Low Percentage Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Percentage Shot

Shot my first doe of the season at my Father-In-Law's in Shelby County (that's East Texas for you brush country guys) this weekend. I was in a ground blind that I had brushed in quite well. It was 7:25 am and I was trimming that last little stick (from the inside) that you always notice once you actually hunt your blind....that's when I first saw the doe and fawn coming in.

She was only 15 yards out and was not the least bit suspicious. I had to set down my Gerber pruning shears and made a quick grab for my bow. By this time she is in my main unobstructed shooting lane broadside at 17 yards! I start to draw but the arrow is not completely in the right spot (imagine that!)of my Hostage rest. I flick it in the right spot, make a slight sound and she eyes the blind.....then takes two steps quartering towards me behind a tree just milling around. When she steps into my next shooting lane broadside, I go far it and draw my bow. My mesh is up so she doesn't see but does hear me draw at 12 yards and steps so she is completely facing me at full draw.

I make my decision to shoot and make good on it as the arrow disappears up to the fletching between her shoulders at the base of her neck. She turns to run and falls twice inside of 15 yards before exiting my small food plot and I hear her crash within another 15 yards. The shot hits her jugular and she bleeds out before she can make it 30 yards.

After tagging her and skinning her, I am anxious to see what else the 100 grain Muzzy tore up. I check her liver - clean as a whistle, check her lungs - clean as a whistle, check her heart....well you get the picture. In fact the only thing i put holes in (outside of her jugular) were her stomach and her right ham....basically a gut shot!

Moral of the story, stick to what you know and pass the low percentage shots. Half inch either way and I likely miss her jugular and booger up a nice doe I likely wouldn't retrieve!

Good advise.......... I personally wouldn't have taken the shot in the first place. But since you did, glad it worked out.

Comment

I agree, glad it turned out good for you, could have went to other way. I shot a spike like that when I was 17, and I pushed it 200 yards, before it finally fell.

Comment

Working...
      X