Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

"I wanna go hunting she said"(long read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I wanna go hunting she said"(long read)

My 6 year old had been asking to tag along on my sits at our home place so we set up a pop-up blind and brushed it all in. I asked her later that afternoon if she was ready to go hunt and she ran to change her shirt into a camo shirt. We settled in, shortly after the turkey parade began just across the creek from us. I introduced her to the range finder and how to use it. Wasn't long she was telling me that tree is "42 miles" . I corrected her that it was yards not miles
    After watching the turkeys pass just out of reach, she spotted 3 turkeys passing to our right. "Daddy I see 3 turkeys!!!"
    Ok, stay quiet and don't move!
    They continued to pass heading away from us out of range. Call them she tells me! I gave a few hen chirps just with my mouth and it was enough for the girls to come over and dine on corn kernels.
    I tell her I'm going to shoot the big one, as I'm drawing back she tells me "21 miles daddy"
    I released an arrow and shot just under my target hen. "I think you missed" she tells me, I nocked another arrow and draw back again as the hens hadn't scared much. Just as I lean toward the opening of the pop up a limping hen passes broadside. I had nicked one of her legs with the first attempt. The second arrow found its mark perfectly. She flapped her wings plowing along the ground for about 10 yards and expired.
    She was so excited to see it all unfold. I've told her stories of hunts before but for her to be able to see it first hand was awesome!! She says she's "ready to shoot a buck with her bow now" I told her she can continue with her target practice before she moves on to animals !
    I think she's hooked for sure now!!!

Awesome hunt!

Congratulations to you both!

Comment

Congrats. I can't wait until my little boy (15 months) can go hunting with me. We're just down the road from you in Stockdale.

Comment

Great story

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

You both will remember that day hunt forever I bet

Comment

So cool!

Comment

Great hunt there congrats to you both.

Comment

We were both so pumped! I think my wife heard the story 6 times over from both of us combined.

Comment

That's awesome man ! Good job !

Comment

That's good stuff right there, congrats.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Thanksgiving turkey!! Cool!

Comment

Good stuff

Comment

You got yourself a true hunting partner there! Congrats.

Comment

Working...
                              X