A letter to my pro gun friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cuttingedge View Post
    Actually, one of the first school shooters was a girl, and there have been other girl shooters as well.

This post and it's replies so far is just an extremely small example of why things are the way they are, and why it is so difficult to initiate any kind of beneficial change.

See, the issue as I see it, the absolute most important thing is,

HOW DO WE PROTECT OUR CHILDREN?

As group of folks who are somewhat like-minded, we cannot focus on the problem without tearing each other down or pointing to the 9000 other factors, such as morals, and raising kids, religion... things that we have ZERO control over.

I reckon in the coming days, weeks, months, the anti-gun lobby, students, parents will have a common focus and common goal. And you know what else they will have? Big Money behind them.

As long as we, the folks that want to keep our gun rights, can do nothing better than tell each other we are dumb, sit on our laurels, and offer nothing to help fix the problem otherwise, we shouldn't be surprised when the legislation starts passing to help free us of our rights.
    The parents, grandparents, aunts uncles etc of the victims of the Beslan terrorist siege vowed "never again." And to this day several of them sit in their child's classrooms with locked and loaded AK's and handguns.

Comment

You can protect your children by never letting them out of your sight. Take them out and live in a remote area of the world and home school them. Is your idea that we have armed guards on every corner? Wouldnt we need one per classroom? My kids go to a school where all the doors are locked and you have to buzzed in. Are they safe? I believe they are. They go to recess outside each day. Should they only play in doors? One armed guard could help but there will always be vulnerabilities.

I pay dues to our neighborhood for extra police patrol so I'm not opposed to paying for safety. It just has to make sense in the big picture. My goal is not to divert the debate to intangible problems that cannot be fixed. I'd pay all my income and then borrow some if you could guarantee my kids would be safe their entire lives. But I still think there are flaws in your original post.

Comment

We could start by fixing the FBI. Two separate people reported the Florida shooter to them and they did nothing.

The local police had numerous encounters with him.

How many other attacks have occurred that were on the FBI's radar?

I'm in favor of arming our school staff that are willing to take on the responsibility.

Comment

Notice the left never blames "the gun" when a police officer shoots someone?

let that sink in

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
            I can already hear the "ban the AR's" drumbeat and all that will do is drive the price up, not make anyone safer. That ban the gun genie is out of the bottle- there are 300 million guns in America. I have never seen a gun walk itself into any situation and start going off- this is a people problem. Does anyone think that a competent person with a .45 auto or 9mm with several magazines can't inflict similar type casualties? Trucks and vans have been used as murder weapons, even in this country, but nobody has called for their ban. Machetes are use by the MS13 gang members and yet we protect their rights as illegals "looking for a new life". Liberals scream about stricter gun control while they ignore the carnage going on the liberal, Democrat run cities with the stiffest gun laws in the country. My heart goes out to the families that lost loved ones but problems are never solved when emotions are still raw.

Yessir, and I sure as hell don’t want their karma biting me in the butt if they get their way with this people control. Yes it’s not gun control it’s people control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cuttingedge View Post
              Actually, one of the first school shooters was a girl, and there have been other girl shooters as well.

This post and it's replies so far is just an extremely small example of why things are the way they are, and why it is so difficult to initiate any kind of beneficial change.

See, the issue as I see it, the absolute most important thing is,

HOW DO WE PROTECT OUR CHILDREN?

As group of folks who are somewhat like-minded, we cannot focus on the problem without tearing each other down or pointing to the 9000 other factors, such as morals, and raising kids, religion... things that we have ZERO control over.

I reckon in the coming days, weeks, months, the anti-gun lobby, students, parents will have a common focus and common goal. And you know what else they will have? Big Money behind them.

As long as we, the folks that want to keep our gun rights, can do nothing better than tell each other we are dumb, sit on our laurels, and offer nothing to help fix the problem otherwise, we shouldn't be surprised when the legislation starts passing to help free us of our rights.
              Well everyone better start by keeping their kids at home because they're 1,000,000 times more likely to get hurt in a car wreck.

And there is no problem. Where does people dying from mass shootings rank on the list as reasons people die? Or just name another way to die that's less common.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                Mental health and prescription control.
                BOOM!!!! In five words you solved the problem!!

These anit-gun nuts want to talk about blood money...go talk to the pharmacy lobbyist!!

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyAg97 View Post
                  This idea isn’t half bad. I think the govt could screw this up royally, but this is probably the best idea I’ve seen so far.

There isn’t one thing that will fix it. I think the culture in general is a large contributing factor.
                  This would get abused so much by the people that believe #metoo is a legit thing... In theory it's a good idea, but how long until some pissy spouse is filing a petition just to get back at the other spouse? i know you will say well they can appeal and go through a hearing, now you are just throwing money down the toilet, court cost aint cheap, not to mention having to hire a lawyer if you want to have any chance of getting your guns back. This idea will drive down gun sale and that is the end goal.

prescriptions and the lack of mental institutions are the real problem, but everyone want to punish the hunk of metal that randomly pulls its own trigger at groups of people. (not saying you are one of the people that are blaming guns, please don't take it that way)

Comment

"The government solution to a problem is usually as bad as the problem."
                    -Milton Friedman-

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
                      "The government solution to a problem is usually as bad as the problem."
                      -Milton Friedman-
                      Or. A solution that won't work, to a problem that doesn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        These are not useful contributions to a(ny) discussion, and are exactly the type of comments that we are trying to prevent on this forum. If you can't offer an intelligent response to the discussion, please find another place to hang out.
                        Thanks Mike!

Comment

My old school had some local guys, cops, vets, etc, take turns during the week driving around the schools. Of course it was an over exaggerated response because it's a little small school, but it seemed to be a decent place to start. They stayed out of the school zone, on public roads and just kept an eye out for anything out of the ordinary. Just a thought, make it a community thing.

Comment

AZST_bowhunter, the article specifically spells out how you have to provide credible evidence and the responder has the opportunity to address the charges before the GVRO is implemented. It becomes part of due process that the country was founded on. That will prevent someone who gets their nose out of joint trying to ruin someone's day/life. I see this as a way to address the people issue that this is.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                              Mental health and prescription control.
                              This is the biggest issue of all.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                                AZST_bowhunter, the article specifically spells out how you have to provide credible evidence and the responder has the opportunity to address the charges before the GVRO is implemented. It becomes part of due process that the country was founded on. That will prevent someone who gets their nose out of joint trying to ruin someone's day/life. I see this as a way to address the people issue that this is.
                                As I read it “accusations” are limited to immediate family or people who live with you. Not just anybody can drive action here. If you marry an ol gal that’s bat**** crazy, well that’s on you lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X