Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSNBC poll : Do you agree with laws allowing teachers to carry concealed weapons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
    How do we prevent this from happening?
    Sounds like similar deal that killed a guy in NW houston last month:

An officer with the San Antonio Police Department Street Crimes Unit is at the center of an internal affairs investigation, after he accidentally discharged a weapon.Michael Helle, president of the San Antonio police officers association, said it's rare bu

The accidental discharge happened Wednesday inside an office on Academic Court according to a police report obtained by Fox San Antonio.

Officer Ramirez was "about to change the batteries to his weapon mounted light kit on his personal rifle, when the gun discharged. " The rifle was reportedly in the safe position and the magazine was not loaded. Ramirez had "removed the magazine from the weapon when the discharge occurred." He did not have his finger on the trigger.
    If you are working on a gun... You unload it completely and then verify you did it again just to make sure. Basically one of the first rules of handling a gun. Guy didn't do that. Not an accident. Negligence. Promise ya.

Also literally anyone that knows about guns knows these things. The cop knew it and ignored it. Hence the negligence. Not trying to be rude to anyone but the fact that you and others seem to not know this makes me think folks ought to research guns and gun safety if they want to discuss this subject. Ignorance about guns and gun safety produces the biggest confusion on guns and we all need to be clear on these things to make sure we advocate knowledgably. Again not trying. To be rude, and sorry if I come off that way. It's not my intention.
    Last edited by Rubberdown; 02-25-2018, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      I would argue that both of them were dumbassery and unaware of your situation.

That idiot with the AR may have removed the magazine but here’s a thought, what about the one in the chamber? I I don’t buy that it was on safe either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Wish I had a dollar for every moron I've seen "clear" a semi auto in this fashion.

Picks it up, pulls back the slide, observes the round ejected. Dumps the slide, releases the magazine... pulls trigger. This isn't negligent, THIS is weapons grade stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostacresranch View Post
        That last sentence tells me everything I need to know about your real beliefs. You don’t want teachers to get extra money to be trained and evaluated as safety personnel? Why? We pay them to go to seminars and junkets to further teacher training throughout their careers. Have you raised your voice about THAT? My sister in law got 500 extra to go for a weekend in NO to learn how to color coordinate a class room. Yet that’s ok?
        Then you continue with you labeling women as somehow “unfit” to even hold a handgun. Do you think a 65 year old woman is the example of teachers in this country? Do you think one with shaking hands would be allowed to qualify on a range? Have you ever gone through any kind of range certification to carry? If you did, you would know that scenario you think would be the norm is fantasy in your own mind.
        1. I do have a problem with a teacher getting $500 extra to learn how to color coordinate a classroom. Especially when there are teachers teaching in crappy portable building, students that have zero to one excursions out of the school per year, and something as simple as having a secure door in a school isn't in place.

2. My first comment used "Mr. Bumblefingers" as an example and my second one referred to "Mrs. Jitteryhands" to avoid someone that is easily triggered by gender language. Guess you missed that post.

3. People, not you, keep pointing out the minute chance of an accidental discharge. I know. Mass shootings are a minute happening too and how's that working out in the public discourse? What I am trying to point out is that one AD by a teacher will be bad for us gun owners. I am hoping what ever gets passed is done right. I don't have a lot of faith in the Tweeter in Chief.

On a positive note, I think there have been some constructive comments.

1. Eliminate the restriction on LTC teachers and allow them to carry in schools.

2. Give them a $1,000 tax deduction for weapon, ammo, range.

3. Keep them updated with training.

4. Have a LEO that specializes in the school setting at each school, or some ratio the pros can figure out, and have them equipped with all the tools needed to eliminate a shooter.

5. Secure entry exits. The double door with entry room where both doors are controlled by the office or LEO seems best to me.

6. Upgrade classroom doors with secure ones.

7. Address mental health (too big of topic for this post)

8. A background check that is useful.
        Last edited by cabo390; 02-25-2018, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cabo390 View Post
          1. I do have a problem with a teacher getting $500 extra to learn how to color coordinate a classroom. Especially when there are teachers teaching in crappy portable building, students that have zero to one excursions out of the school per year, and something as simple as having a secure door in a school isn't in place.

2. My first comment used "Mr. Bumblefingers" as an example and my second one referred to "Mrs. Jitteryhands" to avoid someone that is easily triggered by gender language. Guess you missed that post.

3. People, not you, keep pointing out the minute chance of an accidental discharge. I know. Mass shootings are a minute happening too and how's that working out in the public discourse? What I am trying to point out is that one AD by a teacher will be bad for us gun owners. I am hoping what ever gets passed is done right. I don't have a lot of faith in the Tweeter in Chief.

On a positive note, I think there have been some constructive comments.

1. Eliminate the restriction on LTC teachers and allow them to carry in schools.

2. Give them a $1,000 tax deduction for weapon, ammo, range.

3. Keep them updated with training.

4. Have a LEO that specializes in the school setting at each school, or some ratio the pros can figure out, and have them equipped with all the tools needed to eliminate a shooter.

5. Secure entry exits. The double door with entry room where both doors are controlled by the office or LEO seems best to me.

6. Upgrade classroom doors with secure ones.

7. Address mental health (too big of topic for this post)

8. A background check that is useful.
          9. An FBI and Local law enforcement that follows though on very credible and continued threats.

Comment

10. Everyone report felony convictions.

Comment

Why would you not have trained teachers and administrators have access to weapons to save your kids life. There are too many sickos out there that are not getting the treatment they need and have this access to weapons I wish the media would quit putting his picture on tv every news cast. Be prepared and you maybe spared.

Comment

I am all for it with exceptions. Mandatory proficiency training and mandatory qualification at least 3 times a year on something like a 3 gun competition course using both handgun and rifle. This ain't no joke and people that carry should be able to perform as well under fire as any leo or soldier.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                  I hope you dont actually believe this "poll" is fair, unbiased, and will accurately reflect anything....
                  LOL.........MSNBC, CNN , FOX, BBC, CBS, NBC, ABC or anyone of the major broadcasters are biased as heck. Just a weird time in our history for sure!!!

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                    I am all for it with exceptions. Mandatory proficiency training and mandatory qualification at least 3 times a year on something like a 3 gun competition course using both handgun and rifle. This ain't no joke and people that carry should be able to perform as well under fire as any leo or soldier.
                    Agreed and I would be the first to say I would carry in our district but the district I work in says we do not need it and in less than 5 minutes I can prove them wrong n so many ways it is ridiculous.
                    Might get fired over this but there is no way on God’s Green Earth thst we are safe in this district contrary to what anyone in this district says. Sorry for saying the truth.

Comment

13%

Release the BOTS!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
                        13%

Release the BOTS!!!!
                        Bwaaaaaahaahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cabo390 View Post
                          I wasn't referring to the coward. In general, where security is needed, to keep costs low, rent a cops are used.

What is being offered is money to teachers to carry, so any teacher that wants more money will take a class or two, spend some time on the range, fill out the proper paperwork, and be a certified "professional." 60 year old Mr. Bumblefingers will be handling a loaded firearm around children everyday. I think that is a bad idea.

Most mass shooters are on a suicide mission, so I don't think it would be a determent. Suicide by cop happens enough that we have the term just for it. Now a suicidal person can just head over to Mrs. Smith's kindergarten classroom. I apply the law of unintended consequences to most ideas, especially those being tossed around by politicians.
                          this is the most cynical and quite honestly offensive thing i've read on here in a while. my wife is a 20yr teacher and a ccl holder and she is one of the educators that you are generalizing about here and you couldn't be more wrong. its no different than any other thing that is regulated by the state. How safe do you feel with a million new 1yr old drivers taking the road every year? that's ok but to trust an adult that has qualified to carry a gun in their place of work isn't? I carry every day and i don't see it any different than if i were teaching, you treat the firearm and the responsibility that comes with it the same regardless of the setting.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
                              13%

Release the BOTS!!!!
                              THey already did...... It was just the other side.

Comment

This poll is laughable. No way just 13% agree with arming teachers. I bet the reverse is true.

Comment

Working...
                                X