Friday Double!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Double!

Took a last minute chance to grab an unplanned hunt yesterday afternoon. Threw out a little hand corn and settled in. Right after 7 does/fawns came in. One of the full grown does was all gimped up. I had seen her before, she didn't look hurt, but wouldn't put her left hind hoof on the ground. She got about 22 yds away, and I took the shoot.

They all scattered. I heard the one I shot go down. The other deer stopped about 50 yds away. Couple minutes later, some of the fawns came back in. They were a little jumpy, but still hadn't figured out someone was missing. After 10 minutes or so, the full grown does started to come back. One settled in about 30 yds out, and I took the shot. It didn't look too good. I thought it was a little back, and low. Doe took off at a dead run, tail down, and a little hunched up. I was not feeling good about it

I waited another 30 minutes (dark now) and got to tracking doe #1. Found her piled up about 50 yds away, double lung, low and tight to the elbow. Got her cleaned up waited another 30 minutes and started to look for #2. Never found the arrow, never found any blood. I walked along the trail she took, hoping at best that I had made a liver shot, and would find her within a few hundred yards. Nothing.

On the way back to my gear and the first doe, I saw her piled up. I had walked right past her. Shot turned out to be just fine. She went all matrix on me, laid over almost sideways at the shot. The entry wound was less then 2" off the center line of the chest, exit high on the off side, got both lungs. The entry wound had plugged up with a chunk of something. There was blood all around her, but most had come from the mouth and nose, and some from the holes after she dropped.

Didn't get to bed until 11:30. I can't remember the last time I was up that late! Great day for an unplanned, last minute hunt, and #s 3 and 4 for the freezer.

Sorry to those offended by tailgate LDPs. It was late, the wife was grumpy, and it was that or nothing. No way she was going to let my bloody mitts on her camera.

And now, just as I finish this, I realize I posted it in the wrong forum.
    Attached Files

Congrats.....

Comment

congrats on the does.....

Comment

Congrats. I had the same kind of hunt yesterday. Except with some porkys.
        Nothing like a last minute hunt to get ya fired up for the weekend.

Comment

Congrats, Jon. Your on a roll.

Sounds like a great hunt

Comment

congrats good shooting

Comment

Taking apart the gimped up doe, there was nothing wrong with that leg. The left backstrap, however, had been cut almost in half at some point and was all scarred up. The pointy bone that comes up vertically from the spine was gone, and there was a big scar there, too. Looked to me like she survived a bad hit with an arrow last season.

Comment

Congrats on the does!

Comment

congrats!! Thats cool!

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Nice double. congrats.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Sounds like someone's got some eatin' to do. Nice work Jon!

Comment

Working...
                              X