3rd Party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd Party

With the 2 party political system and the Libertarian Party really not holding a platform I would welcome a “moderate party” that challenges both sides. I think shaking up “party lines” needs to happen for the good of this country. Will it happen during this 2024 election cycle? With both sides in the current position I would think this would be prime time for it.

Are you hearing someone proposing this?

Comment

It was in Reuters. “No Label” or several other names. It is apparently “centrists”. I figure folks like Manchin- Gabbard- etc /. It is reported both Republican and Democrats have expressed interests. Get some big donors (Musk - Zuckerberg- etc) and it could turn into something. Who knows. Maybe it’s just a stir the pot news piece

Comment

This was tried in 2020 by the Weinstein bros and the social media networks banned their accounts and they got nowhere. I liked their idea but the idea of Andrew Yang in the whitehouse terrifies me economically speaking.

I’d like to see them try again though.

The proposal calls for the American public to draft two candidates to lead the executive branch: one from the center-left, the other from the center-right.

Comment

The No Labels party actually could gain some traction with the right candidates. I don’t think they could win the next election but they could impact it enough to at least get a foothold to build off of moving forward.

Comment

Ross Perot says “hey”.

Comment

I don't feel I need to move to the center. I am pretty middle of the road, the problem is, the road has been moved so far to the left of me, it appears I am standing on the right hand shoulder.

Comment

The idea or hope of a third party as it stands today is wishful thinking.

The first problem is, there is no third party. There are many “other than Democrat or Republican” parties. The “third party” is made up of several groups of mostly hot button issue people. An example (and I don’t feel like wasting time on Google researching) is Ralph Nader and his (I think) Green Party who were absolutely concerned about environmental and safety issues. It is not because he is wrong or does not have some valid points. How much of the public is ready to sign on to a group whose main concern is not foreign affairs, abortions rights, gun rights and the Second Amendment, economy, etc.? It is such a narrowly focused group, in my opinion it doesn’t and won’t attract a huge following. There are many such groups. The closest thing probably to an actual third-part but with a very small following is the Libertarian Party.

So now along comes this new third party with the suggested names of a neutral or centrist or moderate or whatever.

It sounds like a nondenominational church. That’s not necessarily a bad thing but that isn’t the issue.

For a true third-party to emerge as powerful, first there would have to be an actual party that gets at least a substantial percentage of the public behind it. As it stands today, that does not exist and does not appear that it will exist.

Let’s forget about that, however and assume that it could be done. Let’s say this new Nondenominational Party is siphoning off substantial votes. It could happen and Ross Perot was given as an example. All a new Ross Perot or Ron Paul could give you is the victory to the Democrats or Republicans and with it likely to be the Democrats.

The fly in the buttermilk is the Constitution. There simply is no way an upstart party is going to get 271 electoral college votes.

This isn’t your city or statewide elections. Those would go to a runoff. That is always the hope of third party candidates in those elections.

“Maybe I can get enough votes to force a runoff. Then it’s a one on one, the head to head match! I can win this thing!!”

Awesome!!!

But you cannot do that in the presidential election. There is no runoff or a runoff in front of the voters.

The runoff in the presidential election is in front of the House of Representatives who can pick anyone after (I think) the first vote if there is no winner.

So who is the current Republican controlled House vote for? This new Nondenominational Party candidate?

There is a way of a third-party to become a major force, but it will not come in a single presidential election like might be suggested. If a viable third-party existed and started gaining traction, you would ned it starting at the city council, the school board, the county commissioners court, then the state senators and representatives and eventually US Congress members.

That definitely has a potential however, this so-called third-party is currently fractured into about 15 special interest groups.

Under the Constitution, it is virtually impossible for a third party to come out of nowhere and win the presidential election. After a couple of decaded or so of very hard work from like minded people, maybe. To think it could happen, for example, in the next election, then we had just as well believe in the Tooth Fairy.

In my opinion ….​

Comment

And you don't address that The R and D party have agreed to not allow third parties into debates. IIRC, Nader has to pay for his own air time. And after Nader, the two parties made it even harder to run as 3rd party.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                    And you don't address that The R and D party have agreed to not allow third parties into debates. IIRC, Nader has to pay for his own air time. And after Nader, the two parties made it even harder to run as 3rd party.
                    I didn’t address it because at this point within the rules (Constitution), it is meaningless.

The tie breaker if the sitting House.

Do you really believe that in November 2024, this yet not even created third party will get at least 271 EC votes?

In 2028?

A strong third party at this time will accomplish something. It will allow Joe Biden to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post

I didn’t address it because at this point within the rules (Constitution), it is meaningless.

The tie breaker if the sitting House.

Do you really believe that in November 2024, this yet not even created third party will get at least 271 EC votes?

In 2028?

A strong third party at this time will accomplish something. It will allow Joe Biden to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
                      Oh yeah, I agree. Just pointing out, not only if someone could do all the things you list, then get a following (Trump arguably has 25% of the vote at all times, and the only person in recent history that could pull that many votes), they still have a HUGE uphill battle, even IF they had 50% of the general public behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                        Ross Perot says “hey”.
                        and got Clinton elected doing so........problem is to many people vote Democrat and don't even know why and likely always will.....

Comment

I wish there was a viable 3rd party but the system is to set in stone and corrupt to change

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post

and got Clinton elected doing so........problem is to many people vote Democrat and don't even know why and likely always will.....
                            Yup! 3rd party Perot is what gave us the Clinton machine that we are still suffering from. Mainly it installed the 2 tier justice system that is killing this country now.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                              I wish there was a viable 3rd party but the system is to set in stone and corrupt to change
                              Certainly, if you call the Constitution corrupt.

The EC and tie breaker is the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X