Walter Buck public hunt doe with recurve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walter Buck public hunt doe with recurve

Got drawn for my favorite place to hunt besides our ranch, Walter Buck WMA outside Junction. I decided to take my vintage airstream on its first camping trip.
    First evening of the hunt found me sitting in a tripod at an area i knew would hold animals . Not more than 5 minutes after getting situated and i heard grunting coming over a small rise in front of me. Soon i had 6 footballs scrounging around eating protien 12 yards from me. As i picked one and began my draw i heard a deeper grunt and over the rise came a nice 150lb boar. As I waited for him to turn broadsied, the wind swirled on me, and they busted out. Just before dark i heard the sound of hoofs walking on rocks ( one of the finest sounds to hear in the hill country) . Soon i was looking at a nice 10 point less than 15 yards from me broadside. But as luck would have it this was a doe and spike hunt. Doh! So i watched him unti dark listening to the sounds of axis deer calling all around me.
    The next morning found me in the same tripod. Not long after first light I had a nice older doe feeding 10 yards from me. As I drew on her, she caught movement and busted me. An hour after she left another doe came in to the same shooting lane. As she turned broadside i drew my Sweptwing recurve, and let the arrow on its way. I aimed a little low thinking she would drop, but the 2 blade magnus hit her heart high. I watched her pile up in less than 10 seconds 30 yards away. Venison in the freezer.
    The rest of the time was spent trying to get close enough for a shot at an axis or hog ( no luck). But several other guys had good luck with two of them getting both an axis and a whitetail. Best part was only 6 guys showed up for the hunt, and no one came on standby. All in all a great hunt, and watching the wildlife in south Llano river state park is always a blast.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by samsdad; 10-21-2008, 06:31 PM.

congrats, they dont go far when you hit em there.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats great set up and also nice bucks.

Comment

Thanks, Yeah the axis buck was in an area we couldn;t hunt, and the 10 point was off limits

Comment

Congrats on the doe.

Comment

very nice, congrats

Comment

Congrats on the slick head.

Comment

Congrats, looks like a nice trip.

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats on the doe

Comment

Great pics and nice recap. Congrats on the doe.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

good looking doe. Love to get an Axis like that.

What area did you hunt?

Comment

Congrats!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsdad_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	23858457

Comment

Working...
                              X