Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance TODAY

TBH Maintenance TODAY 8am - 10am
TBH will be offline TODAY from 8 am to 10 am for important server maintenance
See more
See less

Anybody effected by these steel/aluminum tarrifs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F0ck that!!!
    I'm backing trump 100% on these tariffs
    He just needs to "show us the money"
    I wonder who is in Paul Ryan's pocket for him to go against these tariffs

And who cares if these other countries get mad.
    I'd be mad if you cut my paycheck by 25% over night too!!!

This is something i can truly stick with trump
    He's been acting like an adult the last two weeks and been staying off Twitter
    See what he can accomplish when he stays off social media and actually goes into the office?

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
      F0ck that!!!
      I'm backing trump 100% on these tariffs
      He just needs to "show us the money"
      I wonder who is in Paul Ryan's pocket for him to go against these tariffs

And who cares if these other countries get mad.
      I'd be mad if you cut my paycheck by 25% over night too!!!

This is something i can truly stick with trump
      He's been acting like an adult the last two weeks and been staying off Twitter
      See what he can accomplish when he stays off social media and actually goes into the office?
      You didn't agree with his tax cuts?

Comment

Yeah quote for my building went up almost a grand.

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
          Yeah quote for my building went up almost a grand.
          How much was that percentage wise on the total cost of the building?

Comment

6%

Comment

I have a guy quoting me a porch on my shipping container and he told me his metal guy was 20% higher right now. I was shocked at the quote for an 18x18 porch (I have the R panel for roof) and he quoted $3500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Give the American metal factories a couple weeks to fire up the kilns guys

Comment

The steel tariffs directly affect me. A lot of people don’t know the facts:

Domestic steel mills are currently running at about 83% of capacity. The President is using a statute from the Kennedy days called Section 232 to establish these tariffs. By using Section 232, Trump is claiming that import steel is endangering the national security of the US. Section 232 also allows him to bypass the usual approvals required by congress and the DOC investigations that normally happen with a standard anti-dumping trade action.

The defense industry currently uses only about 3% of domestic steel production, so the “national defense” argument here is pretty thin internationally. However, Trump isn’t talking about the national defense issue, he is talking about steel jobs.

The domestic steel production industry employs about 150,000 people. The downstream industries that consume steel like appliance, automotive, construction, metal building, oil field, etc. employ 15-20 times that number. These are the people that will be hurt, and the artificially increased raw materials costs will be passed down to the consumers. It’s a way of taxing you on your new car to subsidize a chosen industry.

President Bush implemented a similar tactic in 2002, using a statute called Section 201 to put a 30% tariff on import steel. The steel market went nuts, with shortages and skyrocketing prices. The WTO ruled the tariffs as illegal and threatened to levy $2 billion in fines against the US if they did not remove them. The President removed the tariffs in response to the WTO less than 18 months after putting them into place.

Comment

Originally posted by TransPecos View Post
                    The steel tariffs directly affect me. A lot of people don’t know the facts:

Domestic steel mills are currently running at about 83% of capacity. The President is using a statute from the Kennedy days called Section 232 to establish these tariffs. By using Section 232, Trump is claiming that import steel is endangering the national security of the US. Section 232 also allows him to bypass the usual approvals required by congress and the DOC investigations that normally happen with a standard anti-dumping trade action.

The defense industry currently uses only about 3% of domestic steel production, so the “national defense” argument here is pretty thin internationally. However, Trump isn’t talking about the national defense issue, he is talking about steel jobs.

The domestic steel production industry employs about 150,000 people. The downstream industries that consume steel like appliance, automotive, construction, metal building, oil field, etc. employ 15-20 times that number. These are the people that will be hurt, and the artificially increased raw materials costs will be passed down to the consumers. It’s a way of taxing you on your new car to subsidize a chosen industry.

President Bush implemented a similar tactic in 2002, using a statute called Section 201 to put a 30% tariff on import steel. The steel market went nuts, with shortages and skyrocketing prices. The WTO ruled the tariffs as illegal and threatened to levy $2 billion in fines against the US if they did not remove them. The President removed the tariffs in response to the WTO less than 18 months after putting them into place.
                    So is your vote FOR or AGAINST these Trump tariffs?

And thanks for this insider info

Comment

I’m against the way they are being handled. I have been pleased with Trump’s policies up until now. This action has not been well thought out and shows an amateurish approach to global trade. Gary Cohn resigned over this issue. I think using an arcane statute to avoid congressional and international trade commission protocols is getting cute. The branches of government are in place to prevent exactly this kind of action. Importing galvalume coils to be rollformed into R-panel is not a threat to our national security.

There are already dozens of anti-dumping actions in place. Almost all forms of steel from China are already dumped in the US and have been since 2015. China currently accounts for less than 2% of steel imports, yet Trump continues to complain about Chinese steel. I think certain steel products (OCTG for example) are currently being dumped in the US by specific countries. That is why we have anti-dumping laws in place. But instead of targeting a specific situation, like rebar imports from Turkey, Trump is taking a shotgun approach and shooting from the hip.

What this means for the consumer is that the next time you buy galvanized HVAC duct from your local box store or pick up some R Panel from Mueller, you are going to pay 25%+ more. 25% so that Trump can save the critical special election in Pennsylvania’s 18th Congressional district...AKA Steel Country.

Comment

Originally posted by TransPecos View Post
                        I’m against the way they are being handled. I have been pleased with Trump’s policies up until now. This action has not been well thought out and shows an amateurish approach to global trade. Gary Cohn resigned over this issue. I think using an arcane statute to avoid congressional and international trade commission protocols is getting cute. The branches of government are in place to prevent exactly this kind of action. Importing galvalume coils to be rollformed into R-panel is not a threat to our national security.

There are already dozens of anti-dumping actions in place. Almost all forms of steel from China are already dumped in the US and have been since 2015. China currently accounts for less than 2% of steel imports, yet Trump continues to complain about Chinese steel. I think certain steel products (OCTG for example) are currently being dumped in the US by specific countries. That is why we have anti-dumping laws in place. But instead of targeting a specific situation, like rebar imports from Turkey, Trump is taking a shotgun approach and shooting from the hip.

What this means for the consumer is that the next time you buy galvanized HVAC duct from your local box store or pick up some R Panel from Mueller, you are going to pay 25%+ more. 25% so that Trump can save the critical special election in Pennsylvania’s 18th Congressional district...AKA Steel Country.

I like your thorough response and it is similar to my displeasure with it.
                        There wasn't enough explanation of the how's and why's.
                        Just take it and pound sand.
                        Very amateurish.

Comment

Dad's in a midwest steel mill. Used to work there in college. I'd inagine it'd take a year or two before contract rollovers begin before business starts fluctuating accordingnto market.

Comment

Them tariffs aint nothing more than a bargaining chip. Same as the NAFTA threats. Y'all got to know how to haggle, I am sure you do. We will experience some pricing issues for a while, but I reckon it'll work out.

Comment

We are experiencing price increases of 20% to 50% on sheet steel at the moment.. Increase of 15% the day after the announcement and yesterday one supplier quoted 50% increase over a week ago...

Quotes we are getting are now good for 1 business day only.. difficult to price shop in that environment, but I can live with it for the short term if it results in American jobs...

Comment

So he signed the tariffs and they should be in place in fifteen days

Comment

Working...
                                X