Abbott/Vouchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abbott/Vouchers

Well, here in my neck of the woods, the incumbent was primaried yesterday. He did not support school vouchers. I know Abbott vowed to back candidates who supported vouchers and she won. I dont live in district 55 but Im really close and Shine was beat. I can tell you that Shine is a good man and supports Bell County in so many ways. I wish I could have voted for him.
    he Abbott backed candidate also won the Waco area.
    At the end of the day, I dont dislike Abbott but the school voucher thing has me wondering who is lining his pockets. Im sure Hickman will be just fine in our area.

I also cant believe that McNamara won the primary in Waco yest. I have way too many ties in Waco and everyone was supporting Aguirre.

Not sure who the other house districts fell throughout the state with folks who opposed Abbotts vouchers. I havent read up on much today at all.
    I dont support vouchers whatsoever.

I don’t know everything about vouchers, but if a child is going to a less than “good” school, what are parents to do. I guess they could suck it up and move…..

Comment

If you like your school stay there, what is wrong with parents having options without having to move? The majority of our shcools are ESL students.

Comment

Public school is a broken sham. Anyone that supports it in it current state is blind.

i say rip state oversight and let local boards manage and run. It will only get worse as long as the “state” runs things

Comment

The Abbot-backed candidate won in my district too here in Liberty County... Incumbent was a long time entrenched guy... I'm shocked he got ousted, but not disappointed.

Comment

I absolutely am in favor of parents' right to choose the school where their kids go and to take the tax dollars for their child's education with them. Unfortunately, our anti-school choice representative was re-elected. He also supported Dade Phelan. He's a really nice and good man. I know him and like him. But he votes with the liberals on some important issues, so I voted for his opponent. She is a joke with all sorts of issues I won't even go into, but she would likely vote the same way I would more often than the incumbent. I just couldn't bring myself to vote for a guy that doesn't support school choice or a guy that did support Dade Phelan and Democrats being appointed committee chairmen.

Comment

I think school vouchers are good in theory, but I don’t see how it works in reality. I don’t really think it addresses the actual issues of public education it just gives tax payers a hand job that feels good, but doesn’t actually accomplish anything.

so all the kids from District B can now choose to go to District A. Great… where do you put them? District A can only accommodate so many kids. The same # of kids still need school, so the same number of teachers are required. None of the so called “bad teachers “ lose their job, they just get hired at a different district. There is a teacher shortage as it is. And same uninvolved parents who don’t raise their **** kids right in the 1st place are still going to be parents, & those same “problem kids” will still be problems at the school of their choice.

same issue exist, no solutions, but hey we got to choose where our problems exist!

and yes, our Abbott backed candidate Dustin Burrows won again, and he’s a Dade Phelan supporter so that tells you his actual politics….
              Last edited by Playa; 03-06-2024, 06:10 PM.

Comment

What vouchers will do is force the issue... the old rule of unintended consequences comes to mind... If schools are really that bad and parents choose to take their kids our of a system and place them into another system that better serves their needs, so be it... the inferior schools will fix what's wrong or go under... Just like a business that serves the same community... They don't serve their customers, they won't have customers for very long...

Comment

Let me ask a real question for the supporters….
                  Say your child attends school district A which is a craphole with crap kids and you are wanting to send your child to district B. Now, bc of the reasons that Playa mentioned above, district B wont accept your childs transfer. So, you look at district C and get the same “we arent accepting transfers”. The other options are just too far to travel. Now what?
                  Private School? Which you cant afford. We all know their prices are going to increase as well.
                  i see the only benefit here is private schools. They will increase their tuition prices to where parents are still paying the same but now they have added voucher $$$.
                  That will now harm all the other districts who currently get that funding for those kids. We dont need to get into how under funded our schools are now.

i do agree that our system isnt the best and could be better but vouchers arent the instant answer.

my thoughts, you dont like the school your kids are in, try to transfer and if you cant, move. Plain and simple. I make significant sacrifices for my kids every day and wouldnt hesitate to make another one. But, I live in a great district and moved here for a reason.

Comment

At the end of the day, a vast majority wont send their kids to another district out of laziness. So, again, only benefit is to private schools.

Comment

I'm pro vouchers, if public isn't up to par better up their game versus having a captive audience.......most against it work for public schools or their spouse does.....reason public districts are against it is simply the money they get and waste, it would stand to reason if you have fewer students you need fewer staff but we know how that works, schools are a government agency funded by tax dollars and government never shrinks.....they can argue they aren't government but when I am forced to pay taxes to fund it it's government.

Comment

I am anti voucher and will admit that my wife is an administrator in our district.
                        im curious to know what you mean by waste? I can only speak for our district. We are 2A and I cant think of a single dollar wasted. A school as small as ours cannot afford to waste a penny. Now, I cant speak for other disrtricts.

I think there has to be a better way than what is being sold to is now. Do i know what that is? Nope.

My wife herself also has no influence on my position. I just see what she deals with every day. Most on here dont see that. Not even the members who have a wife who is a teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
                          I am anti voucher and will admit that my wife is an administrator in our district.
                          im curious to know what you mean by waste? I can only speak for our district. We are 2A and I cant think of a single dollar wasted. A school as small as ours cannot afford to waste a penny. Now, I cant speak for other disrtricts.

I think there has to be a better way than what is being sold to is now. Do i know what that is? Nope.

My wife herself also has no influence on my position. I just see what she deals with every day. Most on here dont see that. Not even the members who have a wife who is a teacher.

If she is a teacher and her school is performing well and doing what they are supposed to be doing then they shouldn't have a worry.......only ones anti voucher are those afraid of better competition and they should be......and if your wife is bringing in a paycheck to your house that you are afraid of losing then she definitely has an influence. There are very few against free choice in education that aren't involved to some extent in public schools funded by taxpayers to an outrageous extent. If there are less students then district needs less staff, teachers and administrators, and less expenses except we know that the districts care more about butts in the seats than anything else......if your wife's district is different then she is getting lumped in with the others and that's just the way it rolls. Ours is 3A and they **** off money left and right.....

Comment

My wife isnt a teacher any more. She is a Principal and our district is doing great things so no worries here with her job.

I think we can all agree that there is no room for bureaucracy in our piblic education system. But…they are neck deep in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
                              At the end of the day, a vast majority wont send their kids to another district out of laziness. So, again, only benefit is to private schools.
                              Let’s say that your child doesn’t learn anything in the craphole school with crap kids influencing your child and it might harm him/her in later life, if not immediately.

Now let’s say that your tax money follows your child to a private school where a great education is received and in a much safer environment and influence.

The only benefit is to the private school?

Comment

Working...
                              X