First deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First deer

Last year I shot and hit my first buck, it was a management 8, but we were unable to find it. This past Saturday morning I was in the same exact ground blind as last year, and I was looking for redemption. As I am walking to the ground blind, I hear something spinning the corn thrower on the feeder. I opened the blind door, and did the mandatory check for snakes or other critters that may have moved in from the night. I get all my gear in place, and put the bow in the holder and sat and waited. The ground blind that I am in only has a window in front. Finally, day started to break, and I could make out the greyish blob hanging from the feeder. It was like something told it, but as soon as I had enough light to take a shot at it, the thing took off. So, now I am sitting again and waiting for something to come out to my feeder. About 10 minutes pass, and I hear multiple gun shots (my friend's place is on a MLD), we had 3 other friends hunting with guns. Finally, I hear something fairly close, and I see a young 8 pointer come out about 70 yards off my left, and right behind him was another young 8 pointer. They stayed only for a few seconds, and were gone. So, now I am waiting again, and I keep hearing sporadic gun fire, and all I have seen was the corn thief and the two bucks. Finally, there is enough light for me to grab my book and read some to help fight the nervous energy. Thirty mintues passes and I am fully engrossed in my book, and all of a sudden a spike passes 1 yard in front of my blind. I had orders to take spikes and does, and I had no doubt in my mind that this was one. I slowly put down the book as the spike moves to my left and about 13 yards in front of me. I grab an arrow and knock it while its on the bow holder, and I grab the bow and slowly moved into position to draw. The whole time the spike is either staring at the blind or at the ground. I drew back, settled the pin on the kill zone, and waited for him to turn for me. Finally after a few seconds he did just that, and I released. He jumped the string, and I ended up hitting high, and in the spine. He dropped in his tracks, and was unable to use his back legs. I could obviously see that he was sufferring, so I knocked another arrow, and finished the job. He weighed 55 pounds dressed.
    Attached Files

Good stuff! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats, those are some good looking hunting gloves

Comment

Good job.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

LOL- we had a very productive morning

Comment

Congrats on the spike.

Comment

Congrats on some great grubbin. I can taste and feel those back strap steaks melting in my mouth already.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats, way to hang in there.

Comment

Congrats on your first

Comment

Thank you to everybody, I can't wait to get back out!

Comment

very nice, congrats

Comment

Congrats on the 1_1 point!

Comment

Congrats! LOVE THOSE GLOVES!

Comment

Working...
                              X