Knocked Him Off His Feet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knocked Him Off His Feet!

After watching the slow travel of this buck to the feeder yesterday, I noticed not only did he have a really bad limp, but he also has a disfunctional jaw and goofy looking lower lip.

It took him right at an hour to come about 200 yrds to the feeder from where I first spotted him. Every so often, he'd have to stop and rest so he could make it a little further. I figured he must have been hit by a car due to the hard time he was having getting around.

His lower jaw was pretty banged up, making it hard for him to eat. I have to give him credit though, he stood under the feeder for better than 45 minutes trying to eat corn and occasionally browsing on weeds/foilage around the feeder area. I studied him patiently and decided that if he ever gave me the opportunity, I'd go ahead and take him.

He finally gave me that last little turn that I needed for a good broadside shot, so I came to full draw and started squeezing the trigger on my release. Without delay, the arrow zipped through the whisker biscuit and quickly closed the distance........fwipppp.....right over his back! I could not believe I shot over him!

And as you would expect, he took off from under the feeder. What really amazed me, was that he whirled around only 15yrds away from the feeder and started to come back. When he whirled around, he almost fell on his face due to the weak shoulder/leg.

He stopped about 5yrds from the feeder and just looked around for whatever it was that scared him so bad. As he stood there, I saw an opening that I figured I could sneak an arrow through, making it only a 15yrd shot.....so I loaded up for try #2.

The Rage-tipped arrow found its mark w/a hard "THWACK!!" and knocked him off of his feet. He flopped over onto his other side and snapped my arrow and took the a few last breaths of air, and then he was done. The Rage 2blade cut through two ribs, and lodged into the opposite ribs. This is the only deer that I haven't gotten a complete pass through w/the Rage bheads.

This is the first time I have ever knocked a deer down like that and it not be a spine shot. I must say that I like that kind of tracking job......not much effort. Took a few minutes to take some self photos (gotta have the LDP's) and then drug him off to start the task of gutting.

I think if I had not taken him, he would not have made it very much longer and probably would have been an easy meal for a coyote or two. So chalk up one tag for the gone column. He's not a bad looking buck, but if he hadn't been crippled up, he would have gotten a pass for next year. At any rate, I'm happy with him and I'm on the board.

Hmmmmmm......where to go next.......might have to give the B-n-Law a visit out in Coleman! LOL!

Greg
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9217.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	24743022

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9218.JPG
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	24743023Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9206.JPG
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	24743024

Look at the rage damage!!!! Thats what I'm talking about!!!

Comment

Those Are Some Funky Teeth!!!

Comment

Good job, congrats! He needed to be put out of his misery.

Comment

The damage to that deer's face is not fresh so he has had to be living like that for a while. Body looks like it is in pretty good shape.

Let us know what you find out when you cut him up

Comment

very nice ash........did you ever figure out what was wrong with his leg?

I am assuming the mouth was a birth defect?

Comment

he needs to be taking out just cause he has bad teeth!!

Comment

yeah, you don't want a deer with those dental genetics breeding your does!
                congrats!

Comment

The shoulder was pretty mashed up on the interior....probably result of being hit by a vehicle. The guy doing my processing said he's seen jaw damage like that from deer being stuck in a hog trap.

That's purely speculation though, no way of really knowing....I shot and asked the questions later....LOL!

Greg

Comment

Did he have Bubba teeth in?

Comment

Great Job.....love That Rage 2 Blade On Deer

Comment

Congrats! He must have been transplanted here from Arkansas.

Comment

Originally posted by tmag592 View Post
                          Congrats! He must have been transplanted here from Arkansas.

Thats just wrong........

Comment

Originally posted by easttxbowbender View Post
                            Thats just wrong........
                            Shouldn't you be doing some work out there?

Comment

Good job Greg.

Comment

Working...
                              X