A Crook and a Drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Crook and a Drop

Last year at the beginning of November my boss's cousin gave us permission to hunt a 123 acre property that his family owns in DeWitt county. It has sat there for years with little to no activity.it has very thick cover although the land around it is pretty open. W were not too sure if it would be very productive but we got set up with stands feeders and cameras and were pleasantly surprised when some really nice bucks started showing up on cameras. We were never able to close the deal on any of them so fast forward to this year. I was getting pics of a nice buck that we nicknamed "Crook". I had a lot of pics of him but he never showed up when I was there. That all changed last Friday. We wrapped up some jobs on Thursday and my boss said " what do you think about us just taking off and going hunting tomorrow?" I was more than ready to take him up on his offer. Although I had lots of pics of Crook all of them were weekday pics. He never seemed to show himself on the weekend days. I settled in to my Gametamer lock on that Friday morning a little while before the feeder went off at 6:30. Nothing showed until I looked up across the feed pen at 7:30 and saw the face and part of an antler of a buck sticking out of the brush. At first I thought it was one of the young 8's that sometimes showed up. Then he stepped out and it was Crook. He walked around the feed pen and jumped in almost under my oak tree but didn't offer a shot. He ate corn facing me for a bit and then the wind swirled a little and he startled and ran and jumped out of the pen. I thought that's it he is gone but he stopped right outside the pen and started eating on the few kernels of corn that the feeder manages to throw outside the fence. He was feeding away from me and I drew and had to wait for him to clear a couple bushes. As soon as he was clear I took a perfect slightly quartering away shot and watched the Axis arrow and Muzzy three blade hit home. He raced down a sendero and was quickly out of sight. I knew it was a good hit and only waited about 15 minutes before getting down and checking my arrow. It was totaling covered in blood. Immediately in front of the arrow was a red highway. I followed it down the overgrown sendero for 60 yards and found a Crook and a Drop.
    Attached Files

Nice!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats. Cool looking buck.

Comment

Congratulations...............really cool looking buck!

Comment

Cool. Congratulations.

Comment

Cool looking rack. Any more pics from the front?

Comment

Way to go, very nice!

Comment

Good shot and congrats!

Comment

Cool buck!!

Comment

Congrats on a nice buck.

Comment

Front view.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Awsome buck

Comment

The blood trail I followed looked like this from the arrow to the deer. Entered his left shoulder and because of the quartering away angle, exited out his neck and must have cut his jugular.
                            Attached Files

Comment

awesome looking deer!

Comment

Working...
                              X