Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSNBC poll : Do you agree with laws allowing teachers to carry concealed weapons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cabo390 View Post
    Accidental firearm discharges happen regardless of the setting. Statistically they happen with the military, LEOs and the public. I have been on the range and they have happened. My point is that they would happen less from a LEO than some teacher with a few hours of training.

The problem is one of scale. Currently there are about 500,000 LEOs in the USA and they have accidental discharges. Suggesting 20% or so of teachers carry is a force larger than all of the LEOs. Accidents will happen, and with the sensationalism media, what will the fallout be of that? I think LEOs are better than teachers at protecting students.

^^^^what he said

Comment

Minnesota 3rd-grader Fires Officer's Holstered Gun at School

February 6, 2018

Authorities are investigating how a Minnesota third-grader managed to discharge a police officer's holstered gun Monday afternoon while participating in a group activity at school, reports ABC News.

Comment

The only reason I voted yes was because Hell Yes wasn't an option.

Comment

Accidental firearm discharges happen regardless of the setting. Statistically they happen with the military, LEOs and the public. I have been on the range and they have happened. My point is that they would happen less from a LEO than some teacher with a few hours of training.

The problem is one of scale. Currently there are about 500,000 LEOs in the USA and they have accidental discharges. Suggesting 20% or so of teachers carry is a force larger than all of the LEOs. Accidents will happen, and with the sensationalism media, what will the fallout be of that? I think LEOs are better than teachers at protecting students.
          The number fails in this post is large.
          Speaking in terms of "Scale", the number of firearms in circulation compared to statistical data on 'accidental discharges' kills any real fear you have stated.
          But the big one...is your very last line.
          See the topic being talked about ...right now...
          Unarmed Teachers protected those kids in this case. Not LEOs.

Comment

well it now says 36%...what a load of crap

Comment

I won’t disagree that LEO should be better protectors. Statistically speaking, the less a gun is handled the slimmer the chance of a negligent discharge. There should be no reason for a trained teacher to be fondling their gun except in a very specific circumstance.

I don’t believe anyone is suggesting arming every single teacher. It would be a voluntary issue after vetting and training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                So four sworn LEO with over 100 years experience and training between them on that campus and it is still a "soft target"?

Oh, but some TBH 62 year old mom with a .38 is going to charge the shooter unlike these four sworn public defenders?
                YES!! Many times over. the first coward that showed was after the shots started and the last 3 cowards that showed were after the first and were hiding behind their vehicles when the police arrived. Yes they were cowards and yes this was a soft target. There were many buildings in this school and not a single resource officer was present at that building when it started!

That 62 year old may have, then other **** sure did not! You do not know if she would or would have not, period!

Comment

probably 500 people being paid by Soros to enter no votes around the clock
                  or just one person putting whatever number they want on there

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                    YES!! Many times over. the first coward that showed was after the shots started and the last 3 cowards that showed were after the first and were hiding behind their vehicles when the police arrived. Yes they were cowards and yes this was a soft target. There were many buildings in this school and not a single resource officer was present at that building when it started!

That 62 year old may have, then other **** sure did not! You do not know if she would or would have not, period!
                    Dont quote him. Hes truly not worthy.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                      Dont quote him. Hes truly not worthy.
                      True.

Comment

double post
                        Last edited by cabo390; 02-24-2018, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          I won’t disagree that LEO should be better protectors. Statistically speaking, the less a gun is handled the slimmer the chance of a negligent discharge. There should be no reason for a trained teacher to be fondling their gun except in a very specific circumstance.

I don’t believe anyone is suggesting arming every single teacher. It would be a voluntary issue after vetting and training.

20% was the number I heard mentioned. And listen, I hope I am wrong. I hope whatever is done, works.

A couple of flags went off in my head when I heard the discussion, so I thought I would post them here. The first I mentioned, money as an incentive for teachers to carry. I think this motivates non-gun savvy people to carry just to get some $.

Another problem that I haven't mentioned is insurance. If you live in a small school district like I do, there isn't an extra dollar for anything. What happens, and I don't know the answer here, if there is an accidental discharge from a teacher and a student is killed? Seems like a massive lawsuit, and maybe a massive insurance liability for the district.

Also, I know the number of accidental discharges is small. My concern is that if you think there is a *****storm now over the AR, what happens if a handgun of a teacher accidentally kills a kid? The vetting you mentioned better be spot on and the procedures put in place better be ironclad.

Whatever is done to decrease/eliminate shootings at school needs to be done right the first time. Some people seem to be getting a little pissy with their responses on this topic and that doesn't help the discussion, and discussion is what is needed to refine ideas, garner support and get it right. We are talking about a massive public investment, the public perception of firearms, and ultimately, the lives of our kids.

The left is known for knee-jerk reactions. Now is not the time for the right to fall into the same trap.

Comment

Teachers should be armed as a last line of defense. The should get their handgun paid for, up to $500, holster up to $30 and 200 rounds of ammo per year. And they should be able to deduct all cost of the weapon, including training and additional ammo purchased on their taxes.

Edit...that's a 1 time credit towards gun and holster.

Comment

20% was the number I heard mentioned. And listen, I hope I am wrong. I hope whatever is done, works.

A couple of flags went off in my head when I heard the discussion, so I thought I would post them here. The first I mentioned, money as an incentive for teachers to carry. I think this motivates non-gun savvy people to carry just to get some $.

Another problem that I haven't mentioned is insurance. If you live in a small school district like I do, there isn't an extra dollar for anything. What happens, and I don't know the answer here, if there is an accidental discharge from a teacher and a student is killed? Seems like a massive lawsuit, and maybe a massive insurance liability for the district.

Also, I know the number of accidental discharges is small. My concern is that if you think there is a *****storm now over the AR, what happens if a handgun of a teacher accidentally kills a kid? The vetting you mentioned better be spot on and the procedures put in place better be ironclad.

Whatever is done to decrease/eliminate shootings at school needs to be done right the first time. Some people seem to be getting a little pissy with their responses on this topic and that doesn't help the discussion, and discussion is what is needed to refine ideas, garner support and get it right. We are talking about a massive public investment, the public perception of firearms, and ultimately, the lives of our kids.

The left is known for knee-jerk reactions. Now is not the time for the right to fall into the same trap.

Whatever solution is tried is going to cost money. I don’t know if offering extra $$ to teachers is the answer. I believe that anyone that volunteers to do it without any incentive is more likely to be serious about protecting the kids; the sheepdog concept comes to mind.

All I know is what we are doing currently with gun free zones and such isn’t working.

Comment

I am a teacher, I have a LTC and I would do this with no incentive money added. Where I work, in a portable building and no fencing around any of it, I do definitely feel unsafe as our doors are open or unlocked all day long. Unfortunately my stuff I use for protection is locked in my pickup about 75 yards away!

Comment

Working...
                                X