I Don't "suck" After All!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Don't "suck" After All!!!!

Those of you who know me well have heard me say over and over again that I "suck" at bowhunting!!! Well, I do but I try anyway. My claim to fame is fishing. I would rather fish than hunt any day but catch and release doesn't fill the freezer.

Over the Christmas holidays, I had a few days to spend with my dad on his ranch in Mason County. It was only my second chance to hunt all year and I wanted to take at least 3 does. Unfortunately, I had an uncontrolable cough from being ill for at least 2 weeks prior. I had four hunts to take 3 deer and it wasn't going to be easy.

Hunt #1 - 10 deer at 15 yards, breathing good until I decide to shoot. COUGH!!! COUGH!!! Deer laugh and run for the hills. 15 minutes later, deer come back, heavy breathing begins, COUGH!!! GAG!!! Deer run down the hill this time as they are tired from running and laughing.

Hunt #2 - See Hunt #1.

Hunt #3 - This time I take a rifle and my bow in the blind as I am falling further behind on my goal of 3 deer. Feeling somewhat tipsy from all the cough medicine, I settle into my chair. It's 3:44 pm and I hear what must be the short bus for deer pull up at the feeder. 2 does feeding happily and unsuspecting into bow range. I begin to breathe heavy and suspect more coughing. My sight-pin settles behind the shoulder.........no coughing...... and a good release.......I have 1 deer down!!!! It's only 4:00. I have plenty of time for more action. WRONG!!!!!!!!! The doe left such a heavy blood trail that the deer avoided the area for the rest of the hunt. I should have moved to my other stand down the hill. DUH!!! "I suck"!!!

Hunt #4 - Again with rifle in one hand and bow in the other I trudge up the hill. The weather is perfect..........for more failure!!! I can hear deer snickering as I settle into my seat. I think of the Bambi story and hope he steps out so that I can double lung that little b*%#@. Suddenly, there are shadows and lots of corn crunching. I am almost certain that I can see Bambi but it is too dark for the shot. Patiently, I wait until...........COUGH!!! GAG!!!! PHLEM!!!! SNOT!!! The last thing I saw was Bambi and his mother in serious conversation about stepping into the meadow without her permission.

So, you might ask, "why not use the smoke-pole"? Because even though I "suck" at bowhunting, there is still no greater thrill for me than being that close to frickin' Bambi and his smartalic friends.

Entrance to dads!!

Dad's house!

Always a good sign!

Bambi's cousin Lulu! HA!!!
    Last edited by Keith; 01-20-2007, 07:18 PM.

Congrats, Jeff!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	big 8.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	24720073

Comment

Congrats, great play by play.

Comment

COngratulations on the doe Jeff. Way to persevere in spite of the odds.

Comment

Nice smackdown and funny play-by-play. Congrats!
          Last edited by Keith; 01-20-2007, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Congrats on the doe.

Comment

awesome thanks for the funny we need more like this one. Thats the way to hang in there.

Comment

Great job, Jeff. Congratulations!
                Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Great post and congratulations on the kill! (btw...i still think you suck)!!
                  Last edited by Keith; 01-20-2007, 07:20 PM.
                  Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

That's a dang nice doe Jeff! You didn't get skunked.

Comment

Way to Fire! Congrats on LULU.

Comment

Nice doe, Jeff!

Comment

That was the best write up I've read in a while. Thanks for the good laugh and congrats on your doe!

Comment

Way to go !!!

Comment

congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X