My first turkey (public land bird)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first turkey (public land bird)

Well, I had been wanting to get in the woods early and of course I was running late this morning. It was light enough to go in without a flashlight. As me and Country Boy are walking in I say ...you know when things aren't going right that's usually when you shoot something. Well, I get in my stand and wait til 9:00 when deer were moving the weekend before and nothing...I'm thinking we aren't going to see anything. At 10:00 straight up I see something and look again. A turkey...wow... I Draw My bow and the first one gets to some corn I hand threw on the ground 20 yards away. I release the stinger 4 blade and the luminok lights up and passes thru the bird. It goes about 10 yards towards me and expires that quick. As soon as it stopped a hawk came from out of nowhere and landed next to it's head. I freak and start stomping on the bottom platform of my stand and the hawk fly's off. meanwhile, 31 more birds have come in and are all within 20 to 30 yards away while I'm stomping the stand and never spook. I even nocked another arrow. I could have shot another right after that first one but was hoping they would go on over to Country Boys stand. They started leaving the way they came from a few at a time so when the last one was about to leave I took a shot at it and missed.

The thing that makes this really special for me is that I was just telling Country Boy the other day that I have always wanted to take a turkey with a bow and from a climber and it happened today! I started out gun hunting and bought a bow to get in the woods earlier. I have shot bucks and a doe with muzzleloader and rifle but I can now say that my first buck, first doe, first hog and first turkey have all been on public land, from a climber and with a bow

Here's the pick (forgot to put my bow in pic)

Attached Files

Why you lucky dog > Congrats Kenny !

Comment

Congrats on the turkey!

Comment

Kenny!! Congrats bro.

Comment

congrats on a nice bird

Comment

Well done..Congratulations!
            Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Congrats on the bird.

Comment

Congratulations again Kenney couldnt happen to a nicer guy

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice turkey my buuddy and I drove past you and country boy as you were picking the feathers off of that bird.

Comment

Congrats on the turkey

Comment

Congrats on the corn buzzard

Comment

Congrats nice bird!

Comment

Congrats on the bird!!

What public land you hunting? PM me if you don't want it known...

Comment

Congrats!

Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X