Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saskatchewan-Live Hunt

This is my first attempt at a live hunt so here goes:
    Last year i had to leave early when the bucks were starting to move well. A big buck smashed my decoy befrore I could even get my bow up. http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ad.php?t=56940
    So I am back and looking for revenge.

Day1: Monday: Along with me for the hunt is my buddy Mark. He is a gun hunter. We got in to Saskatoon Sunday night. After getting luggage and a three hour drive we were pretty beat. We decided to sleep late in the morning and go out early afternoon. The guide (Andy Milam of South Bay Outfitters) had a few scouting picks. One particularly good buck was coming in to a feeder he nicknamed Camp 10, but Andy and I both wanted to try for the same buck that smashed my decoy last year. We went to drop off Mark at his stand. As we were driving down the forest road Andy says "There's a chicken, want to shoot him?" The locals call Roughed Grouse chickens. Teddy Roosevelt writes in many of his writings about hunting roughed grouse and often had them for breakfast lunch and dinner. Being a big Roosevelt fan, I had to take a crack at the first one we saw As we approached, the bird flushed and flew and i thought we had lost him. But I spotted him about 35 yards away perched up on a poplar limb. So I grabbed the 410 and made my way into the bush. I popped him from about 25 yds--Grouse down. On the way to the blind we saw another which Mark shot...and then I got another while Andy was quadding mark into the stand. I have never been a bird hunter, but that was great fun!

Unfortunately, neither Mark nor I saw any deer at our stands. It rained on us pretty much all day and is unseaesonably warm .I did see a rub on the way in just about 200 yds from where I am set up.

Day2- I hunted the same blind from 6:30 until 12:30 , but no movement. Mark decided to stay out all day. Andy had put him in a different stand today. I went back out about 3PM and hunted until dark. On the way in there deer tracks in the 4 wheeler tracks from yesterday. Still no deer. We are hoping the cold front will come through sooner. It still seems pretty warm.

One cool thing did happen. Back at camp, I got a shot with my bow at a grouse from about 20 yds. I clipped his left feathers and he flew off. Maybe next time.

Had any luck yet?

Comment

Well? How is the weather? Any luck seeing deer? Who is filling cavities while you are out playing????? Good luck!

Comment

Working...
      X