just didn't set themselves up as well as we did.

The process to own a gun through the mex military is a joke...the narcos have grenades & rpg's but afraid of the armed populace?? Tells you all you need to know.

Comment

"We get it..you enjoy it. It is beautiful country once you get past the mass murder, blood of innocents in crossfires, human trafficing, and massive corruption at every level.. but dont be so melancholoy as to think its not dangerous as ****."

Dang I thought you were talking about the U.S. for a second.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                          "We get it..you enjoy it. It is beautiful country once you get past the mass murder, blood of innocents in crossfires, human trafficing, and massive corruption at every level.. but dont be so melancholoy as to think its not dangerous as ****."

Dang I thought you were talking about the U.S. for a second.

Sheep [emoji849]

Comment

I had my own run in with the military that definitely left me questioning if it was smart to keep going fishing there. A few months back an American couple fishing in the place i feel safe was assaulted and held hostage at gun point while drug runners used the dock in front of the house they rented to offload a shipment. There have been other incidents and our guide has even given us warnings and let us know it may not be so safe.

I love Mexico. The fishing, the people, the food. There’s just a feeling down there I can’t replicate elsewhere.

What I described above definitely won’t keep me from going back. Look at how many Americans are there daily without incident. However, to act like there isn’t an additional risk involved when you cross that border is naive.

Last edited by Clay C; 11-07-2019, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Sheep [emoji849]

So now your name calling? A sheep I assure I am not...
                              Your clueless youngin..
                              It seems you think you are a invencible bad *** and that's ok too. I pray you never have to prove it while south of the border..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                                So now your name calling? A sheep I assure I am not...

Your clueless youngin..

It seems you think you are a invencible bad *** and that's ok too. I pray you never have to prove it while south of the border..

Wasn’t directed at you, but I’m surely no bad***. But i will defend my choice, and bring points that show the WORLD we live in is a sick place if you want to protect yourself 100% from bad then so be it, my ONE point to all of this is people that choose to go there do it because they love the memories it serves. I’ve met many great Mexicans many that i call friend, and memories that i will get to tell my kids about. I could say your stupid for limiting yourself from experiences that will last a lifetime. But i don’t because one that doesn’t make you stupid, and two that’s the path you choose to look back on May you grow old.

Comment

Working...
                                X