7ft Gator Gar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7ft Gator Gar

It’s taken me awhile to get pictures on here, but I finally got them. On Good Friday a few of my friends and I went bow fishing on the Colorado River and within the first 15 minutes we had come across a few big gator gars just sitting in the shallows. We were driving down stream when the first one was spotted and one of my buddies took a shot, but missed. When we came up on the second gar two of us counted to 3 and shot, but the scales were so thick that the arrows just bounced off. After getting our arrows back in the boat two other gar were spotted on the other side of the boat. Since I was driving I didn’t have the best of view up front, but while everyone else was trying to take a shot at the other two gar that were just spotted I noticed what looked like a tree laying under the water on the opposite side of the boat. I was determined to get one of big gar, so I hopped off the boat and waded a little closer hoping that I could penetrate the scales a little better. I was about 5ft away when I shot and before I could tell if my arrow penetrated all my string had been sucked out of my reel and I had to hold on tight to my bow. Luckily, when the gar swam buy the boat one of my buddies put another arrow in the gar. I was so excited that I grabbed my other buddies bow from him and followed the string until I found the gar again and this time the third shot slowed the gar down enough that I able to jump on it and bring it to the bank. I had always wanted to just see a big gator gar while bow fishing and that night I was fortunate enough to see 5 big gator gar and with a group effort we were able to pull one into the boat. The gar we ended up getting wasn’t the fattest gar, but it was the longest gar of out of the group. The gar measured 7ft long and weighed 177.5 lbs. When I tried to skin it out the following day the scales were so thick that I had to use my dad’s chain saw to cut the scales. Once I cut through the tough hide I was done skinning the whole gar in 10 minutes and ended up with 35 lbs of meat. The interesting thing I saw when I was cleaning it was she had eggs starting inside her head going all the way down to her tail. The alligator gar is defiantly a unique fish in my books.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gar1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	24763993

Click image for larger version

Name:	gar2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	24763994

Sweet gar!

Comment

very nice, congrats

Comment

Thats a monster

Comment

MAN how many of you did it take to get in the boat and how long lol

Comment

AWESOME! Congrats!

Comment

Very nice!! Congrats!

Comment

Congratulations on the trophy. That is very close to the size of my best one. I shot a 7' 4.5" gator gar about 15 years ago in Lake Sam Rayburn. What area of the Colorado did you shoot it?

Comment

Awesome!! I want one bad!!!!!!!! Congrats

Comment

Congrats on that giant. Bowfishing for those gar is a blast!

Bisch

Comment

awesome

Comment

Nice Gar, but it was a blast.

Comment

Im from Louisiana and have ssen guys catch monster gars even saw a guy catch a 6 footer in a casting net, but that is the biggest gar I've seen. And to do it with a bow NICE catch!!!!

Comment

Awesome gar!!! Congrats!

Comment

and ended up with 35 lbs of meat

Your gonna eat that big nasty thing lol

Comment

Working...
                              X