Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSNBC poll : Do you agree with laws allowing teachers to carry concealed weapons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That actually is crazy. It was a retention holster with a trigger guard, but the kids finger was small enough to fit in there and get the trigger. The department is "reviewing" their holsters to ensure this doesn't happen again.
    Last edited by Rubberdown; 02-25-2018, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
      That actually is crazy. It was a retention holster with a trigger guard, but the kids finger was small enough to fit in there and get the trigger. The department is "reviewing" their holsters to ensure this doesn't happen again.
      Why was the kid that close to the weapon and for how long was he near it?

Should police unchamber the round when they go to schools for "show and tell"?

What procedures need to be put in place to preventthis from happening again?

Comment

How do we prevent this from happening?
        Sounds like similar deal that killed a guy in NW houston last month:

An officer with the San Antonio Police Department Street Crimes Unit is at the center of an internal affairs investigation, after he accidentally discharged a weapon.Michael Helle, president of the San Antonio police officers association, said it's rare bu

The accidental discharge happened Wednesday inside an office on Academic Court according to a police report obtained by Fox San Antonio.

Officer Ramirez was "about to change the batteries to his weapon mounted light kit on his personal rifle, when the gun discharged. " The rifle was reportedly in the safe position and the magazine was not loaded. Ramirez had "removed the magazine from the weapon when the discharge occurred." He did not have his finger on the trigger.
        Last edited by texansfan; 02-25-2018, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post

Should police unchamber the round when they go to schools for "show and tell"?

What procedures need to be put in place to preventthis from happening again?
          Completely off topic.

All you do is come up with ANYTHING to argue about in EVERY thread you respond to. Just stop it!
          Last edited by Ironman; 02-25-2018, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
            Completely off topic.

All you do is come up with ANYTHING to argue about in EVERY thread you respond to. Just stop it!
            Please stop quoting him. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
              Please stop quoting him. Thanks.
              That may never happen. Sorry you don't like seeing some people's post from your ignore list. I want people to know who, and what I'm responding to.

Comment

MSNBC poll : Do you agree with laws allowing teachers to carry concealed weapons?

Originally posted by cabo390 View Post
                No. I am not against citizens being able to carry nor am I against teachers being able to carry. The problem is money is being offered to teachers to carry. Any teacher wanting/needing more money could take a few classes and be a certified "professional" and will be handling a loaded firearm around children everyday. I think that is a bad idea.

Last year a local boy exiting his stand had his rifle go off striking him in the head and he died. Firearm accidents happen, and when you are talking about millions of teachers/administrators handling firearms everyday, accidents will happen. My question is will the accident rate be greater, or more unacceptable than that caused by a school shooter.

Secured entry/exits. Good idea.

Professional LEOs. Good idea.

Address Mental health issues (huge problem in the USA and especially TX) Good idea.

Background check that is actually useful. Good idea.

Paying 65 year old Mrs. Jitteryhands to handle a Desert Eagle 50 everyday around children Bad idea.

That last sentence tells me everything I need to know about your real beliefs. You don’t want teachers to get extra money to be trained and evaluated as safety personnel? Why? We pay them to go to seminars and junkets to further teacher training throughout their careers. Have you raised your voice about THAT? My sister in law got 500 extra to go for a weekend in NO to learn how to color coordinate a class room. Yet that’s ok?
                Then you continue with you labeling women as somehow “unfit” to even hold a handgun. Do you think a 65 year old woman is the example of teachers in this country? Do you think one with shaking hands would be allowed to qualify on a range? Have you ever gone through any kind of range certification to carry? If you did, you would know that scenario you think would be the norm is fantasy in your own mind.

Comment

How do we prevent this from happening?
                  Sounds like similar deal that killed a guy in NW houston last month:

An officer with the San Antonio Police Department Street Crimes Unit is at the center of an internal affairs investigation, after he accidentally discharged a weapon.Michael Helle, president of the San Antonio police officers association, said it's rare bu

The accidental discharge happened Wednesday inside an office on Academic Court according to a police report obtained by Fox San Antonio.

Officer Ramirez was "about to change the batteries to his weapon mounted light kit on his personal rifle, when the gun discharged. " The rifle was reportedly in the safe position and the magazine was not loaded. Ramirez had "removed the magazine from the weapon when the discharge occurred." He did not have his finger on the trigger.

That had to be a negligent discharge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cabo390 View Post
                    20% was the number I heard mentioned. And listen, I hope I am wrong. I hope whatever is done, works.

A couple of flags went off in my head when I heard the discussion, so I thought I would post them here. The first I mentioned, money as an incentive for teachers to carry. I think this motivates non-gun savvy people to carry just to get some $.

Another problem that I haven't mentioned is insurance. If you live in a small school district like I do, there isn't an extra dollar for anything. What happens, and I don't know the answer here, if there is an accidental discharge from a teacher and a student is killed? Seems like a massive lawsuit, and maybe a massive insurance liability for the district.

Also, I know the number of accidental discharges is small. My concern is that if you think there is a *****storm now over the AR, what happens if a handgun of a teacher accidentally kills a kid? The vetting you mentioned better be spot on and the procedures put in place better be ironclad.

Whatever is done to decrease/eliminate shootings at school needs to be done right the first time. Some people seem to be getting a little pissy with their responses on this topic and that doesn't help the discussion, and discussion is what is needed to refine ideas, garner support and get it right. We are talking about a massive public investment, the public perception of firearms, and ultimately, the lives of our kids.

The left is known for knee-jerk reactions. Now is not the time for the right to fall into the same trap.

There is no real plan in place so stop thinking about teachers carrying to collect a check.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                      Completely off topic.

Off topic?
                      We are discussing UNINTENDED DISCHARGES AROUND SCHOOL KIDS

This is the very definition of that

What is wrong with you?
                      Are you not able to follow logic?
                      I'm providing you an actual data point as to why arming millions of teachers might not be the best thing
                      Because if we can see where a highly trained LEO gets his pistol discharged by a 3rd grader then how easy would it be for a high school senior to discharge the gun of his homeroom teacher?

You act as if I posted something about grape jelly vs strawberry jam

So you'll also say my post about the SAPD guy getting shot UNINTENTIONALLY in the station has nothing to do with misfires as well, right?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyt79 View Post
                        That had to be a negligent discharge!

All of them are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Off topic?

What is wrong with you?

I'm providing you an actual data point as to why arming millions of teachers might not be the best thing

Because if we can see where a highly trained LEO gets his pistol discharged by a 3rd grader then how easy would it be for a high school senior to discharge the gun of his homeroom teacher?

So you'll also say my post about the SAPD guy getting shot UNINTENTIONALLY in the station has nothing to do with misfires as well, right?

I would argue that both of them were dumbassery and unaware of your situation.

That idiot with the AR may have removed the magazine but here’s a thought, what about the one in the chamber? I I don’t buy that it was on safe either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

A poll from MSNBC is as truth worthy as letting micheal Jackson have a sleepover with your 8 year old boy. They go from high 70s in favor to low 30s in a couple of hours. Anyone that studied statistics knows this doesn’t happen in an uncontrolled survey. While numbers change over time, they never change that drastically.

Comment

Off topic?

What is wrong with you?

A police officer visiting a school, with his uniform on (pistol on his belt) has nothing to do with teachers ability to protect kids in school.

What exactly is an UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARGE? A Remington rifle with a bad trigger?

Comment

again?
                                Because it was on the officers belt and he was sitting in a classroom. Who cares how long he was near it? Took him less than a second to get his mitt in there and hit the trigger.

Should police unchamber the round when they go to schools for "show and tell?What procedures need to be put in place to preventthis from happening
                                again?
                                Why would they do that? Not being flippant. A properly designed holster makes this a moot issue. Guy wasn't waving his gun around, and his finger was nowhere near the trigger. A gun goes off because you pull the trigger. In this case It went off because he was wearing an improperly designed holster designed to prevent this exact thing from happening, and a child exploited the design flaw and pulled the trigger. They will make sure they have proper holsters in the future like they should have had all along. This was negligence by the police officer or department for using this holster.

Comment

Working...
                                X