Eli Lilly to buy Versanis for weight loss drugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eli Lilly to buy Versanis for weight loss drugs

In my mind this cannot be good. Quoting Reuters, "Analyst expect the market for weight loss drugs to reach 100 billion within the decade". I will be the first to admit I am unqualified to speak to this but it feels like a market set to be abused. Addict them to happy meals when they are young, then addict them to Wegovy or some other weight loss drug when they are older.

I saw something recently when i was looking at those stocks that said most on wegovy only stay on it one year.

BTW I recently started wegovy. I'm far enough along that I don't have to worry about their supply issues. Mine is from brisket not happy meals... cant think of last time I've had mcd's but eat bbq probably 3-5 times a week. I've lost 25# already. Still eat same foods just smaller portions. Have 50# to go.

Comment

There are exceptions, but for the majority it’s fixable with real food and exercise instead of drugs. Im seeing that being talked about more, but far from enough.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
        I saw something recently when i was looking at those stocks that said most on wegovy only stay on it one year.

BTW I recently started wegovy. I'm far enough along that I don't have to worry about their supply issues. Mine is from brisket not happy meals... cant think of last time I've had mcd's but eat bbq probably 3-5 times a week. I've lost 25# already. Still eat same foods just smaller portions. Have 50# to go.
        I honestly hope it works out for you and the others who use it as I hope that my worry is unfounded.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanoDano View Post

I honestly hope it works out for you and the others who use it as I hope that my worry is unfounded.
          So far it's working and has been worth it. Before, i could eat over a pound of bbq and not feel full and be ready to eat again in an hour. Now I eat about a 1/3 pound and I'm stuffed for a long time. Definitely helping with portion control and no snacking between meals.

to me it's like smokers using the patch. It has prevent the cravings.

Comment

Plano, read/listen to Peter Attia's Outlive. He breaks down how what you are worried about is already happening, and been happening, since the 2000s in some form. Basically, drs should be telling patients to clean up the diet and exercising BEFORE an issue happens, If you have been to a dr, you know that is not our system.

This diet drugs come and go. The last go round, I read that the warning label told folks to wear dark pants in the event they had a "leakage", which was common LOL

Comment

The bad with these drugs outweigh the good. Carriers are declining to write E&O policies for doctors and PA's who want to write scripts for them to target weight loss. IF that doesnt tell you something i do not know what will.

Weight loss is hard for some and I have people in my family that fight it. It takes lots of discipline and sacrifice

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
                The bad with these drugs outweigh the good. Carriers are declining to write E&O policies for doctors and PA's who want to write scripts for them to target weight loss. IF that doesnt tell you something i do not know what will.

Weight loss is hard for some and I have people in my family that fight it. It takes lots of discipline and sacrifice
                Haven't heard any concerns getting Dr's to write scripts or even insurance to approve it. It is very expensive and only insurance concerns I've heard is that it's elective and they won't cover it for that reason. They group it with cosmetic elective procedures like lipo and boob jobs. Without insurance it's over 1300/month.

The only problem right now with Wegovy is they can't produce it fast enough. They slowed production of the lower doses so they ensure delivery for the full does (1.7mg and 2.4 mg). They said they would have loser dosages back to full production in September.

just like breaking other addictions like smoking, sometimes you need help. In my case, I now feel full after small meals. I never felt full after even large meals. I'm so full right now that I'm not drinking enough water during the day and cramp up everytime I exercise or do anything strenuous. Still need to eat less to leave room for water.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                  Plano, read/listen to Peter Attia's Outlive. He breaks down how what you are worried about is already happening, and been happening, since the 2000s in some form. Basically, drs should be telling patients to clean up the diet and exercising BEFORE an issue happens, If you have been to a dr, you know that is not our system.

This diet drugs come and go. The last go round, I read that the warning label told folks to wear dark pants in the event they had a "leakage", which was common LOL
                  I have already read the book but that did not spur me to create this thread. It was the amount of money that these drugs will generate could get in the way of responsible research and prescribing. I do not know if it is true but on one news feed they wrote that the drugs are in short supply and not available in large part due to middle class people seeking to go from a size 8 to a size 4.

The reference to happy meals was a metaphor for the addictiveness of products marketed to us and our children.Now I am sure that Macdonalds does not put an addictive substance in the happy meals but I know the kids know exactly what toys should come in that bag.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanoDano View Post

I have already read the book but that did not spur me to create this thread. It was the amount of money that these drugs will generate could get in the way of responsible research and prescribing. I do not know if it is true but on one news feed they wrote that the drugs are in short supply and not available in large part due to middle class people seeking to go from a size 8 to a size 4.

The reference to happy meals was a metaphor for the addictiveness of products marketed to us and our children.Now I am sure that Macdonalds does not put an addictive substance in the happy meals but I know the kids know exactly what toys should come in that bag.
                    Yea wegovy manufacturer has decided to slow down production of their lower doses (.25, .5, 1mg) to ensure delivery of their higher doses (1.7 and 2.4mg). You step up for one month so it takes 4 months to get to full strength as your body gets used to eating less and feeling full longer.

They said they would have additional capacity on board in Sept and will ramp up the lower doses again.

Comment

30 percent of the weight lost is bone and soft tissue**. Fair warning. These drugs are type 2 diabetes drugs and the weight loss was a side effect so now they also rx it for that. Type 2 diabetes is completely controllable by diet as is obesity except in extremely rare scenarios.

Breaking Points put together a short mini documentary on all this. The Obesity Industrial Complex. Its worth the 15 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post

Haven't heard any concerns getting Dr's to write scripts or even insurance to approve it. It is very expensive and only insurance concerns I've heard is that it's elective and they won't cover it for that reason. They group it with cosmetic elective procedures like lipo and boob jobs. Without insurance it's over 1300/month.

The only problem right now with Wegovy is they can't produce it fast enough. They slowed production of the lower doses so they ensure delivery for the full does (1.7mg and 2.4 mg). They said they would have loser dosages back to full production in September.

just like breaking other addictions like smoking, sometimes you need help. In my case, I now feel full after small meals. I never felt full after even large meals. I'm so full right now that I'm not drinking enough water during the day and cramp up everytime I exercise or do anything strenuous. Still need to eat less to leave room for water.
                        I am not talking about health ins covering the cost of the meds, i am talking about the coverage if a Dr i sued for complications from a person taking a medicine that was prescribed for something other than its intended use. I do hope you can beat obesity and understand the struggles trying to beat an addiction. Intermittent fasting and drinking nothing but water and coffee will make a huge difference, but the first week or 2 are horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Aetheling View Post
                          30 percent of the weight lost is bone and soft tissue**. Fair warning. These drugs are type 2 diabetes drugs and the weight loss was a side effect so now they also rx it for that. Type 2 diabetes is completely controllable by diet as is obesity except in extremely rare scenarios.

Breaking Points put together a short mini documentary on all this. The Obesity Industrial Complex. Its worth the 15 minutes.

https://youtu.be/GEU7qTWIkNc
                          No. It's always someone else fault. You touch on an interesting point, that it's a diabetes drug. While maybe not the drug you are referencing, several Type I diabetes drugs are being prescribed off label for weight loss, and leading to a scarcity of the drug needed for diabetics because Dr's are making more money in off label prescriptions than if they prescribe it for its intended purpose.

Comment

Working...
                          X