How did you do this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you do this season?

Well the general hunting season is almost closed and I would like to know how y'all did this hunting season. (Eventhough I will be going 1 more time but I don't think anything will change).
    Unfortunately it was not what we had anticipated. I was able to harvest a 2 1/2 yr old spike and a hog. We had anticipated seeing better deer than that.

We got on a lease this year that is south of Alice, Tx. but the deer were few and far between, the only deer we would see on a regular basis were 3-5 does and a couple of spikes. There were 10 hunters on the lease and 4 of those were also bowhunting. (I was the only one that exclusively bowhunted from Oct.-Jan., Ijust enjoy bowhunting to much to hunt any other way).The deer harvested were 2 spikes, 1 decent 8 pointer and 1 small 8 pointer.
    This ranch had not been hunted in years and we could tell that because the "senderos" or roads were overgrown with brush and there wasn't any trash or pieces of paper lying around that would be tell tale signs of others being there recently.Anyway we had high hopes because of the ranch not being hunted and that we each paid $1,500.00 to get on the lease. Most of us want to get off the lease because of such poor sightings and reports.
    BUT In general most of the people that I have talked to have said that this year was a particularly bad year for them.
    What do you think? Did we just have a bad year or a bad lease?
    Please share your harvest or sightings for this year.

Tagged out......

Mason County.

This was the best I did this year, down from years past due to drought on our place.

Comment

i hunt with my wife and two others on a small lease just south of killeen. there wasn't much activity. i believe the warm weather and moon lit nights didn't help very much. all we would see were a good bit of does. Only one shootable buck was seen all year(we have restrictions in that county where it has to have a slick horn or a 13in. spread). We only harvested 2 does. It just wasn't that good of a season in my opinion. We will stick it out and see what happens.

Comment

I do think the weather played a role in this and the drought, but we saw a lot of deer and some nice bucks on trail cameras but nothing shot. So if you did not even have any sightings then someone may have shot out that ranch or there is nothing there to hold the deer.

Comment

After a dismal season, as far as shooters seen while hunting, I went and bought a trail cam.Glad I did. I am relieved in a sense that the deer just went nocturnal on me, according to the trail cam. All of the bucks that I was hunting made it and including the youngsters that I wanted to live. I have a lot to look forward to next season. I even have a couple of deer that showed up on cam that I have never seen before. I was able to put plenty of does on ice and may give it another go to tomorrow. I need some Jerky!

Comment

I was a better than average year for me:

3 does
            1 4-horn ram
            2 Hogs

Comment

1-buck
              1-doe

Comment

I'm still hunting mason county,here is my best buck this year
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Somebody said more jalapenos.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	23818948

Comment

2 doe
                  2 bucks
                  1 fox
                  lost one doe

Comment

We killed 7 does and 4 bucks. Only 2 of the buck should have been shot in my opinion. I shot 2 of the does. My son shot 1 doe and 1 of the bucks. We both shot our deer with bows. I didn't see the usual number of good buck, but I did see a monster for our place on the last Saturday of the season. I am sure he was at least a 150 class buck. We have never shot a buck bigger than 131. Seen alot of 2.5 and 3.5 bucks. Next year should be good if we get some rain around here.

Comment

1- Axis Buck
                      2 Does
                      1- Spike
                      5- Squirrels
                      1- Rabbit

Comment

1 javelina
                        3 pigs so far
                        1 slickhead
                        1 nutria lol

Lots of activity, saw tons of game, lease rules of taking a doe before a buck hindered my buck hunting but had a fun season nontheless!

Comment

I didn't arrow any great big bucks but I had a great season. I made great shots on every attempt...no misses, no wounded game. I stuck a hog and filled my deer tags and I killed what might be the oldest buck I've ever shot.

Comment

I didn't get to hunt as much this year as in years past, but it was a great season. I killed a hog on opening weekend of bow season and then royally screwed up two shot opportunities at a rather large management 4 point. I ended the season with a double on does in the Hill Country. It was a fun season, but I still don't know how I did not seal the deal on the buck. I guess that is why it is hunting and not killing.

Comment

Slow year deer wise. One doe with a bow, one with a rifle. My son got a spike with a rifle and I got my 2 Audad with a rifle, but I guess technically that is this year. I spent most of my time this past year in a duck blind. A lot more than usual, but it was a lot of fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X