Time to gring you A game, boycotters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to gring you A game, boycotters!

When Target reiterated last week that transgender employees and customers can use restrooms and fitting rooms that match their gender, apoplectic bigots threatened to boycott.

The American Family Association (AFA), a fundamentalist Christian nonprofit that is considered a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), claims to have gathered more than 517,000 signatures on its petition.

“Target’s store policy endangers women and children by allowing men to frequent women’s facilities,” the boycott pledge reads. “Until Target makes the safety of women and children a priority, I will shop elsewhere.”

First of all, there is no evidence to suggest that transgender people are a danger in restrooms, nor that anti-transgender legislation protects the safety of women and children.

Groups like the AFA often cite rare fringe cases of non-transgender sexual predators dressing like women in bathrooms but fail to clarify that these criminals can already be prosecuted under existing privacy legislation.

For instance, a Virginia man who dressed as a woman and brought recording equipment into a ladies’ room last year was charged with peeping and unlawful filming. Additional laws focused on chromosomes or birth certificates were—and are still—unnecessary.

But facts aside, if any open support of transgender people is a deal-breaker for the half-million signatories on AFA’s pledge, then the boycott needs to get bigger. A lot bigger.

Last year, 407 businesses achieved a perfect score of 100 on the Corporate Equality Index (CEI), a survey distributed by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) that measures support for LGBT employees and the broader LGBT community. That high score is impossible to achieve without having trans-inclusive health-care and anti-discrimination policies that include gender identity.

In other words, money spent at at these businesses helps to normalize a culture in which transgender people are seen as valid and worthy of special protection.

These 407 companies aren’t exactly mom-and-pop shops, either. It would be almost impossible for bigots to avoid doing business with all of them.

In fact, if you oppose transgender rights, you shouldn’t even be spreading AFA’s petition using their recommended #BoycottTarget hashtag because Facebook, Twitter, and Google all aced the CEI. Every minute spent on those social media giants helps them promote LGBT equality, including the T.

If you don’t want your money to go to a company that openly supports transgender people, you can’t buy an iPhone, eat an Egg McMuffin, drink a Sprite, stock up Budweiser, or fill your prescriptions at either of the nation’s two largest pharmacy chains because Apple, McDonald’s, Coca-Cola, Anheuser-Busch, Walgreens, and CVS all scored a 100 on the HRC index.

What say you?

Gring??? What is gring? hot dog fingers and small keyboards dont jive!

I know, im boycotting all small keyboatdz!

Comment

I just looked over the 2016 report and it lists all the companies with 100% ratings.
      I guess if we are going to boycott I might as well drop off the grid and squat in a wilderness area somewhere in Idaho because I wouldn't be able to get anything done anyway.

Comment

Hmm, how long before this gets whacked.

Personally if you want to send your child into the bathroom with Caitlin.....your call, but personally not mine....but thats just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyl View Post
          Hmm, how long before this gets whacked.

Personally if you want to send your child into the bathroom with Caitlin.....your call, but personally not mine....but thats just me.
          I think you missed the point.

Comment

There are 3/4 of a million registered sex offenders that now can simply claim transgender feelings to waltz right in behind your daughters.
            Not in my lifetime!

Comment

I think we are still missing the point. I don't think skeeter is trying to argue for or against.
              Look at the report. I think you would be surprised at the companies we deal with everyday that have the same policies as say Target. It is quite a list.

Comment

Good thing I wear Under Armour and drive a Chevy....

I'm just kidding, I don't care what someone wants to do with their life, it's not my place to judge anyone. I am a god parent to a boy whose parents are lesbians, I don't care. With that being said, I really don't believe in this "identify" word, it's just as dumb as "politically correct". As mentioned earlier, any person can go do whatever they want if they are sick enough (guy dresses like girl to go to women's bathroom). But, this identify thing is overboard, I watched a video of a man that walked into Target and said to the manager "i feel uncomfortable in the men's bathroom, with your new policy can I go into the women's bathroom" manager said yes, and that if any women had a problem with it he would address the issue. Come on, this is as pathetic as the black lives matter deal. If you have boy parts you go to the boys restroom, if you have girl parts then you go to the girls restroom, simple. Good on those companies that extend all their rights to the LGBT community, but get rid of that "identify" word, it leaves the whole thing to broad.

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
                  Good thing I wear Under Armour and drive a Chevy....

I'm just kidding, I don't care what someone wants to do with their life, it's not my place to judge anyone. I am a god parent to a boy whose parents are lesbians, I don't care. With that being said, I really don't believe in this "identify" word, it's just as dumb as "politically correct". As mentioned earlier, any person can go do whatever they want if they are sick enough (guy dresses like girl to go to women's bathroom). But, this identify thing is overboard, I watched a video of a man that walked into Target and said to the manager "i feel uncomfortable in the men's bathroom, with your new policy can I go into the women's bathroom" manager said yes, and that if any women had a problem with it he would address the issue. Come on, this is as pathetic as the black lives matter deal. If you have boy parts you go to the boys restroom, if you have girl parts then you go to the girls restroom, simple. Good on those companies that extend all their rights to the LGBT community, but get rid of that "identify" word, it leaves the whole thing to broad.
                  dang it....i looked for chevy, not GM...oh well

Comment

Penis: men's room
                    Vagina: women's restroom
                    Why's this such a difficult & discussed issue.

Comment

Maybe instead of icons with nondescript people in pants or dresses they should have a "P" on one door and a "V" on the other.

Comment

"An honest government has no fear of an armed population".

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                          Penis: men's room
                          Vagina: women's restroom
                          Why's this such a difficult & discussed issue.
                          Because of females like this.

Comment

With all the things in this country that need to be addressed and this is on the list of things to do.... The USA is going down the drain very fast.

Comment

Originally posted by 41Chevy View Post
                              Because of females like this.
                              are you saying that has a v

Comment

Working...
                              X