Alistair Begg controversy over wedding advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alistair Begg controversy over wedding advice

I know some of you all listen to his preaching…was wondering what you thought about the fallout lately on his advice over attending a trans wedding?

I listened to the guys on AFR give their side of why his show was booted from their network over this. They gave him a chance to amend his statement, he doubled down. If I remember correctly (possibly not) the buying of gifts in a show of support of the union was also an issue.

Right or wrong, the people running the programming on AFR felt this topic was non negotiable.

On the political side, this smells of quit being nice and going along to get along. Reminds me of Aaron Tippen’s- “ you’ve got to stand for something “.

P.s..- Love me some AFR , even more so now that Rush is gone.

Comment

I don't go to any weddings so no issues here. LOL!

Comment

Alistar is spot on. I am fairly certain God would not approve of me attending a transfreak wedding.

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
          Alistar is spot on. I am fairly certain God would not approve of me attending a transfreak wedding.
          He was in support of attending.

Comment

Marriage is a legal contract. Holy Matrimony is different

Comment

Not sure what he said or his stance on the subject but there aint no way in hail I will ever attend one.

Comment

I saw it on YouTube but did not watch it. And yes I’ve listened to him before and he sounded Biblically based. As far as attending a trans wedding or homo wedding, not gonna happen.
                I refuse to hate these folks though. I hAte what they stand for and will not support them in any way shape or form.

Comment

Part of the reason conservative evangelicals have so little credibility with 'sinners' (whatever particular sin is involved) is because those 'sinners' feel (usually rightly) judged by the conservative evangelicals. Only by loving them do we gain an audience with them to (hopefully) have some kind of impact on them and their lifestyle (whatever that is). Pastor Begg said:“Your love for them may catch them off guard, but your absence will simply reinforce the fact that they said, ‘These people are what I always thought: judgmental, critical, unprepared to countenance anything,’” the evangelical pastor said. He added that Christians would have to take risks in order to show love to those around them.
                  Attending a loved one's wedding is NOT approving or endorsing it.
                  It always frustrates me how this particular type of sin is seen as so much worse than others. I was faced with a similar situation recently when my cousin was getting married to the man she had been living with and had a baby with. Their cohabitation sin was no better or worse than homosexual or LGBTQ sin. I attended because I love my cousin.
                  Now, it would be different if I was asked to officiate - that would be a hard 'no'.

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
                    Part of the reason conservative evangelicals have so little credibility with 'sinners' (whatever particular sin is involved) is because those 'sinners' feel (usually rightly) judged by the conservative evangelicals. Only by loving them do we gain an audience with them to (hopefully) have some kind of impact on them and their lifestyle (whatever that is). Pastor Begg said:“Your love for them may catch them off guard, but your absence will simply reinforce the fact that they said, ‘These people are what I always thought: judgmental, critical, unprepared to countenance anything,’” the evangelical pastor said. He added that Christians would have to take risks in order to show love to those around them.
                    Attending a loved one's wedding is NOT approving or endorsing it.
                    It always frustrates me how this particular type of sin is seen as so much worse than others. I was faced with a similar situation recently when my cousin was getting married to the man she had been living with and had a baby with. Their cohabitation sin was no better or worse than homosexual or LGBTQ sin. I attended because I love my cousin.
                    Now, it would be different if I was asked to officiate - that would be a hard 'no'
                    I’ve always been bothered by the hypocrisy of ministers and believers alike when it comes to man and woman cohabitation or just promiscuity, that somehow the marriage ceremony “flips a switch” and instantly there is no more sin. The sin still existed and it’s unrepentant, pleasure of the flesh was prioritized over pleasure of the spirit and they carry that into their marriage. And the body just sorta goes along with it.

i disagree with you, though, that attending a wedding is not endorsing or approving of it. I believe that is exactly what it is. I can’t think of a wedding I’ve been to where there was not a call for any objections to be voiced. In modern society it’s almost a mechanical function that is glossed over and never really given a 2nd thought, but it’s literal function is that by attending and sitting in silence you are in fact giving your blessing to the union.

Comment

I'll take "Things I could not care less about for $100 Alex"

Comment

I thought the incident in question happened several months ago. I too listened to what AFR folks said. I was under the impression that they really liked Beggs but when he advised that old lady "as long as they know your convictions, go to the wedding and bring a gift". Talk about confusing. AFR stands strongly against sexual perversion. They asked him to reconsider his advice but he refused. The way AFR saw it, Beggs was leading people straight into the hand basket to H E double L

Comment

I won't attend a wedding that I believe is not a marriage ordained by God.

The way I've always understood it is that the attendants of a wedding are there to give and pledge their support to the couple. I support a couple who are married by holding them to the biblical principals of marriage and by attending their wedding I am showing my intention to support them in that way. By my belief, A same sex marriage is not ordained by God, is not based on scripture, and therefore not subject to any support I can offer. It has nothing to do with hate or my personal feelings. I simply have no support to offer them. The only support I could offer would be to recommend they not get married at all. By not attending, I show my respect for their choice.

Comment

We never hosted a trans wedding but have had 3 same sex weddings at our venue, all females. I've told people they can marry a goat here if paying me and if they don't have one I will go find them a pretty one..........I don't understand it but I'm also not one that can stand in judgement and all 3 of those weddings were some of the easiest and smoothest we have had and they were appreciative, one was biracial so I've punched a couple not bigoted holes in my card.......one of the couples posted on a wedding group site for venues and my wife was the only one that answered them. Local bakery didn't have an issue either and made a Rainbow Unicorn cake, it's really a thing and it wasn't cheap. If it's legal we will host it, except Quincenera's that's a whole other ball game..........irrelevant since we are selling out and retiring

Comment

Working...
                            X