D's & R's Agree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D's & R's Agree

I have a brother-in-law whom I believe would qualify as a Yellow Dog Democrat. For you youngsters, Texas used to be a solid D state (before Bill Clements ran for Governor). Back then we'd call such a person that because we figured he'd vote for a yellow dog if it ran as a Democrat.

Well, wifey got a note from her brother the other day. Russell is what you might call a "gentleman farmer" these days. That is, he farms a little just to keep busy, but isn't real serious about it. He used to be a County Agent, and before that a Methodist missionary in Guatemala. All his kids graduated from college, and have different ideas than their dad. But I digress . . .

In his note, Russell lamented that he doesn't understand the Trumpmania. It seems to him that whomever Trump disparages, those people (particularly women) flock to vote for him anyway.

I told wifey that her brother isn't any different than conservative R's these days in that respect. Considering myself one of those, we just don't understand the attraction. But like Lindsey Graham said when asked if he'd vote for Trump were he to win the nomination - "guess at that point I'd just buy my ticket on the Titanic." I'm thinking it's getting pretty certain now that we either buy that ticket, or forfeit our right to complain about the result come November.

I don't see your point... What are the Democrats and Republicans agreeing on? Trump has won 2 out of the first 3 primaries by a fairly large margin, and barely lost to Cruz in the first one. I don't see how you would think Republicans aren't supporting him? And of course somebody who would "vote for a yellow dog" that runs (D) wouldn't support a Republican nominee, that's common sense.

What I don't understand is the hate for the guy that a lot of people have. As I've stated before, I l'd be happy with either Trump or Cruz as the nominee, so please don't label me as a "Trumpkin" or whatever immature nonsense has been getting thrown around lately. Maybe he hasn't explained his plans for what he wants to do. Heck, maybe he doesn't have a plan for some of it yet. But the desire is there. If he wants something to happen and isn't just blowing smoke, then I would be willing to bet he will surround himself with the type of people who will help him figure out how.

I know this may be a long post, but what I'm trying to get at is that I believe he'd be worth giving a chance. I agree with a lot of his positions, even if he doesn't exactly have the best personality. I feel like anybody in the race besides him and Cruz would make too many deals with the Democrats and wouldn't be able to take the measures necessary to start turning things around.

Comment

I was glad when Trump got into the race and I like how he has stirred things up and got people talking about them.
      But he still hasn't really fleshed out these big plans he talks about and for whatever reason and possibly just intuition, I think he's about as conservative as the great Republican Michael Bloomberg. I don't support him.
      Cruz is my guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
        I was glad when Trump got into the race and I like how he has stirred things up and got people talking about them.
        But he still hasn't really fleshed out these big plans he talks about and for whatever reason and possibly just intuition, I think he's about as conservative as the great Republican Michael Bloomberg. I don't support him.
        Cruz is my guy.
        Oh, oh,.........BK said Bloomberg!!!
        No soda, no snacks and the global warming drama is all we need right about now.

Comment

You forgot NO guns!

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
            You forgot NO guns!
            YES I DID..............OMG, I am slipping bad! This diet is shrinking my brain cells......lol!
            Man oh man, if he gets in the race it is going to be crazy times all over the USA!!!

Comment

The only way I'd vote for Trump is if he wins the GOP nomination.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                The only way I'd vote for Trump is if he wins the GOP nomination.
                Thumper wins the chicken dinner.

And to clarify my position, Trump looks so likely to win the thing that Trump voters will feel like they were right.... right up until Hillary wins the Presidency.

Comment

Originally posted by Ham Slammer View Post
                  I don't see your point... What are the Democrats and Republicans agreeing on? Trump has won 2 out of the first 3 primaries by a fairly large margin, and barely lost to Cruz in the first one. I don't see how you would think Republicans aren't supporting him? And of course somebody who would "vote for a yellow dog" that runs (D) wouldn't support a Republican nominee, that's common sense.

What I don't understand is the hate for the guy that a lot of people have. As I've stated before, I l'd be happy with either Trump or Cruz as the nominee, so please don't label me as a "Trumpkin" or whatever immature nonsense has been getting thrown around lately. Maybe he hasn't explained his plans for what he wants to do. Heck, maybe he doesn't have a plan for some of it yet. But the desire is there. If he wants something to happen and isn't just blowing smoke, then I would be willing to bet he will surround himself with the type of people who will help him figure out how.

I know this may be a long post, but what I'm trying to get at is that I believe he'd be worth giving a chance. I agree with a lot of his positions, even if he doesn't exactly have the best personality. I feel like anybody in the race besides him and Cruz would make too many deals with the Democrats and wouldn't be able to take the measures necessary to start turning things around.
                  there is another fellow in office, as we speak, who has done the same thing as what trump is doing. lots of energy, lots of followers, lots of speaches. no substance on any level and the promise of "hiring the best minds" to help with the country.

we aren't doing too well with that are we?

Comment

Working...
                  X