Automate License plate readers in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automate License plate readers in Texas

Sorry if this has been posted. An article in the county newspaper last week stated the commissioners had approved the installation of automated license plate readers in our small county of 8000 plus people. Has anyone else heard of this big brother crap?

AUTOMATED LICENSE PLATE READER (ALPR) A camera system that automatically photographs and stores license plate numbers, date, time, and location information. ALPRs may be permanently fixed, portable trailer-mounted, or vehicle-mounted​

I'm pretty sure i've seen cars with the readers around Houston. If memory serves correct, some are even third party drivers working for the county/city. Cops see my license plate all day anyway. No warrants so no worries.

Comment

It’s been going on for years. Y’all are just the last ones to implement. It’s great for revenue. Instantly know if registration is expired. Easy money tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
        It’s been going on for years. Y’all are just the last ones to implement. It’s great for revenue. Instantly know if registration is expired. Easy money tickets.
        👍 I live in a sheltered world it’s obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
          Sorry if this has been posted. An article in the county newspaper last week stated the commissioners had approved the installation of automated license plate readers in our small county of 8000 plus people. Has anyone else heard of this big brother crap?

AUTOMATED LICENSE PLATE READER (ALPR) A camera system that automatically photographs and stores license plate numbers, date, time, and location information. ALPRs may be permanently fixed, portable trailer-mounted, or vehicle-mounted​
          We might have had LPRs for almost 20 years.

I have never heard of using them for citations. We use them for warrants and to find suspect vehicles.
          Attached Files

Comment

It’s definitely been used on cars for quite some time, I’ve been pulled over twice due to random scans.

The first time was not quite 10 years ago, August 2014 in fact. A Constable scanned me going through a toll plaza and pulled me over a mile of so down the road for suspicion of operating a stolen vehicle. When I was driving a truck I had bought brand new more than 10 years earlier and held clear title on for around 7 years. Apparently a vehicle with the same plate number in Pennsylvania had been stolen and it had somehow been flagged as a Texas plate number.

The 2nd time was for “no insurance”. My wife had switched our coverage to some time of BS agency and they hadn’t updated our coverage in their system so, random scan, comes up no insurance, get pulled over.

Sorry, but those scanners are absolute BS.

Comment

[QUOTE=tvc184;n26749331]

We might have had LPRs for almost 20 years.

I have never heard of using them for citations. We use them for warrants and to find suspect vehicles.
              [/QUOT

lol You are correct on me being archaic. In my defense I assumed police cars had readers, i remember the red light camera fiasco, the technology is there but i wasn’t aware ore have ignored them putting fixed LPRs on the general highways, especially rural areas. Yep it’s even reached poduncville now. lol

Comment

I was involved with this program about 15 years ago and it has nothing to do with citations. It was used many times to put vehicles at scenes or areas later when developing suspects

Comment

LPRs are in use and have been in use for some time now. As others have mentioned, the use is not necessarily for the purpose of issuing citations. LPRs along with surveillance cameras have been instrumental in helping apprehend a lot of criminals. Is there potential for agencies to use them in an invasive way that violates someone’s rights, of course but that’s like any other technology.

Lots of private business are using them as well. It’s an easy way to control traffic in and out of private parking garages. Universities can scan parked cars at parking lots that require parking permits. That’s just a couple of examples that come to mind quickly.

Comment

I've caught a lot of crooks using them. I set up a geofence of cameras I want looking for stolen vehicles. I get a text when a stolen passes by and we start looking for it.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                      I was involved with this program about 15 years ago and it has nothing to do with citations. It was used many times to put vehicles at scenes or areas later when developing suspects
                      Originally posted by andre3k View Post
                      I've caught a lot of crooks using them. I set up a geofence of cameras I want looking for stolen vehicles. I get a text when a stolen passes by and we start looking for it.
                      Yeppppp…….

Since ours stored them in a database that was searchable, we could find suspect vehicles off of a witness description.

if someone reported that a kidnapping, murder, etc., suspect for example, had a white Honda with the first three letters on the license plate being ABC, the LPR could not only search for a suspect immediately (especially mounted on police vehicles) but also search for any scanned vehicle in the last 90 days citing that description.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                        No warrants so no worries.
                        We are going to search your house. No contraband, no worries.

The issue as I see it is, "free" citizens are now being tracked by the government. They can run your plate and see everywhere that the vehicle has passed a plate reader. I do not want the government tracking me.

The government: GA Bowhunter said mean things about Biden. Pull up his tax returns, run his car tags, run a web search on him to see what websites he's been too. If his vehicle has gone near a gun store, bring him into the jail for questioning.
                        We got a hit. His truck was in DC on January 6th. Charge him with insurrection.

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post

We are going to search your house. No contraband, no worries.

The issue as I see it is, "free" citizens are now being tracked by the government. They can run your plate and see everywhere that the vehicle has passed a plate reader. I do not want the government tracking me.

The government: GA Bowhunter said mean things about Biden. Pull up his tax returns, run his car tags, run a web search on him to see what websites he's been too. If his vehicle has gone near a gun store, bring him into the jail for questioning.
                          We got a hit. His truck was in DC on January 6th. Charge him with insurrection.
                          Pretty much how it's done. Big brother is always watching and with ground penetrating radar too
                          Only if you are here illegally will they not be able to find you.

Comment

The FLOCK camera system that is all over DFW lets us search for stolen and suspect vehicle LPs. I dont know what the numbers are for increasing arrests/finding stolen cars, missing people, but it has to be a huge jump. It is not used to issue citations or look for traffic offenses. Im sure conspiracy/big brother folks will disagree but it sure helps get people their stuff back in a timely manner (before being wrecked/cut up) and find bad guys.

Comment

It’s not a conspiracy when it’s resulted in someone (me) being pulled over and detained. Twice. While I was 100% legal both times.

I’m not looking at this from an LEO perspective, I’m looking at it as a tax paying, legal private citizen. The first time cost me over half an hour between about 4-4:30 AM while I was on my way to work. I mean, who doesn’t like waking up that early for work, just to be on the side of the road and surrounded for 30 minutes while also not being given a reason?

The 2nd time, pulled over due to a stupid insurance company, but still the result of a random scan and the patrolman pulled a dangerous 180 on a non divided road in front of other traffic because my insurance hadn’t been updated in the database.

That is absolutely being used for a traffic violation and it happened to me so do not even say that it doesn’t happen.

And I have 0 issues with LEO doing their jobs, but randomly scanning vehicles driving down the road it pure BS. There is no good reason for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X