Doe down in Blanco county.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doe down in Blanco county.........

Everytime I have been in the blind there has been this one particular doe that is so jumpy she never really stays to eat. She seemed happier hanging back in the brush snorting and stomping and just generally jacking with my hunting. Well with the cool weather I hit the stand about an hour before sunrise and hand corned an area to the right of my feeder. 10-15 minutes before it was light enough to see there was a buck feeding on my hand corn, but I couldn't tell anything about him other than he had horns. And wouldn't you know it, he leaves right as the sun starts coming up not to be seen again on this morning. Not 2-3 minutes after he walked off I hear deer moving through the brush to my left and out walks 2 does and 3 yearlings. My goal this whole season is to put an arrow in the boiler maker of the doe that I mentioned above, so I left my bow on its hanger. At 7:05am the feeder went off and out comes 5 more deer. This time it was 3 does and 2 nubbing bucks, one of which happened to be this particular doe. She is easy to identify, because she has a white patch from her chin to her belly. It is a very cool looking throat patch, which I have never seen the likes of before on a deer.......Well as usual all she can do is stare at my pop up and act like she is spooked by something. Well she runs off from the feeder scared by who knows what this time and all other 9 deer just continue to feed. Well she comes back out of the woods on the right side of my blind and starts eating my hand thrown corn.....I grab my bow, knock my arrow, and wait for my opportunity for her to turn broadside.......She finally turns broadside and I quickly draw my bow back, settle my 20 yard pin low and just behind the shoulder, and hit the release. The arrow hit with a load thwack and she took off with half the arrow sticking out of her. Since I wasn't 100% on my shot placement I waited an hour before I started tracking her. There was no blood at the site of impact, but I found a small spatter about 5 yards away. It was slow going the first 20 yards and then the I started finding blood a blind man could follow......After tracking another 30 yards I found her laying there with the arrow sticking out of her right in the boiler maker. I hit her elbow on initial impact and the slick trick drove straight on through and pentrated the other side. Needless to say I am still impressed with the slick tricks..........

congrats!

Comment

Way to go Will! Are you sure you didn't shoot her last night after i met you in Johnson City? Looks like your wearing the same clothes.

Comment

That's a big-looking doe! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspro View Post
          Way to go Will! Are you sure you didn't shoot her last night after i met you in Johnson City? Looks like your wearing the same clothes.
          Just threw on the same pants and shirt this morning since I knew I was gonna get them bloody.......

Comment

Congratulations! She does look heavy, should make for some fine eatin' in about a week...

Todd

Comment

Congrats on getting the guard doe out of the herd.

Comment

Congratulations on the nice doe. Slick Tricks get the job done!

Comment

Congratulations, Will!

Comment

Congrats, Will! Way to go!
                    Jeff Young

Comment

Congrats on the backstraps!

Comment

This has been a long time coming! Congrats on the meat!

Comment

Congratulations Will!

Comment

Congrats on getting that ol girl on the butcher block

Comment

Nice doe, Will!

Comment

Working...
                              X