Roman Empire History Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

The history of Rome I've heard started with Marius, it would be interesting to get more background prior to him. Is there more to the name than "History of Rome"? Is it hte podcast by Mike Duncan?
    Yes it is. The episodes are short (about 15-20 min each) and easily digestible. Excellent commute podcast.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
      The Roman Republic is traditionally dated from the overthrow of the last king in 509 BC (this date might be mythical, but is probably close) to 27 BC with the ascension of Augustus to emperor. The western roman empire dates from 27 BC to 476 AD when Romulus Augustulus was deposed by Odoacer. That is a little more than 500 years.

The eastern roman empire dates from 27 BC to 1453 AD when the last eastern emperor (Byzantine) was overthrown by the Ottoman empire.

If you are interested in Roman history, there is a great podcast called the History of Rome that goes from the mythical founding of Rome through the last western emperor. It is outstanding. The period of the late republic with the Gracchi brothers to Marius and Sulla through Julius Caesar has quite a few parallels to our current political situation.
      Thanks for the recommendation. It has been added to the playlist.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post

Yes it is. The episodes are short (about 15-20 min each) and easily digestible. Excellent commute podcast.
        I started it yesterday. I am finishing up a book, Biography of Jerusalem, and this is next on my list. 170 plus episodes!

Comment

Working...
        X